iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

We ran out of "The King's Pines" but still have some good ones :-X Red rot can be an issue in many stands. Weevil an issue for regeneration. The red pines are (old) plantations, mostly seem to go for utility poles if good or pulp/biomass. When they are successively thinned it reverts to hardwood, clearcuts to aspen or white pine

Vautour

@Resonator ...i would say that the white pines in your area and ours are the same species of trees being geographically close to each other, but when the harvester do a clear cut they leave out the big pines standing, these trees are the tallest trees on the East Coast and can grow to 130' in height and live between 200 and 400 years old,.. maybe saw mills don't want these these massive trees??  
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

jasonb

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2022, 08:07:55 PMalways remember to support long "overhangers" to prevent them from drooping as you saw

I had to make me a support for 10'-11' logs.  It took me awhile, but I finally figured out why some boards ended up having 1 end thicker than the other.
HM122

Southside

About every camp I have ever been into up north had white pine paneling, be it V match or boards, kinda expect it that way.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: 2 Jugs on December 08, 2022, 07:46:29 AMIt took me awhile, but I finally figured out why some boards ended up having 1 end thicker than the other.
One reason that I dislike sawing 20' logs is because they reach beyond the movable bed rails and even two feet of unsupported log or cant can be troublesome.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I suppose that this could go in the "Not Sawing" board.  Customer helper conflicts moved this week's sawing to next week and now the weather will move it until mid January.  Unless I decide to pick up a couple of the one day jobs on my list it....

Looks like I can extend my R&R time another month.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on December 08, 2022, 11:06:30 AMLooks like I can extend my R&R time another month.
If I ever make a "Did something dumb today" statement like the above again I hope that someone grabs my phone and mashes the mute button.  no_no

Looks like I will be sawing SYP 1X12's Monday and finishing Tuesday.  Then there is a serious possibility for a 120 mile road trip Friday sawing Red Oak for a repeat customer.  move_it

Magicman

A customer that I sawed for several times this year just sent me this picture of his building project in progress.

I'll be back sawing the lumber for the lake cabin next Spring.

randy d

MM you should feel very proud to look at that pic and know that you sawed most of the boards for that building. I have three barns that I sawed most of the lumber and I feel good every time I see them. Randy

Magicman

Not most all, and yes, it gives me a nice feeling that my lumber will be enjoyed by so many for years to come.

The above picture was taken before I began sawing one morning.  I see that the operator's seat is off so I was sawing 20' 12X12 timbers that day.  I made at least 4 different trips to his location.

Andries

Those are beautiful photos and MM, you can be proud of the results of all of your hard work.
 It's a legacy!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

Vautour, around here most of the framing lumber I saw is red pine. White pine is not as strong. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for framing so long as it is sized accordingly. The timber framers I'm sawing for use it for large structural members exclusively. White pine is so nice and stable, rarely any surprises with it. 

The WP I'm currently sawing for the aforementioned timber framers is all wide 1x and 2x material, 8, 10, 12, and 14" widths that will be used for paneling and exposed roof decking. 
Too many irons in the fire

Wlmedley

Uprooted pitch pine making some pretty good 2" lumber.I've decided from now on I am going to use my pine for 2x's and use poplar for 1" sheeting .I've cut quite a few 2x's from poplar but pine seems to behave much better when drying.Wondering if this is others experience.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

barbender

Just short of 4000bf of white pine 1x and 2x stuffed on the piggyback truck. The piggyback forklift actually limited how much we could get on the bed, because I had mostly 12' material sawn and we didn't have room for a second rank of 12' with the lift on the back. I stuffed one 12' package on top once the lift was loaded up.

Southside

Yes, poplar, especially from smaller logs, will move a fair bit when drying.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Eleven SYP logs ranging from about 14" to 29", to be sawn into 1X12's & 2X4's.

The 29" butt log was first.

1955bf and two ruined "rock hit" blades.

I have a 120 mile (one way) one day road trip scheduled for Friday which I hope will be my last sawing job this year.  It will be slabbing Red Oak logs for a repeat customer.

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Notice that the grass is still green too.  :D

barbender

Haha I'll remember this when it is 98° and 200% humidity down there next summer, Magic!😊

Resonator

Way down south there "snow" is sold in cones with cherry flavor on a hot day. cone_1
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Must make for tough sledding, kinda like Maine in July. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jasonb

And with the hot weather down here, the mosquitoes are still out in force at dusk.
HM122

Magicman

@2 Jugs, That one day road trip Friday will be in Prairieville, so I will be in your back yard.

I will also be close to @BigZ La who is in Donaldsonville.

Beavertooth

I finished my last big job of the year Nov. 17.  It was a 12000bf plus job that I went back for half a day to finished. My wife had a heart attack Nov 9 so I just went back to finish it up and put everything else on hold to stay home with her till after the first of the new year. (I am thankful to my Lord and Master Jesus Christ that she is still here with me) I have sawed a few logs up that people have brought me here at home since the.  The pictures that I am posting is first the picture I showed the customer on the 12000bf job of how he should stack his lumber. The other pictures are how he actually stacked it. 🙄🙄 The sad thing is the majority of people I saw for

think that just stacking it any o way is good enough. This job was a mixture of pine, sycamore, poplar and some cherry. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Nice job Craig, and you are correct on the stickering.  It seems that to some folks, stickering means stacking.

I was alarmed to hear about your Wife, but pleased to hear that she is still there with you and yes, I agree that your first priority for now is her.  If you need me you know where I am.

Thank You Sponsors!