iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden cart as a log dolly?

Started by SleepyDog, August 03, 2022, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyDog

I am looking at different options for a log cart/arch. The biggest pieces I need to move are going to be 8x8x10' and 6x10x14' of green poplar from front of yard to back, roughly 100ft, on grass and paved surfaced. My options at the moment seem to be (with rough cost estimates):

(1) modifying/adding pneumatic wheels to an old wood and metal cart I have; $100

(2) trying to use a garden cart though getting the big logs up there is a challenge and I'm not certain it could pull it

(3) timber tuff log dolly  $480

(4) modify dolly with pneumatic wheels and skidding tongs or chain $150

What would be a good option? What am I not thinking about? I do not have a welder.

Nebraska

Plastic toboggan sled might do it. Otherwise a few small round fence posts as  rollers under them will work with a little fiddling. If it's only a few that's how I would move them without equipment.

Old Greenhorn

Are these logs or timbers? The dimensions you give are pretty specific, but then you mention using log tongs, so I remains confused. (No worries, I'm used to it.)
 If they are timbers, seems like 2 or 4 guys could grab a hand and just carry them. If logs, I wonder, is this a one time deal, or will this be a regular thing. Pretty small logs, actually, just a bit long. Am I (we) missing something?
 Were it me, I would use it as an excuse to finally get that LogRite ATV arch I have lusted over for so long. I don't move as many logs at home as I used to, but I still want one. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Like Nebraska said and if you have a little rider mower to help pull. You would be golden

rusticretreater

A tad confused with your saying you want a log cart/arch when all you mention you have is a cart.  Most folks use a dolly along with their log arch to move big logs.  Is the plan to get the log balanced on the cart and then pull it somehow?

I use a tripod made of 4x4x10's and nylon rope, two lifting straps and a 1000 lb chain hoist($120 Tractor Supply) to lift the log end high enough to slide my rather large dolly under it.  I maneuver the tripod over the log, wrap a lifting strap around the top part of the tripod, hang the chain hoist from that. Then I wrap the other strap around the log and hook it onto the chain hoist.  It lifts log ends pretty easily.  I have done 20-25" x 20' white oak logs with no problems.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

beenthere

rustic
Do you have pics of that system? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

I'll have to get one.  Might be a day or two.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

SleepyDog

So the pieces are timbers. I will have to get them off the trailer at the front of the house. 

Unfortunately, there are a few tight spaces between front and back of house, too much to get a tractor or any mechanical equipment through. 

I was hoping to use the log arch to do the job. 

A cart I have is an old wooden one with solid rubber wheels that I would have to switch out. I would also have to get the timber on it as well. 

rusticretreater

Took me awhile, but I finally got pictures of the setup I use to raise log ends high enough to roll my log dolly under them.  For the strap around the tripod, I adjust it until one end loop is just slightly higher than the other and then slide one loop inside the other loop to get them both through the opening in the chain hoist hook.

Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

kantuckid

Given that you live in MD near lots of civilization, etc., you might look on FB Marketplace for a used carpet roll cart. Carpets real heavy and those carts are steel made for long tubular shapes. I considered one to move my cabin logs across my subfloor to a build wall. None were near me, so I gave up the idea. 
Another idea: When I was an Industrial Millwright/mechanic we moved seriously heavy machines (weighed more than many homes!) via wooden rollers, Fred Flintstone style. Simply move rollers from back to front as you go. The length could be short if needed and a PT fence post comes to mind if you lack forest pole sized trees to use from your own property. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

rusticretreater

@SleepyDog  as always, a few pictures will help.  Lots of fellers here have been wrangling logs, boards and timbers since their diaper days and will have some ideas for ya.  

Pics of the trailer, the cart, the lay of the land and your tight spots would be good.  You might also consider contracting a crane to just lift them over the house.  I have seen small, inground pool companies do that during with their pools.  Expensive, but its all done in one day without wearing yourself out.

A lawn tractor is capable of pulling a pretty good load under the right conditions.  The first hurdle to overcome is getting the timbers off the trailer.  Of course, gravity is our friend and enemy.

Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Thank You Sponsors!