iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow Rob! Is that a single cut slab with the pith in it? I can't even see that in there. There is so much going on in that slab. I can see getting the cup out, but I can't even imagine how you deal with twist. When I get  those, I surrender and they become shorter and narrower. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

tule peak timber

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 11, 2024, 07:59:41 PMHoly cow Rob! Is that a single cut slab with the pith in it? I can't even see that in there. There is so much going on in that slab. I can see getting the cup out, but I can't even imagine how you deal with twist. When I get  those, I surrender and they become shorter and narrower. ffcheesy
This is a single slab, resawn in 2 and brought back on itself, ying and yang style. The outside edges were cut off, per client request. If I could have convinced him, I would have sold the sapwood too. It lends itself towards all the crap "river run through it" table designs that started about 12 years ago with some guy in Sunset magazine setting a reverse matched set together with a gap and milling in beautiful, thick, curved, tempered glass. We did one table like this and sold many, many more sets to the bucket full of epoxy you tubers, looking to create the same, without the work. I get requests all the time for the you tube version and have not done one outside of the subset glass since. 

This customer was a very discriminating and unique person. The kind of folks I like to deal with.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

firefighter ontheside

Getting close to putting some finish on these bowling benches.  I will probably turn down any further requests to work with bowling lane.
440971991_425977170064482_4427276378047735528_n.jpg
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

I've been working on my place up here for 40+ years.Decided I should give it a name.Had a piece of walnut I thought would make a nice sign.
com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353780][/url]
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

tule peak timber

A little desk made from Disneyland scraps.

Old Greenhorn

Holy cookie dough Rob! I gotta ask some questions: Are those cookies joined mechanically or is it just the epoxy holding them? Do I see some straps or a sub-table underneath? How do you prepare the wood for those legs? They go through the kiln first?
 My guess is you have a flat frame underneath, screwed through into the legs, then the top is laid on top of that and screwed home. How much did I miss by? How often do you do things like this on spec, and how do you market them?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

tule peak timber

The build is a piece of plywood that the kiln dried legs are screwed to with thicker cookies around the edge and veneer cookies on top. Epoxy flood fill, then polished with hard wax oil. It was a fun little project using throw away scraps from Frontierland and the weeds from my front yard. I used the sawmill to level cut the legs and a little bit of bracing between the legs and the plywood for extra strength. I like to take scrap materials and turn them into something that will eventually catch someone's eye as unique.

I don't market weirdo pieces like this as it was made for someone else. She didn't want it. I modified it, raised the price and out it went! It occasionally happens that someone will commission something that is a little wacko and when they actually see their "creation", they walk away from their downpayment and the piece. It invariably works to jack up the price and somebody will walk in, sometimes, 45 minutes later and say they just have to have it! Go figure  ffcheesy 

doc henderson

In college, if you put a couch on the curb with a "free" sign, it would set for weeks in the sun and rain.  change the sign to 25$ and someone would either buy it or steal it during the night.  At KU 4 of us were roommates on Alabama Street.   We made two rooms in the attic space.  we were told we could use the garage, but we had to clean it out.  It was full of old furniture and years of old rolls of carpet.  we decided to have a garage sale.  could not give the old carpet away and were worried we would have to live with it or take it to the dump. a foreign family showed up and was interested.  said 50 bucks for a roll but would take 25.  they loaded it on a Datson or something hanging well over the front and back.  they came back for more, so we gave them a further break in the price.  I think they ended up taking 3 out of the 5 rolls.   ffcheesy   marketing.  :thumbsup:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I have a $1600 (when it was new) stove I need to get rid of... The oven doesn't reliably work (thanks Samsung) after like 3  years. The wife put it online to see if anyone wanted it and we've had no takers, it's going to go to the curb, maybe tonight, and be taken to the dump, unless someone swipes it. Let's hope, it's otherwise a decent unit. 

TPT- Gotta love a down payment and a price increase!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

could make a nice shop stove if you have the room.  do your dry weight prep.  My wife had a nice toaster oven I used.  and one day it was gone, and I asked.  she gave it to a girl at work (cause we never use it!)  I said I did!  no response.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wlmedley

Finally got my well curb project finished.Just need to put metal on roof when customer gets it.Now to figure out how to get it on my trailer.Will be around 10' when on the trailer so I might wait to put metal on after it gets to its permanent location.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Magicman

That is very professionally done!!  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Nicely Done Bill!
 I finally finished that park bench. Not my best work, but it looks OK.

