iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCFAK and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Walnut Beast

I agree Larry! I'm sure I've had a few chuckles from the big boys that are running their systems all day when they seen this little container 😂. 

doc henderson

or mount a top bag from a dust collector to let the filtered air out.  and a cyclone sounds good too.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Nebraska on July 28, 2022, 05:15:46 PM

I thought I had posted a picture of this project here, this is a Red Elm desk top I built for our daughter. It's now installed in Manhattan where she is starting medical school.    Just a picture of  the joined slabs and the desk we put together this morning.  :) The last picture is the view out the window beside her desk.  She helped me pick out the wood, and finish the desk top and shelf.. It's been a busy couple days. I had hoped to squeeze a visit with Tom in this trip but we came from the New Jersey side and didn't budget enough time. Yes i feel a bit like a fish out of water in the city here. :)
My daughter has lived in NYC for 12 years . Her Dad's hasn't made a vist.
I'm not built for it  :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

That setup would create one heck of an inferno should a friction static electricity spark occur. I would drop a ground chain from the plastic tub just to try avoiding any chance of that.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

Bruno, I will  come back and see her, but I won't drive it again  unless I absolutely have too.  I feel just a bit claustrophobic compared to what I am used to... ;) 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: 21incher on July 30, 2022, 08:40:11 AM
That setup would create one heck of an inferno should a friction static electricity spark occur. I would drop a ground chain from the plastic tub just to try avoiding any chance of that.
I had wondered about that! Better do that. Don't need a static bomb 💣. We will see how the screen top works like I had originally planned. 

firefighter ontheside

:) ;) :D ;D  I knew my feet were in the picture.  I guess I wanted you guys to see my size 11's.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

Tops......hypersonic tops......classified secret designs. :o :o

Maybe they will distract some kid from their phone for a couple of minutes. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Larry I love the craftsmanship you do on everything!!!!!

caveman

Excellent top.  I would be distracted for hours.
Caveman

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Nebraska on July 30, 2022, 09:41:47 AM
Bruno, I will  come back and see her, but I won't drive it again  unless I absolutely have too.  I feel just a bit claustrophobic compared to what I am used to... ;)
I have developed a bad case of anxiety as time goes on.
I much rather stay at home if I can .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tom King

Gorgeous piece!  I'm glad all those people like to live in cities.

Old Greenhorn

Well I ain't makin' nuttin' .....yet. But I am fixing to and I went and picked up a mess of stuff for the build that I ordered back in June or so. Can anybody guess where I went?
Hint:

A 5 hour driving loop in CT traffic, but saved a bunch of shipping cost and got to visit with the crew there. Now I gotta get to work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

Do you go south to pick up 84, or do you cut over some other way? 

Don't you love driving in Connecticut? :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

OH sure! The Constipation state is my third favoritist place to drive, next to downtown Boston at rush hour when they change the direction of one way streets (twice a day), or DC where you need to make a left turn out of the circle. ;D
 I left at 5:30am and got in and out as best I could, it wasn't bad. Know your enemy, I always say and have a plan. :D Headed home by 9am.
 Yeah, I take the thruway to 84, then straight over. I dodged a bullet or three because I timed it right. Coming back I saw a 5 mile backup going the other way. Timing is everything.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Crusarius

84 is not a highway its a parking lot with funny stripes!!!!!!

I usually go through mass its so much easier than dealing with the always stopped on 84.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that's not an option for me unless I am trying to use a lot of extra gas and time. There is no way to get to a place in the middle of CT without driving in CT.
 My only other choice is taking mostly 2 lanes country roads, which can be a very nice drive, but take longer and more attention. I timed it so that I averaged 72 MPH and my gas mileage hung around 19.4 mpg. It just makes for a long morning, that's all. Worth it for the visit to Logrite, in any event, but I will try to keep that limited to around 2-3 times a year when I have worthwhile business as this was.

Texas Ranger

Massachusetts must be hard up for cash.  Received a transit bill for $2.95 for a toll road there, had my wife's car license number and her/my address. After 2 or 3 hours of trying to figure out that yankee website of theirs I had a chat with a gentleman that declared he would put in a disputed claim.  Interesting, car has never been out of Texas in over 3 years, much less Mass., he claimed miss read plate.

I explained to him that in our 80's we had no desire to drive to Massachusetts.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

made for @Cardiodoc wife by @Jim Thomas with erc and western cedar (cut up beam).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 03, 2022, 09:24:55 AM
Massachusetts must be hard up for cash.  Received a transit bill for $2.95 for a toll road there, had my wife's car license number and her/my address. After 2 or 3 hours of trying to figure out that yankee website of theirs I had a chat with a gentleman that declared he would put in a disputed claim.  Interesting, car has never been out of Texas in over 3 years, much less Mass., he claimed miss read plate.

