iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I think Brad was talking about the fall foliage, not an actual fire if that is what you were thinking. ??? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

Had a job today. Started out great with getting a flat tire on the mill in route to the site. Thankfully I always carry a spare. Arrived and the guy had absolutely done no prep. He had a skid steer but didn't hardly kne

w how to run it. Early on I was certain the day was going to be a ADMIN EDITED BAD WORD I SHOULD NOT TRY TO DISGUISE show but it actually turned out ok. Thankfully I quoted it by the hour. Ended up cutting some nice, wide red oak. About 450 bf. The customer was happy with what he ended up with and I ended up whole so all in all not a bad day.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

JRWoodchuck

Thule was that the biggest can't you've ever made?!! Also was that from that big load of monster Ponderosa you got in last summer?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

doc henderson

thanks Howard.   I actually got that but the word fire reminded me of a local family that we are talking to about a bunch of standing dead walnut.  When we talk with them, we never arrive at an understanding of what they want to do.  they say they do not want it to go to waste, but they may be in the "it should be worth al lot of money" camp.  so we cont. to visit from time to time, and hope they decide what their motivation is.  they are business people so they seem to want the best of all worlds.  should make good lumber and firewood.  the question is for whom and how much ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

When I run into people like you discuss I just tell them after they have a tree service cut the trees down then they can call me and I will saw their logs for them. If they don't want them sawed up into lumber and just want them gone I will look at the logs and decide if I can move them and if it is worth my tie and effort.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

Thank you Olcowhand.  I do not feel older yet, maybe after I have my coffee.
Tule that log is almost too pretty to saw.
Howard, in this case they are actually nice people, and the son owns one of the two local breweries.  they are out of there element.  the son is young in his 20s and is trying to speak for the parents.  hopefully will get together someday.  will only take the deal if we can make a reasonable deal.  they do some rustic wood stuff in the bar.  We enjoy the place so will not let their lack of information ruin the deal.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Happy Birthday @doc henderson  glad you had another!

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

thanks everyone!  I have the cedar order guy coming in an hour or so.  a cup of coffee and listening to the news.  such a great family here.  God bless you all.  I am 62 today.  Thanks Sam and Resonator!
Doc.

OlJarhead

This monster maple is what I was sawing yesterday after splitting it with my chainsaw rig :) 

We got some pretty awesome stuff out of it but half of the log was too punky.  Still, super nice stuff!

And the chainsaw work?  Ya, it was tough! lol I forgot how much it took.  With the Granberg slabber and my 572XP (that replaced my squashed 576xp) took 5 minutes to make a 20" cut through the log.  We quatered it up after a lot of extra effort as the log was 40x43" at the small end and over 56" at the fork!  Took a lot of wedges and extra work as I could only get 20" with my 28" bar.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

boonesyard

Hey Doc, Happy Birthday! We happen to share B-days on the same day, have a good one!
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

doc henderson

Well that is cool.  thank you and the same for you.  I will try to catch up with you, but that will be tough.   :)  please have a great day!  Doc.

doc henderson

looks like i am getting tracks, tensioners, and rollers with a little service thrown in for my birthday.  Pick up the machine late this afternoon.

Deese

Moved a fair amount of lumber this week. Currently 7:33pm and last customer just left with his gooseneck loaded with 129--1x11x16' & 18'. I edged them all this morning. A productive week. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on October 14, 2022, 02:01:42 PM
looks like i am getting tracks, tensioners, and rollers with a little service thrown in for my birthday.  Pick up the machine late this afternoon.
Happy Birthday guys! Did you get your machine Doc?

doc henderson

Yes and it drives smooth.  It is prob. all I will get for my birthday!   :)

Walnut Beast

Good deal!!! Hope you get a little Birthday cake!!

Ianab

Got back to the backyard salvage site again. Making a start on the big log. It's got a few bark inclusions and random spots of rot, but cutting around those I'm getting some good boards.  MIll is maxed out on log size, but the end supports are on boards so we can shuffle the whole mile side to side a little to increase the cut width, without messing up the levels. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hilltopper46

Definitely NOT a saw log.

Mulberry. Sawing for bowl blanks.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

WV Sawmiller

Sorry but no pictures - my camera is in the shop for repair.

My last customer I sawed for on 6 October told his neighbor about me and the neighbor called me to come saw for him so I did so today. He had 9 pine logs from 8-12 ft long and we sawed them into 4/4 and 8/4 lumber. We ended up with about 1450 bf of lumber. The customer was a retired Marine. his cousin, another retired Marine and a neighbor with a smaller mill came by to watch. We probably spent too much time talking about the Corps and the difference in mill types and features and I had a great time and he says he'll be calling me back when he gets some more logs in the next few weeks.

As icing on the cake the first customer met at the start of the day and advised me when he unloaded the trailer last time he found some overlooked boards he had miscounted when we did our tally and paid me an extra $71. It is great to have honest customers. :)

I stopped by my son's place and set up and left the mill. I did saw one small WO into 4/4 before dark. He has 3-4 more I will do in the next day or so.
Howard Green

Daburner87

Got a guy who wanted a 10/4 slab of red oak 9ft long.  Not sure if he's actually gonna buy anything, he's gone back and forth with me for a few weeks.  Pretty heavy stuff, the log itself was not the best but only one I had 9ft long so it is what it is.  Slabbed it all up and stacked it on another red oak log I slabbed up a couple weeks ago.   Part of me regrets it as I could have gotten a lot of dimensional lumber out of that log for a shed I'm building next year, but I still have 5 more 8ft oak logs to get through.  Winter Is Coming!

HM130Max Woodlander XL

WV Sawmiller

I went up to my son's place 10 miles away and finished sawing the last 5-6 WO and RO logs he had. I sawed one small log into 2/4 for deer blind material and the rest into 4/4 bords. I sawed about 330 bf/sf today and just called a repeat customer who wanted a couple hundred feet so that should work out well for both of them. I brought the mill home but still need to unload the tools and such in the morning.

I passed 2 big 8-10 point whitetail bucks on the way home that looked like they were ready to tie up for a fight so the rut is nearly here. It was right at sunset and I saw lots of smaller deer too.

My camera is still in for repair so no pictures.
Howard Green

Ianab

Still chipping away at the Macrocarpa logs when I have free time. Flipping a part sawed log over to get a live edge slab, Hard to judge scale, but it's ~10cm (4") thick. Luckily the homeowner had his son and some mates around to use his home gym, so they get a bit of extra weight training in. We also wrangled the part sawed log on the right up onto the base, so I can trim that down.  Leaving the slabs for the homeowner as I have enough already.  

Check the trees we are working under. That tire swing on the right is a full size tractor tire hanging from the middle tree. Probably 10ft dbh?, and on the back lawn. 

Bought a load of nice cypress home yesterday. A few defects and some punky sapwood in places (tree was standing dead), but getting some completely clear boards too. That's the stump of the tree behind the trailer. It was a "safety" removal, so they didn't bother taking the last chunk down, and the township has just planted some native trees around it. There is a public walkway on the other side of the stump. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cornerstone

Happy to finally be able to post here. These were post oak logs that have been cut into timbers for a timber frame house. I've cut a little over 4500 bf. so far on my home built sawmill.  

We made all of the off cuts 8/4 boards.

Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Thank You Sponsors!