iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory

Started by Knute, July 22, 2022, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Hickory, sugar [hard] maple, elm and a few other white hardwoods are best left to professional operators with kilns.  These want to be cut fresh, sawed, stickered on special sticks and dried immediately without stain, bugs and cupping, twisting etc.  Hickory especially is candy to powder post beetles. It does however make good dump truck side boards.   For trailers not used hard it rots too fast.

WV Sawmiller

Because Hickory and Pecan are both the same genus - Carya.

Hickory - Wikipedia
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

WV, you're not trying to educate WDH are you? Bold, but futile😂

I could imagine WDH on an episode of "Jeopardy!". "I'll take trees for $1000, Alex." This family of trees has apotracheal parenchyma running through both the latewood and earlywood." Beep beep- "Danny, go ahead-" "Yes, what are the Pecans, Alex?" Then the camera pans to Ken Jennings sucking his thumb, lying in the fetal position because he can't touch Danny's tree knowledge!😁
Too many irons in the fire

jpassardi

Quote from: moodnacreek on July 25, 2022, 08:51:19 AMIt does however make good dump truck side boards.
I can vouch for that - have 2 1/2" thick ones on my dump truck and it may have seen an excavator tooth or two but took it like a champ.
-And, yes the powder post beetles love it more than anything in my firewood.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

beenthere

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 25, 2022, 03:40:06 AM
Food.  Anybody ever make a hickory pie? ???
Often, called pecan pie. Very good!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

"Yes, what are Pecans, Alex?"

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on July 25, 2022, 11:44:32 AM
WV, you're not trying to educate WDH are you? Bold, but futile😂

I could imagine WDH on an episode of "Jeopardy!". "I'll take trees for $1000, Alex." This family of trees has apotracheal parenchyma running through both the latewood and earlywood." Beep beep- "Danny, go ahead-" "Yes, what are the Pecans, Alex?" Then the camera pans to Ken Jennings sucking his thumb, lying in the fetal position because he can't touch Danny's tree knowledge!😁
The internet has created alot of experts with little experience.

barbender

Right, but I know enough to know what I don't know, and to be able to tell that Danny does know what he knows😁 All tongue in cheek, if anyone thinks I'm picking on poor ol' WV😊

WV Sawmiller

Sorry, internet has nothing to do with my post above. Systematic Botany Wildlife Biology classes were where I learned a hickory and a pecan were the same genus.

But don't worry about picking on me BB, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

I flinched, the nurse said "It's ok, I didn't feel a thing  :D"

WDH

moodnacreek, your comment is insulting. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2022, 08:48:10 PM
moodnacreek, your comment is insulting.
So was being told I could not operate a circle mill solo.  I will say no more.

barbender

WV, I know your the kind of fella that can both dish and take, so I'm always looking for an opportunity to needle you😁

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!