iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha catchn’?

Started by SawyerTed, April 16, 2022, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Are they like a white fish for taste, meat? Have never seen or eaten any here, caveman. I'm sure they taste good, just different fish. Everyone, no matter where they are at likes good stuff. ffsmiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

I caught a good-sized flounder that did not make the picture.  It has about the whitest flesh of any fish I've seen and a flakey, almost sweet taste.  The snappers have firm, white meat but have a little red near the skin.  They do not have a strong taste but are not quite as mild as flounder.  We blackened snapper last night and tonight.  Tomorrow, I may fry some battered in cornmeal.

We caught some mackerel also but the one we kept is in the freezer.  My five-year-old grandson wants to catch a shark.  Mackerel is a very good shark bait.  If he can catch a 3-4' bonnet head or blacktip, he'll be on cloud nine.
Caveman

YellowHammer

A one minute video of our latest trip to the gulf for red snapper.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6Dyws2zAAFA?feature=share

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Loved that video YH!
Ocean, boats, fishing and a very happy Martha. 
You're working hard and Livin' the dream. 
:thumbsup:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Looks like a great time on the water.  :thumbsup:

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

We had a ball.  One of those very rare trips where the weather was beautiful every day, the boat was working great, the fish were biting hard, and I had people in the boat who would let me scout and leave average fish to find bigger fish without getting bored.

When I take people out, I sometimes have to act like a charter captain because the passengers want to be fishing, and as long as I can get them on fish, any fish, they are happy.  I like to fish bass style, and that means hit hole after hole after hole to learn the hot patterns and then come back and milk run and whack and stack the whoppers. 

This trip, the Gulf Stream current was running funky, and there was a better current 10 miles in vs 20 miles out, and it meant the fishing was better in close.  However, it also meant I had to scout to find spots the locals weren't hammering which means if I got on a spot that had only decent fish it meant leaving for greener pastures, cranking the engines and and scouting for another spot.  Which means looking and not fishing.  However, when I would find the hidden spot, we would rack up, and better yet on lures.  Specifically, I realized that some of the county concrete piles and fish attractors in about 70 feet of water had been moved by the hurricanes a couple years ago about 1/4 mile west of where they were supposed to be.  So the people who used to fish them couldn't find them, and once I patterned their movement, I was about to locate unfished spots, time after time.  The people with me were experienced to know what I doing and we did better day after day as I found more and more "lost" and unfished spots loaded with snappers, amberjacks and all kinds of stuff. 

It was a fun one.  I love my ocean fishing.    

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Andries

Well, that story just goes to prove what I've always thought about you, Robert.
You've got that crafty, fishy smell about you.
Not sure I could come up with a bigger compliment.
:thumbsup:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Thanks!  It was fun coming back to the dock and listening to the other boats complain how bad the fishing was offshore, (they had not figured out the good current rip near shore) how they had caught nothing but short fish, and how they were having to go 30 miles offshore.  Then they would ask how far out we caught ours?  30 miles, 40?  Cuba?  I'd put on my redneck persona on and say "Nope I could see the Home Depot sign up on the "bank" from where we were catching".   ffcheesy ffcheesy

YellowHammerisms:

JD Guy

@YellowHammer Great story and better results. Your "location information" reminded me of folks asking where we successfully duck hunted. Our response was always "Broad River". Of course we didn't say "THE Broad River" as there is a actual river by that name ffcheesy

We weren't lying but not entirely truthful ffwave because we weren't hunting that river at all!

Otis1

A few years ago we were out on a popular chain of lakes in northern Wisconsin. We were going slow through a channel when some tourists asked me where the fish were at. 

I looked directly at them, then down at the water, and then directly back at them, pointed and said "Down there".

I don't think they appreciated my answer

SawyerTed

Some fish Emily caught this year.   She has been top rod this year!  I've been happy seeing her success.  

That's a 9 pound 9 ounce Speckled Trout/Spotted Sea Trout. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SwampDonkey

That trout looks closer to 16 lbs, I think the scales is broke.
Nice fishes.  ffsmiley :thumbsup:

Our speckled trout (brook trout) are fresh water, except a race that has one different gene, where they go to sea and return to spawn. That trout can be born with others who are normal brook trout from the same spawn. Nature is fascinating. ;) That fact has given rise to the term, 'sea run trout'. Which are bigger trout usually. Although I have caught fresh water ones 10 lbs, but in remote hard to get at regions, or reserved water, or near no fishing zones. Brook trout tend to grow a deep belly and not long length like salmon. My favorite ones to eat are the 6-12" ones, fried in butter. They are more typical size of our small creeks.

Thank You Sponsors!