Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Those eggs look good.
The bowl looks good.
The table looks good.
;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

I'm a little reluctant to post this hack-job stuff on a thread with so many high-quality works.  Yesterday, other than unloading one trailer load of logs, I did not have much going on.  My two older girls were over with their infant daughters.  My grandson came out to the shop, where I was cobbling together blue bird boxes out of cypress slabs that I pulled out of the burn pile.

He wanted a blue bird house for his yard, so I got him to help me a bit.  Tennyson was the triggerman.  He also volunteered to clean my shop but he'd likely be in high school before he'd finish that task.

I made several yesterday.  Some of the slabs were thick enough to saw into short 1x6's or 8's on the tablesaw.  At least one panel or the roof was installed with screws or a hinge for easy cleanout.  
Caveman

doc henderson

Bird House Dimensions Chart for Bird House Plans by Species (birdwatching-bliss.com)

I was about to ask, but decided to search first.

nice work caveman, on the bird house and the grandson.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Cavey,

Great job with the grandson. Other than fishing with him it is hard to imagine time better spent.

Some birdhouses are for art, some are functional. I make functional ones. I even display the attached description/infogram when I advertise them at flea markets and such.

I make my birdhouses out of scrap 1X6's so the nest cavity is about 4" X 6". The sides are slanted from 12" to 10". The front is 10" with a 1.5" diameter hole about 3" below the top. The back is a 1X6 usually 16"+ long with two holes drilled under the birdhouse to nail/screw to a fence post or such. The top is usually a 12" X 12" X 1" board. I turn the birdhouse  upside down then screw 4 - 1"X1" X4" cut off stickers tightly along the sides to make a cap that fits securely but slips  on and off easily for cleaning.

They are a great use for leftover rough scrap lumber and the bluebirds love them and I love my bluebirds.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

I am a little reluctant to post this here because I'd hate to embarrass anyone with mediocre woodworking skills but I guess it is appropriate to post projects for others to strive to to achieve. Be advised because of the high tech, sensitive nature of this craft I have a patent pending. Now I only need to paint it purple and come up with a fancy name for it before I present it to the Shark Tank investors.

I think I will call it a stake-inator.

It can be mounted to any wooden work bench, table or sawhorses using 2 - 2" screws (These will be provided in the kit to the buyer).

The purpose is to measure and hold securely one dozen 1" X 1" tomato stakes so you get an accurate count and can shrink wrap each end.

Its pretty low tech - just a piece of scrap 4/4 lumber from the burn pile measured and ripped on my table saw to hold 4 stakes side by side. I then cut a barky 1X4 into the same length and screwed a couple of wood screws into each side to form an open topped tray. 4 stakes wide, 3 stakes high, shrink wrap and repeat. Pretty slick huh. :D Laugh all you want - this simple jig works real well.

I am sure it could be made fancier and include an automatic wrapping feature and cut off to the exact length and of course, purple paint before it hits the market but for a prototype I am pleased with it. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

very nice and simple!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Needs a live edge.... ;)

WV Sawmiller

I was wondering how long it would take before the design committee got involved.  :D ;)
Howard Green

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

Meanwhile here at the dust factory :D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

I made a few simple crates to take with me to the farm supply store tomorrow with some sample tomato stakes. The larger crate holds 12 quart fruit jars. The smaller one holds 12 pint fruit jars.

One handy feature is the smaller crate nests perfectly inside the larger one.
Howard Green

Ljohnsaw

Ring shank nails or screws?  You don't drill a couple finger holes in the end boards to make easy lifting?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Rob is still on the flying saucer and I am still clunking away on the bar. I did another pour late yesterday and finally got it all level with no high spots around the 'shoreline' on the pond. There were two spots that just seemed to keep sticking up a little bit. This photo was around 7pm last night. Hopefully it still looks like that this morning. ;D
 Next I will adjust the level a little bit and work on the shot glass shelf. before flipping and doing the legs. I'll finish the top when the legs are done.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

John,

I use ring shank nails for better grip. I have started adding a touch of glue on the sides where they are nailed into the grain on the end of the 1X8 (Quart) or 1X6 (Pint) boards. I am not adding a finger slot because I lack training on my router ( ::)) to do that. Maybe I should play with that. It would definitely be a good feature. There is space to grab between the side boards.

If I ever start making enough to justify it I may buy a compressor or electric nail gun and use the glue coated staples.
Howard Green

aigheadish

You guys are doing great work! And your notes about maybe not posting because of the level of craftsmanship make me re-think posting here at all. My work is never up to par compared to you guys.

