iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Emerald Ash Borer Information.

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2005, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

So once the ash borers kill all the ash trees, what will they target next, do they have a clue?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Turfdog

There are no other known food sources for EAB.

coxy

that they are telling us  any way   someone said they are going to the hard maple  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

timberking

Going to the meeting tonight in Marshall to learn how the quarantine could impact our business. 

DelawhereJoe

Quote from: Turfdog on July 23, 2016, 03:13:59 PM
Just because they can't live off it doesn't mean that they wouldn't try, like fleas on people, they will bite the crap out of you.

jrose1970

Quote from: Magicman on July 20, 2016, 07:13:33 PM
I know of two very nice Ash trees on my property that have died.  I have no idea of the cause.  There were dead limbs in the crowns last year and one of them actually sprouted some green this Spring, but the leaves died.  My plans are to harvest and saw them.

Hey MM,
  That sure sounds like how they effect the trees. The ashes in Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountains look just like that with the crown dying first. Mississippi is supposed to be free so far, but they are moving pretty fast.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

square1

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 25, 2016, 03:41:42 PM
Quote from: Turfdog on July 23, 2016, 03:13:59 PM
Just because they can't live off it doesn't mean that they wouldn't try, like fleas on people, they will bite the crap out of you.
Very early on Michigan forced the adult EAB to lay eggs on Maple & Walnut (maybe other species), the eggs hatched but the larvae was not able to survive on the / in the cambium of those trees.

bluthum

EAB found in another county in Arkansas now, Randolph.

Ron Scott

Emerald Ash Borer May Become a Problem for Olive Growers

(Dayton, OH - October 24) - Researchers at Wright State University have discovered
that the emerald ash borer, which has already killed tens of millions of ash trees, has
also become a threat to certain types of olive trees.

https://entomologytoday.org/2016/10/24/emerald-ash-borer-may-become-a-problem-for-olive-growers/

The E-Forester
~Ron

John Mc

For a long time, Vermont was surrounded by states (and a Canadian province) with Emerald Ash Borer, but none had been cited here. A couple years ago, it was spotted in one spot, then more recently in a second location.

I had always figured it was here, we just hadn't spotted it yet. Now it has just been confirmed in Bristol, VT, just a few miles down the road from me. It was inevitable, but it's still depressing to find it so nearby.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

What do folks know about the effectiveness of TreeAzin, an insecticide injected into Ash trees to protect from EAB? A few folks in our town are interested in protecting some of their yard trees or other trees of sentimental value. This was being discussed as a possibility. Apparently, it's listed for use in organic crops by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

They are now using a parasitic wasp that is released to kill EAB. It has just finished trials before it's release. Both US and Canada have been releasing it at different sites two times a year. They just started it here in NB. I think they release 500 - 1000 at each site. The parasite is already in the larva of the EAB, which are inside branches or sticks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

K-Guy

They have been found in parts of Maine.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

DelawhereJoe

They have made their way to the Delmarva peninsula, where I work now has the largest white ash in the county and it looks like they have mostly killed it off. I need to convince the boss to let me purchase a saw with the ability to run a 36" bar and it will take a full cut from both sides.

SwampDonkey

I have seen the odd ash that is dead or dying, but not sure yet that it is borer because we always have ash that die suddenly. Something hit two ash in the yard years ago, stone dead in a week, leaves withered. I have 2 black ash on the lawn, still thriving. One shades the garden, the corn is affected on the end of the row, shade most of the day, 6-8" shorter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TimberScottcree

Can someone sum up the basics here

I don't think i have this green one but my wood pile is crawling with  

[
they are defiantly destroying the wood i was cutting on my mill for a barn shelter ..

is this a bigger problem then i know ?

i mean do i just burn the wood pile now ..

will they move to the house next ...

