Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Fire pit chairs headed for Wisconsin.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

beenthere

We'll gladly accept them.. thanks a bunch.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

97redjeep

Another picnic table, getting pretty efficient at these, might have to start selling them rather than giving them away lol

HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

firefighter ontheside

I don't like it a lot, but I finally got a decent finish on the this table top.  There's a couple dust nibs that I need to take care of and buff it.  I am going to deliver this thing tomorrow night.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

8) 8) 8) 8) THAT was a long time and a lot of labor in coming out! Good on ya man! I go through this a lot more often than you do (like almost every job) and am dealing with it now on the bar, but I am glad you got it out and it looks great!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

Steam bent walnut for my Moon Lamp today.  I'm not experienced with the art which seems partly witchcraft with a little science.  Had compression wood failures on the inside of my part the first time.  The pressures made with a back bending strap are extreme.

This is my cobbled up steam box.  A Wagner wall paper steamer provides steam.  I replaced the OEM hose with a short length of radiator hose which delivers lots more hot steam.

This was the first good bend which is now drying.  Some may recognize my bending strap. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

aigheadish

I don't know a lot about steam bending but that looks like quite the tight curve for your first go, Larry! Well done!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

JRWoodchuck

Nice use of an old bandsaw blade!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

WV Sawmiller

While my mom was visiting I decided I'd go ahead and show her a couple of items I routinely make. I first made a raised planter. It is 4' long, 2' wide, 1' deep and on 3' legs. I sell a few at a local bait shop who sells plants and need to take one to a bigger shop up the road to see if they want some.

Next I made a bench "kit". I took an old white oak 8/4 LE slab and trimmed it a little and cut to about 3' long on the RAS. Next I took a wire brush to the soft punky sapwood on one side. (I don't know why it was only soft on one side.) and knocked it off.  Next I bored 1.5" mortises in the corners using my auger bit. I planed the top smooth then cut 4 legs about 22" long and planed them smooth, ran them through the planer to smooth and finish them to the same size. Then I clamped each leg in the vise and cut the 1.5" X 3" long tenon on each leg. They are now ready for installation and cut them to length. I'll take them with me to an upcoming workshop to do that. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

How will you ever trim those legs? :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, did you really have to ask?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I assume he will take the mill!? :) :) :)

terrifictimbersllc

I'm a bit surprised that you don't find pieces of the bench in the neighbors yard when you trim the legs like that!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

My concern has always been the whole bench will be lodged up in a tree somewhere and interfear with squirrel reproduction

WV Sawmiller

Oh ye of little faith! :( :( :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on March 25, 2023, 02:44:49 PM
I may be wrong but I was assuming there would be one in the vicinity we could use. Maybe we can find a trained operator to run it for us. :D :D :D
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

Maybe you can make a box that you can set the bench upside down in and cut the legs off with a handsaw...

I bought a set of rail and stile bits to make interior or exterior doors several years ago.  Haven't made any doors yet, but I put some elm boards in the shop months ago that would be for a door.  Well, I decided tomorrow is the day to start working on that.  I will probably just make it 4 panel door with elm rail and stiles and some poplar panels.  I have some neat looking poplar 4/4 with lots of knots and eyes that will make for an interesting door.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

A trick I used on doors was to make them over sized and trim to final fit.  Took a whole lot of sweat out of the picture.                               
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

FFOTS,

I bet I can find a faster and easier way. :D :D
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

Good point TR.  I will make it just a little too big and then either trim down with circular saw or power hand planer.  With the planer I can add a little bevel to the latch side.  The door it is going to replace is a cheap luaun door that only measures about 1 1/4".  I am going to make mine 1 3/8".  It would be neat to have it thicker, but I think a pain to open and close all the time.  My bedroom door is 1 3/4" but we rarely close it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tacks Y

Well I am calling it done. All 1' hard maple but the shelve is soft/spalted soft maple. Not the best finish job, should have had wife do it. Old varnish so time will tell.

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 25, 2023, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on March 25, 2023, 02:44:49 PM
I may be wrong but I was assuming there would be one in the vicinity we could use. Maybe we can find a trained operator to run it for us. :D :D :D
I don't know about a trained operator, however there is supposed to be one attendent that has a BACKWOODS degree.  Maybe he can accomplish the task.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

Finish still looks wet.  Will probably look better when dry.

I got all the rails and stile material planed and dimensioned, but not to length.  I'm suppposed to make exended tenons on the rails and then mortises in the stiles.  I'm not sure my mortiser will allow that tall of material to stand up under it.  Are the extended tenons needed or will it stay together without?  I've never made a rail and stile door this heavy.  The elm is going to be pretty.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom K

It would be better to have a tenon if you can. A spiral bit in a router is also a slick way to cut a mortise. 

I haven't made any passage doors in probably 20 years. That was back before I had a shaper and was too young and dumb to know any better, yellow pine with 1/2" plywood panels. Cut the stile & rails on a router table, slapped them together with some Tite Bond and sent them down the road, no tenon. Those were a 7'-6"? high set of double doors for a local century home, still looked good in the pictures when it sold last year. My point being they will probably hold up fine if you don't have tenon's as well. There are a whole lot of commercial wood doors out there without mortise & tenons.

Thank You Sponsors!