iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Magicman,
         I showed a customer the exact same polished bolt head today.  I thought I lowered it all the way.
 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Deese

Fat Lighter syp 1x10x12's and some nice straight syp 3/4"x8"x16'

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Walnut Beast

caveman

Quote from: Deese on March 19, 2022, 02:02:28 AMFat Lighter syp 1x10x12's
Those are from fast growing trees that must have come from a good site.  I doubt a glug of dish soap or laundry detergent is going to keep your blade shiny while sawing that-the cherry flavored lube likely does better.  I'm glad to see you posing pics of what you are sawing.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Deese,

Those lightard boards are probably worth more if you saw them into 6" X 1/2" strips and sell them for fire starter than you can get for them as lumber. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Actually fresh sawn lighter is not the best starter wood.  I've tried it.  It does not compare with stumps because it still contains an excessive amount of moisture.

Some bookmatched that I sawed last week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I'm having visions of Chevy Chase with magazine pages stuck to his hands.

I went to get those cedar logs today.  There were 30 of them and I could not get all in one trip.  The average size at the small end was probably 10 or 11 inches, so I think I will get some good lumber.  There were a few that may have a little heart rot, but nothing too bad.  He said he kept the bad ones out of the pile to sell.  They are all unloaded and I'm gonna go back to the get the rest this afternoon.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Look forward to the pictures of it on the mill

caveman

JMoore and I sawed a few overripe longleaf pine logs for a customer this afternoon.  Some of the sapwood had termites crawling in it and the butt log had some hardware within.  We smacked metal on two consecutive cuts.  The first metal strike caused the blade to dive a bit, but we pushed it out the other end of the log and installed another blade, only to curl a dozen or so teeth on the blade.  We flicked the curly cues off and kept sawing for a couple more hundred board feet.  We installed the third blade on the third log.

These logs produce some 12" and 14" wide all heart boards.

Caveman

Brad_bb

Funny the latest topics are lightening struck logs and shake....
I just finally cut this Walnut, 27" small end, 30"big end.  As you can see it has ring shake likely from lighting strike.  Ants moved in on one end mostly in the center part.   So I used the chainsaw to section it into 4 pieces that I could then mill 4.5x8.5 flat sawn brace stock, 90BF Total yeild.  Yes it took extra time, but walnut is worth it to me.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Walnut Beast

Interesting! Nice save 👍

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 19, 2022, 01:48:30 PM
Look forward to the pictures of it on the mill
Me too.  Hopefully this week.  I'm gonna finish the stacking platform and then I will commence sawing the cedar.  I left the second load of logs on the trailer so I can just pull them off and go to the mill instead of double handling.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

This black gold log that was laying across the creek for 7+ years is going to be a good one. Solid as can be on the top. The split on the bottom root must have happened when it fell over years ago. Probably cut it after I pick up the super duper high dollar Timberking carbide blades this week 

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Yes, the fire starter needs to be dry but it is late in the firewood season so I'm working on the the premise that by the next time anyone needs them they will be dry enough to use. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

A small 10' ash log I salvaged off a tree I cut for firewood. The logs seemed pretty solid so I decided to see if they'd make decent lumber.  

Another 10' log and an 8' butt log. The 10' log was going bad and had a horizontal crack about 3' from one end. That is what is making the trees so dangerous to cut. Both the log above and the butt log had a good bit of spalting but were pretty solid and made decent boards  

At the end I had 175 bf of 4/4 lumber. Used 1.1 engine hours. No speed records but decent steady sawing and some nice stock lumber to use or sell. While I was sawing an old repeat customer came and bout 30 bf of 1"X6"X10' boards. Sometimes they get lucky and I have what they can use.

I had another neighbor come by this morning and got a 20' pole and an 8' locust post off a locust tree I just dragged down yesterday. It had uprooted and I was dragging some poplar tops down with the ATV for cleanup. I cut it up for some low grade firewood and even got a low grade saw log or two that will make some 1X6 or maybe eve 1X8s. Not high quality but they will make bird houses that will sell at the flea market and local outfitter store that also sell plants and such. They sell a few tomato stakes and raised planters they get from me. It works good for all of us.
Howard Green

Magicman

I continued sawing on my job today making 2X5 & 2X7 Post Oak trailer decking and then 1X12's from those big SYP logs for B&B siding.  I did not scale but it was about 1800bf.  No pictures of the lumber but I did have a visitor.

FF member "Beavertooth" stopped by for a quick chat and picture.

We have a possible severe storm forecast to pass through at midday tomorrow, so no sawing by me.  They have even closed the schools tomorrow. 

My last day (for now) on this job will be Wednesday because I have a 'whole house' framing lumber job scheduled to begin Thursday.  I will return to this site after we get back from the "Project".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Beavertooth

Lynn sawing in the Magicman recliner. 

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Making 2X6's out of kinda pecker pole logs and the wind was bad.....right in my face.  :-X

Thanks for stopping by Craig.  8)

Andries

Mr. Magicman looks like he's at home in that recliner!
;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

TimW

Started sawing the framing lumber for my whole house customer.  He came and helped on the 16 foot 1x12s.  These 2x12s will be roof trusses.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2022, 09:02:30 PM
Making 2X6's out of kinda pecker pole logs and the wind was bad.....right in my face.  :-X

Thanks for stopping by Craig.  8)
Are you wearing goggles? It looks like it in one picture. I know what you mean by wind in your face. I was wearing a dust mask with a very nasty wind but safety glasses don't cut it. Kept getting in my eyes. I could barely see with a 20 mph wind. And Diesel doesn't listen he was dusted in yellow gold

DWyatt

Based on @Magicman  sawing totals for each day, I am surprise you can get pictures that aren't blurry as he zooms back and forth in that recliner!

Magicman

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 21, 2022, 11:44:28 PMAre you wearing goggles?
No goggles but they would have helped.  I wear these:  Bifocal Amber Safety Glasses
Thankfully the wind was short term yesterday.  In this instance, the terrain dictated that I had to set up facing the South which I always try to avoid.

Yup, that recliner is da old man's friend, and also notice da step stool because it was steep off of the operator's side.   ;D 

We have passing showers this morning and the heavy stuff is forecast to arrive early afternoon.  No sawing 'till tomorrow.

doc henderson

i think this may have been a modeling gig, MM working for WM.  Wait for the spring catalog to come out!   :o :o :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

When the 2023 calendar comes out, i hope he is at least wearing the apron and the boots.   ;) :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!