iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Switch from spur to rim on a 61

Started by DHansen, May 01, 2022, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Putting the 7 tooth sprocket on the 61 Saturday morning.  Will compare performance between the two.  Lots of cutting left to do.   

Yes, the straight line winds are what caused all the damage here on Memorial day at about 7:00 pm.  Took the tops off several tall pines.  The wet soil caused the one to uproot and cut my pole barn in half.   The oaks and maples stayed rooted, but we're snapped off. 

Al_Smith

Oaks will take a lot of wind where as tough wood like hickory will snap like a tooth pick .A property known almost forever because oak as rule was what was used for great sailing ships in the days of wind jammers for masts .Pine for the most part are mountain trees with shallow roots as opposed to most hardwoods with deep tap roots .In this deep organic soil in these parts they blow right over roots and all .This last big blow I saw hickories broken off 4 feet up where they were 2 feet in diameter and solid broken like tooth picks .Mother nature can really be cruel hearted at times and a force never to be taken lightly . 

HolmenTree

When I bought my 395XP-32" brand new it came from the factory with a 7T - 3/8" rim sprocket.
Bigger is not always better.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

With a large saw, like near 100 cc and over it's not so much about speed just power ..

DHansen

When I use the 550xp and also the 61 in the same day, what I notice is rpm vs torque.  They both cut nice, but the 550 uses rpm and narrow kerf.  The 61 is using torque.   I think the 61 gets more work done, but it may just be me.  I like old stuff.  I am not knocking the 550, as it is very reliable and a very easy starting saw.

Al_Smith

On that there is a lot to be said about torque versus speed .Being a collector, restorer I can say the weight of those old reed valve engines actually helps you in some situations like chunking up fire wood .A modern saw might crank on in the cut at 12,000 and the reeder at 8,000 but the oldie running .404 chain takes a bigger bite .Certainly the newer will be faster but not that much at the end of the day .I'm at the age now the boat anchors aren't used that much but I still give them a go every so often just to hear them snort .

DHansen

I was unaware there were reed valve chainsaws.  Thought they were all piston port, but it makes sense.  Lots of other two strokes in marine and cycles have gone both ways.

DHansen

Just a follow up on the Husqvarna 61 which is now running the 7 pin drive sprocket. The saw cuts great with either the 7 or 8 pin drive sprocket.  The chain speed difference is noticeable.  No issues with running out of torque with the 18" bar.  The saw is a nice workhorse.   I could go either way here, but the speed of the chain running the 8 pin drive sprocket makes fast work of cuts, really quite impressive.  I will be cutting all weekend with it in the 7 pin configuration and see if I notice any additional differences or issues.   

DHansen

DHansen

Update.  I prefer the 7 pin in the red oak where the whole bar is needed.  The added torque is noticeable.  The speed of the 8 pin is cool, but not practical in hard wood and 16-20" of a cut.  Just my opinion.

Walnut Beast

Nice arsenal of recovery straps and winch. Looks like you have the big daddy strap if you need it! 💪

DHansen

Had to use the strap today to keep the oak from entering the roadway when I dropped it. Three oaks and an ash today.  Stopped for lunch.  Homemade pheasant pot pie.

JD Guy

Forget the wood, I want me some of that pheasant pot pie😋😋

FWIW, I went to a 7 pin rim on my workhorse Stihl MS 290 last year and my results were the same as yours..The vast majority of our firewooding is hardwoods, Red, White and Water Oaks.

DHansen

I enjoy a good pheasant hunt.  My buddy in the photo, Fred has been gone now for almost 2 years.

Spike60

Fred looks like quite the companion. No doubt you miss him a lot. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

15 and a half years and was an excellent companion.  Never needed a leash or tied up. Always right by waiting at the truck, front door or by my side.  He knew even the cadence of my voice and picked up on that to know what was expected.  Someday, when I am ready, I will get another hunting companion and friend. 

thecfarm

My first dog was like that. 
Then we another one and was not as good.
Then a third one.  ::)
Seem like every time they get "dumber"  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JD Guy

Quote from: DHansen on March 05, 2023, 11:28:05 AM
15 and a half years and was an excellent companion.  Never needed a leash or tied up. Always right by waiting at the truck, front door or by my side.  He knew even the cadence of my voice and picked up on that to know what was expected.  Someday, when I am ready, I will get another hunting companion and friend.
I know your journey only too well, he looks like a great one! We just recently buried our 14-1/2 year old GSP Millie and at 72 I'm hesitant to find another bird dog, just don't know if I'll be able to give it the hunting it deserves.

DHansen

The memories are great.  The photo of Fred and Myself it was -4° F for a high that day.  Was a great day and I need more days like that one.  Thankful for every healthy day God gives me.  

Thank You Sponsors!