iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another log tow

Started by Quebecnewf, September 03, 2022, 05:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

A few drone shots of our third log tow for this year . 

96 in this tow . One more lot of 85 left to get at our other landing .

Sunny and warm . 

Gotta love it 

Quebecnewf 

newoodguy78

What size boat are you using to pull that? Those are great pictures. 
Would be fun to be a part of that job, just to say I did it. Very cool. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 03, 2022, 05:54:15 AM
What size boat are you using to pull that? Those are great pictures.
Would be fun to be a part of that job, just to say I did it. Very cool.
I completely agree with you! 
That would be some wonderful bragging rights! :D 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Quebecnewf

30 ft boat . 6 cly John Deere .

Quebecnewf 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

That's a great viewpoint; those drones are so cool.
That's a lot of rope to harness up all those logs - it probably means more than a few hours standing in the shallows with waders on. Does it take more than a day to tie up that string of mini-booms?
Thanks for posting the photos, wishing you good weather for the next "fetch".
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

My main tow line is two sections of braided nylon 1 1/4" . It's a bit too big really but I got it real cheap many years ago second hand . 
It takes us ( me and the missus ) about 2 hours to lash up a tow of 100 logs . Three hours then to tow them from the river to the mill . Another 3 hours to haul them ashore .

Arriving at the mill . As you can see it was a beautiful day .
If you had to move this number of logs by snowmobile you would be looking at 12 loads at least . Each trip is 45 kilometres to go and come so 550 kilometres of driving . That is assuming that the ice and snow conditions allow .They often don't .

Quebecnewf  

cutterboy

Great pictures! Your way of transporting logs is very interesting and quite unique.
Do you ever loose any logs on your ferry trips?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Thanks for the pics. Looks like great fun when it works just right, albeit a lot of work. Great wife to go along with your escapades, but the logs at your mill ready to saw must have a lot of value to you and neighbors. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

Quote from: cutterboy on September 04, 2022, 07:39:56 AM
Great pictures! Your way of transporting logs is very interesting and quite unique.
I have lost a few but that was years ago . Now that we have our lashing method worked out we rarely if ever lose any .

Here they are scattered at the mill . We don't pile them on purpose . By spreading them around we can pick up the size we need with the atv . 

newoodguy78

What do you use to get them ashore? Machine?

Ron Scott

~Ron

Quebecnewf

Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 04, 2022, 07:35:58 PM
A small atv and a home built skidding arch .
Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Jeff on September 04, 2022, 07:53:35 AM
Did you do any video?
Did a short vid over on a FB group called Wood Cutting Boys 
Quebecnewf 

Bruno of NH

Great work.
Do you sell out of lumber every season?
I just read the snow fall predictions for this coming winter .
It says low snow fall for the north east. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Nice raft of logs and  your ingenuity amazes me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

That is just too cool, Quebecnewf! 
Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

Quote from: Quebecnewf on September 05, 2022, 04:51:41 AM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 04, 2022, 07:35:58 PM
A small atv and a home built skidding arch .
Quebecnewf
Ingenuity at its finest, great work 

g_man

Hats off Quebecnewf - great pictures as usual of your most interesting operation. I love the way your methods have evolved over the years to gain efficiency and be less dependent on the right winter weather.

gg

DeerMeadowFarm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

schreib69

Quote from: Quebecnewf on September 04, 2022, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: cutterboy on September 04, 2022, 07:39:56 AM
I have lost a few but that was years ago . . .

I am SURE you know more than any of us here but I cannot help but offer a suggestion:
on the last 2 or 3 logs on the outsides of a raft. . . Looking at how they are canted outwards, fanned, it seems that leaving their REAR ties OFF, holding them to the next log, could possibly allow them to fly "free", so to speak, and let their tail ends line out straight in the direction of travel.  As it is it appears they turn the entire raft into a big drag. . . Just a suggestion.  Alternately, disconnect only the last 3(as a group) from the rear of the 4th and let them float out straight as a separate pontoon?!

WV Sawmiller

Neat pictures and process. Have you ever tried using Eye bolts screwed into/near the end of the logs then just run the rope through the eye? I've screwed eye bolts into trees for cables to hang deer feeders on and it was pretty fast. I could see where using a cordless drill for a pilot hole then using a short piece of pipe through the eye to screw them in and it should go pretty fast to install and to remove them at the end of the job and re-use them next time.

Just a thought.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!