I explained to him that in our 80's we had no desire to drive to Massachusetts.
As I made my way around Austin, TX in years past, enroute to Mexico, I'd take one of those Texas side routes that were labeled read your license plate/get a bill and I'd kick my bike up to a hundred or so when I saw the camera and never paid one yet. :D 
CT is a confusing state as your driving along think wow, what a woodsy, scenic place then anywhere you get off it's wall to wall people and cars-cept for that one rural corner of the entire state.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: kantuckid on August 03, 2022, 04:34:06 PM.....
CT is a confusing state as your driving along think wow, what a woodsy, scenic place then anywhere you get off it's wall to wall people and cars-cept for that one rural corner of the entire state.  
Gee, I dunno if I can concur with this. Being in the neighboring state I have had a lot of interaction with that state over my lifetime. In fact I am even willing to admit I have family there (there, I said it.  :D). I have done business with a company in a large (new) Industrial park about halfway between Hartford and Springfield and they are surrounded by either working or newly converted tobacco farms, sheds everywhere.
 When I went to LogRite yesterday, I was driving along 84 seeing urban areas, but as soon as I got off the exit, I found myself in a heavily wooded area with nice homes and some space. One of my cousins use to live on an estate of 15 acres, another had 5 or so, which is not 'out in the boonies' by any means, but still very pleasant living. I am sure their real estate prices and property taxes will reflect land values though. Those home sites were purchased back in the late 50's and early 60's and the communities grew up around them. Buying there now would be, um, prohibitive for most folks.
 In fairness I will say, it is the ONLY place I have ever been stuck in bumper to bumper stopped traffic at 3am. I thought I was being smart by scheduling my drive to Boston in the wee hours. Who knew they would be doing construction work at that hour... in January. :D

WV Sawmiller

More pictures of projects from the amateur crowd. I'm going to a Lumberjack show next month at Twin Falls State park and taking some benches and decided to make some more of my super secret design bluebird boxes. They are what I use my scrap lumber for. A 1"X 6" X 10" scrap will make the front, a couple of 1" X 6" X 12" pieces will make the sides and I use a longer 1X6 for the back and drill 2 holes in the bottom to nail or screw to a post. The top is a 1" X12" X 12" board with 4 short sticker pieces to make a cap that slips over the top. Each top is custom fitted as each box is slightly different in sized. I cut the corners off the bottom piece for better ventilation. Each box uses 18 - 2" screws for construction and 2 for mounting, if desired. The top slips right off for cleaning. the hole is 1.5" and I also score a little "ladder" under the opening inside to help the baby bluebirds climb out. I've raised 3 clutches in 2 boxes here at the house so far this year and they may raise another one or two before the summer ends. They are not fancy but very natural and they work very well. One customer bought 4 last year and a week later when he saw me again he said 3 already had birds using them.

I also had some scrap 1X8 walnut boards from a log I cut a week or so. A lot was splitting and such so I planed smooth and made crates sized for a dozen quart fruit jars (12" X 16" X 8" inside dimensions). The walnut and poplar lath pieces I used for sides and bottom go very well together. I use 1.5" ringed dry wall nails for fasteners. These are handy for all kind of projects around the shop or home and I hope to sell a few more.

Where they are sitting is my "shop" built on to the outside of my lumber storage pole barn. No heat, no A/C, no clean room, no real cover from the rain or sun. I do have a power outlet on the back of the locust upright shown. I work with what I have.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wlmedley

Howard your shop sounds like mine.l have a roof but no walls. I like working outside,I have good ventilation and good lighting as long as it's daytime 🙂
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, behind and beside me is a raised bed planter I use to augment my sawhorses and to hold an assortment of fasteners and tools in use like hammers, tapes, squares, etc. I alternate moving a drill press and planer on the table where the birdhouses and crates are displayed. I stand things up against the upright to get a square surface when needed. The white feed bags shown are full of planer shavings and cut off board ends I use for kindling and fire starter. On the back side of the upright are a couple of long magnets with drill bits, chucks, etc. which keeps them right there where I need them. A half inch drill is hanging on a nail by a D handle on the back side of the upright. I can drag out the table saw in the background when needed to reach the power plug.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

I finally got on a solution for the router and cutting board/chopping block thing for my sister. I ended up going with a table router, very simple, but I already have several fixes that'll need worked out. The top is huge, I think 36x48 and it'll now be a hassle to store. It seems to be working for my use of hogging out the bottom of this thing. I think I need to put an inch deep hole in this thing, though should probably check that. 

I also picked up a HF dust collector. I got a 20% discount due to the box being smashed open but it seems to work well!

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!