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED. READ RULES AND REPLACE.
3 cylinder diesel 6,000 sfpm 25fpm Dims { 16'L x 32"H 36"W }
18HP 56tq blade size 142" 1.25 thru 172" @ 2 inch wide
Power source for operation /Diesel / Battery /Hydraulic

Carabnr

New to the forum, but I discovered an EAB bug in an Ash tree we cut down in central NC. made a chair out of the wood and was wondering if it may hatch larvae later. It is a post and rung chair from greenwood. What do you all think?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Carabnr on September 08, 2020, 11:57:20 PM
New to the forum, but I discovered an EAB bug in an Ash tree we cut down in central NC. made a chair out of the wood and was wondering if it may hatch larvae later. It is a post and rung chair from greenwood. What do you all think?
The EAB survive on the cambium (inner bark) of the tree and do not bore into the wood. This is why you see tracks when you peel the bark. They cannot subsist on a dead tree, they need healthy live bark. When they kill a tree, they move on and kill another.
 It is rare to find an EAB on a dead tree. Your chair will be fine on that score, however, powder post beetles are a different story. ;D
 Welcome to the forum.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Carabnr

Thank you for your welcome and reply. Glad to be able to post here now. Been struggling with PP beetles too. Guess there are some good posts here on that as well. So much to know about Greenwood harvest and drying. Look forward to learning more here.

Old Greenhorn

Bugs is bad! We all know that. As I am milling EWP right now, I am dealing with these little [deleted word]:

These are pine borers and it only takes a few days with the logs on the ground for these stinkers to set up shop.
 Sounds like you are soaking up info where you can, like me, always reading. I'd suggest using that button at the top of the home page that says "read most recent posts" and you won't miss anything. Also, using the search tool can be quite helpful, I am guessing that is how you found this older thread. Interesting things show up in what you might think were unrelated categories or threads. This site has been a super learning tool for me, and I hope it will be for you also.
 Good luck and have fun!
Tom
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SwampDonkey

I was cutting spruce poles last weekend for my winter shelter when I go snow shoeing. There was sawyer beetles buzzing me as I was putting up the poles. I said, "what the heck?" and seen what they was. :-\

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, when I get a chance I am going to have to look up the life cycle of these [things] because it amazes me how fast they take hold. I found beetles and also larvae in the outer bands of a few of these logs already, I am guessing if I understood them better I could figure out how long they had been at work. The first and healthiest log had a ton of the little devils (larval form) just under the bark. The sounds they make are just incredible and hard to believe at times. They feel vibrations when you approach and stop chewing. You have to sit by a log pile for a few minutes quietly until they resume chewing and then you can hear quite the show.

Al_Smith

The EAB has moved on in this area .Of course it killed every ash tree larger than about 3 inches .The small trees it didn't bother most likely because they didn't have enough inner bark to support the larva .
I have a zillion little saplings that sprang up when clearings were opened up with the large tree die off .I'm going to transplant some down both sides of my driveway .It's now got a bunch of silver and red maple that are dying off .These maples are not typically long lived for some reason .
I have no idea the origin of where these soft maples come from because the resident maples are sugar maple .They can get some size to them and get rather large and obviously live a long time .It's not uncommon for a 100 footer,I have several .

SwampDonkey

Have not seen any signs of it on the woodlot and I have a lot of ash, it grows like a weed anywhere there is light hitting the ground.

Years ago dad cut lots of large ash here off my ground. No hardwood grows much taller than 80 feet up here, the odd one 90 on the best of sites. But they do get over 40" across, but really old at that size. DNR don't even tally them as 40", their tables only go up to 18". Heck lots of fir that size around here, when you don't keep clear cutting every 30 years. All they want to push is low grade wood products. And that is what the majority of mills want, because its all about pulp. Way more wood through the grinders than through a saw. ::) Since back in the 80's whole 100+ acre tracks of hardwood where ground up on site. Very few logs taken, and most hardwood mills here are run seasonal. Garant is the only local mill using ash for value added and that is handle and bat wood. Hardly show up on a graph of wood products. Lots of black looking logs in their yard, so not sawing much.

Al_Smith

I like ash lumber for some things .Trim.woodwork etc .It air dries down to the point it's stable,takes stains well .It's so hard you can't drive a nail in it without a pilot  hole .It's kind of rot resistant in a way .
At one time ash made up 20 percent of all the trees in Ohio and I doubt if many lived except new sprouts .Those if they live will take over 100 years before another 100 footer is ever seen .I've got some sprouts that are about maybe 3-4 inch and 12-15 feet tall .I guess time will tell that tale .
They are like an oak tree .If they aren't grown in competition for sunlight they will never make 80-100 foot tall .

Thank You Sponsors!