iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How's this for a foreign object?

Started by kelLOGg, February 02, 2022, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I hit barbed wire in one of a customer's pine logs so I told him I would have to cut the bottom 2 feet off because I couldn't get the wire out. OK, he said and the bottom 2 feet laid on the ground at my mill for 2 years. It came time to split firewood so I added the pine to the mix for the fire pit. Here's what I found. Makes the barbed wire look like child's play. About 3/4" diameter and a foot long with 6" exposed. Glad I stopped sawing.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Looks like an old J-bolt for hanging a gate. It would probably have left a mark if you had sawed into it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I've sawn through a couple of those telephone company J-bolts in the past!

I now know for sure that a Wood-Mizer Double Hard 10° blade will cut all the way through, but afterwards it will leave unwanted marks on your lumber!   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rusticretreater

That object looks rather domesticated to me.  :)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

Whew.  you had me going.  I saw an abdominal x-ray about 40 years ago.  the radiologist identified the object as a wind-up alarm clock with the bells on top.  He stated that had they got a third film in a tangential view, he could have told what time the alarm was set to go off.   :o   8)   :)   these days it would be a smart phone.  well time to go to work...  :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

This is my all-time most 'foreign' object to find inside of a log.

Yup, it's a broken off T fence post that was approximately 45' up the log from the butt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

longtime lurker

Quote from: Magicman on February 02, 2022, 09:03:30 PM

This is my all-time most 'foreign' object to find inside of a log.

Yup, it's a broken off T fence post that was approximately 45' up the log from the butt.
Hurricane or tornado country.

This picture was taken post Cyclone Larry in 2006 but it's still there today and the tree is quite healthily growing around it
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

doc henderson

kelLOGg

VWSawmiller goes to the head of the class.  8)

It was a bear to get it out but I got a lot of light wood kindling in the process. The upper J-bolt had been removed (I never hit any foreign matter in the remainder of the log). I should have just burned it out but for some stupid reason I was determined not to.

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Well, you're ahead of me, I've never hit a gate hinge!

Usually that sort of stuff is found in "Yard Trees"!   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

When I sawed through them I was wondering "what was that"?

OK the round one was a bolt but what about the other?

Looks like it could be a Monkey Wrench.

Yup, it was a Monkey Wrench!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Oh, that's where I left it. I've been looking for that. ;D

DMcCoy

Have any of you eastern guys ever hit a musket ball?  I hit bullets and shotgun pellets but our foreign object history is less antique.

Magicman

That would be very doubtful because we are talking 150+ years ago when muzzleloaders were in regular use.  Lead balls would not have retained their round shape and would not have penetrated much past the bark.

Yes, I hit bullets quite regularly.

Here is an ERC that had been shot with steel shotgun shot.  It destroyed the blade.

petefrom bearswamp

Not while sawing but hit a bullet with my planer 3 days ago.
Like MM hit a good number of bullets when sawing along with arrow head 20' up in a Red pine. Guy must have been squirrel hunting.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TroyC

Looking at all these 'foreign objects' makes me think I might need a metal detector.......   

dbroswoods

Don't need a metal detector when you have a sawmill you'll find all the metal with your blades😃😃😃

moodnacreek

I used to hang that stuff on the wall, ran out of room. The trick is to not find any.

Magicman

I wish that I had kept all of the metal that I have dug out of logs during the past 20 years.  ::)

I have two metal detector wands on my truck, but they are for the customer's use, not mine.  I don't hit metal often enough to for either of us to scan every log.  I can usually see evidence that will identify suspicious logs that may need to be scanned.

kelLOGg

Quote from: DMcCoy on February 04, 2022, 08:34:00 AM
Have any of you eastern guys ever hit a musket ball?  I hit bullets and shotgun pellets but our foreign object history is less antique.
Yes!
see reply 102 in Most unique foreign object. in Sawmills and Milling (forestryforum.com)

moodnacreek

Horse shoes used to be a common hit. The age and location of the tree is good to know. Young trees inside boundaries or quite safe save for broad heads, hunting bullets are no problem. Old trees on the side that where there when the people where should not be put on a mill. They are almost guaranteed to wreck a saw.

Thank You Sponsors!