I had a few days off work and I did some sitting around the shop. After my epoxy cured on the putter I sanded it down a bit and painted a thin layer on, to find that it was too thick and lumpy and I didn't like it. So, I went and bought some card scrapers and used them for the first time scraping off all the epoxy and cleaning up some other parts along the way. Card scrapers are pretty fun to use but I spent hours getting into all the nooks and crannies. Once the epoxy had been removed I decided to try spray-on polyurethane and I like the results of that much more, though the putter will likely not be as tough. I've put several layers on now but I forgot to take any more pictures. I'll probably spray it down a few more times. I don't know if there is a too much?

I'm also makin' my motorcycle shiny! I spent a couple hours washing barn and garage dust off it, yesterday, in preparation to list for sale. It makes me a bit sad but I'm too much of a pansy to ride it much, since I don't trust other vehicles on the road.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 09, 2023, 10:48:24 PM
Ring shank nails or screws?  You don't drill a couple finger holes in the end boards to make easy lifting?
John,

I missed the part about finger holes because I was thinking about cutting a groove/slot parallel to the top for grips. Re-reading and thinking abut it that would be easy and handy to drill a couple of holes in each end. I'll try that on a couple. Do you have any pictures of some you've done that way? I could see where a couple of 3/4" holes a couple of inches apart and 2-3 inches from the top would work well to place your ring and index finger in for easier and more secure lifting. Is that what you are describing?

I have glued/screwed/nailed a short handle board on the end for handles which works good and cost nothing except the time, glue and fasteners as the wood comes from scrap pieces with no other real value. The reason I don't do that any more is of course the pint size crates would not nest in the quart sized crates but mostly because I sometimes have customers buy them to make shelves or such. They lay them on their side or stand them on end with the open end facing out and place boards across them for shelves. I have had people buy them and stand them on end for end tables. 

As long as they buy them I don't care what they do with them afterwards. :D

Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: aigheadish on April 10, 2023, 10:51:16 AM
 My work is never up to par compared to you guys.
I bet its on par or better than most of mine. :D :D
Howard Green

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 10, 2023, 12:48:55 PMIs that what you are describing?
Yes. Use a Forstner bit and you could go all the way through or just most of the way and not have break out issues. Or if you want to go all the way through, just stack a bunch of ends and go to town drilling.  Then just a real light sanding on the edge to ease it for comfort.  I have never made and crates but your posts about them makes me want to make some in the future.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

The only Forstner bit I have is 1.5" so that is out. I can see just using a 3/4" auger bit with some scrap against the underside to prevent breakout for the ones already built. In the future I could do as you describe and just stack 4-6 ends up and drill straight through the whole stack or for more professional results put them on the drill press and do the same thing.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

After a week of sanding, correcting, more sanding, having someone else look at it, correcting and more sanding, we did proof coat today! Things are looking pretty good. The joinery is right where I want it; invisible. 

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

NE Woodburner

@tule peak timber - thank you for your regular posts. Your work is so interesting and the quality amazes me.

I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for many years and have a modest woodworking shop. I am proud of some of my work and since most people don't do any woodworking at all, most people who see my work think it is pretty good. My weakness is finishing and I know that is the most important part.

When I look at your work and some of the other masters on this site I am truly amazed at the quality and craftsmanship. Makes me want to try to do better...

burdman_22

Not my work, but a buddy of mine does such good work I feel it deserves a post. Attached are some pictures of a shaving horse he built, and then a stool seat and legs that he turned (stool isn't finished yet in the cat picture, legs are a bit long and will be trimmed some once it sits inside for a bit). He plans on making me a stool or two eventually, and I cant wait.

Don P

I had some short scraps left after making a planter and raised bed out of some low grade walnut. There was enough for 3 trays, I got a couple coats on this and its ready for a buff and final shot or two. i really need to think of another easy small scrap use but hopefully these will go away quicker than the garden stuff, people must be afraid of putting highly valuable walnut in the garden :D.

firefighter ontheside

Cindy's friend's great dane passed away and she asked me to make an urn for a 110lb dog.  Sean and I made this urn which is about 5" tall and 6"x6" inside.  Should be plenty big.  It has a red oak bottom, elm sides and a cypress top with some purple heart and red oak for the paw print.  Finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil.  Top is rabbeted around the edge to fit closely inside the box.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

97redjeep

while I know my work is rookie compared to majority of the work on here, I think these saddle stands turned out pretty good. Both for donations, one for a friend who had a stroke, and one for my kids high school rodeo. 

HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Thank You Sponsors!