Wlmedley

We took the well curb to its permanent home today.Went pretty good.Loaded on my friends dump trailer with a cable and snatch blocks and he unloaded it with a large tractor with forks.On price I told him I had about $450 invested in lumber and fasteners and I thought $600 would be fair as I sort of enjoyed building it.He said he was thinking $750 and I feel that was a little better so we both came away happy.

Wlmedley

[img width=800 height=800]blob:https://forestryforum.com/284a7175-8ff5-466a-a62d-0ae9d7f06c34[/displayimage

aigheadish

I know it isn't wood work but I made my son's car work again. He got into an accident a few weeks ago, not his fault, but there has been some "delay" in resolution from the at-fault's insurance company, the "delay" being I haven't heard from them in over a week after I sent off the body shop estimate. Well, the kid needs the car, which had a busted passenger side headlight, and some crinkled quarter panel, that was drooping into the wheel well. The body shop also said they'd be unable to start until at least next week, which was too long. So, I got a dent pulling slide hammer kit and went to town over the weekend. I learned this technique from my dad, when I had a similar headlight issue on a 1977 Skylark, though it had real metal to pound away on and stretch back into shape. The kit called for hot glueing a pad to the damaged area and giving her some whacks. I tried that and didn't end up removing the dents at all, so I went with some good ol' fashion brute force and some clamps and wrenches and got it back into enough shape to hold a new headlight assembly and get the wheel well out of the way of the tire...

1000005501.jpg

"Repaired" looks decent from this angle...

20240518_162909.jpg

A bit less decent from this angle, but the headlight fits and the car works properly. 

20240518_173957.jpg
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

RetiredTech

Quote from: aigheadish on May 22, 2024, 07:09:23 AMI made my son's car work again.
I hate to deal with companies like that. Keep on that Insurance Company. They need to make it right. great job on getting the kid out of a bind!
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done and he is back on the road!
 Can you get your insurance company to get after the other company? Seems like they are dragging their feet. 

aigheadish

Unfortunately, it's a corporately owned car (my insurance buddy says they are notoriously hard to deal with) and they have another guy from a different business that handles the claims for them. Well, he originally contacted my son with info and I didn't realize it, so there was a week or two where I didn't hear anything from them after attempting to contact them. Then, once I explained what the situation was (he was dealing with a kid that doesn't know anything, and the kid isn't the owner of the car) I was getting decent response. I did what was required of me and now we're a week and a day deep with no response. He's also the type that has his phone go straight to voicemail, and ignored calls from me for about a week and a half. I'll keep it up but it's likely not worth the effort to take it to small claims court or something like that, I'm only out a hundred bucks to make the car drivable.

I may try my insurance, but when I initially called them to give them a crash report number, they made it clear that since it was the other person's fault that they (my insurance) had nothing to do with it...

doc henderson

often your insurance company will fight for you.  they could even pay for it and then sue the other company.  

Resonator

I'd do a search for a junkyard with an identical Toyota and get a replacement fender. (It should just be bolted on).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

gspren

Quote from: doc henderson on May 22, 2024, 03:20:14 PMoften your insurance company will fight for you.  they could even pay for it and then sue the other company. 
That depends on wether you had collision coverage on your own car. My last accident, and I hope it remains my LAST accident, my insuance paid for the replacement and then recovered their money from the other guys insurance.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

aigheadish

I'll have to call and seek their advice. I only have liability coverage on that car but I've been with this insurance company for like 25 years. Maybe they can show what excellent service they provide (ch-cough-chuh, I just spit up my coffee a bit thinking of the possibility!). 

JJ

I had similar experience with only having Liability Insurance and having a collision with with a fleet car.   By accident report, the car cut into my travel lane with a left turn, and I hit the rear passenger door and qtr panel.

Their insurance claimed I was 25% at fault, since I did not impact the front of their car, but that location is 45mph so I had no chance to avoid.

I got stuck with paying 25% of the collision damage to my truck, and my insurance did not help as the other company did not press any claims on my liability insurance. 
  smiley_thumbsdown
If they had made any claim on my insurance I think I would not have had to pay anything as my insurance would have then fought it.

Wishing you better luck than I had..

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!