iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

They are about 3ft to long...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jim_Rogers

You may need to get a tire chain tool.

You can use this to repair and change your tire chains with repair links and other such things.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Corley5

Mine were MIA when Jeff was here to get the chains. I was going to send them with him. They've since been found. An angle grinder with a cut off wheel is handy as well as a big pair of Channel Locks or a purpose built chain wrench to fasten the hooks.

Resonator

I've cut chains to fit and had good success. As long as the tread width is good, you can shorten the length (circumference) to fit the tire. After snapping the latches, I ran with bungees in an X across the wheel to tighten up any extra slack. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Corley5

If you're using bungee cords your chains aren't on tight enough. Old county plow drivers taught me that and they're right.

beenthere

Corely5 is right. No bungees needed on chains that are fitted correct. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

Not saying you're wrong, but I know for a fact there are plenty of plow trucks, tractors, semis + trailers, and 4 wheel vehicles that use bungees. They even make a "Spider" bungee specifically for that purpose.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Corley5

And those installations are wrong. I've had chains on all manner of vehicles and would never consider using "tighteners". It's an improper installation. Especially in heavy duty applications. Springs, bungee etc will be ripped off and you'll throw chains.

Chuck White

I've even let air out of the tires, installed the chains, then reinflated them.

Whether right or wrong, it worked.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Springs, bungee etc
That speaks volumes and most of it not good
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

Never had to use anything extra here to secure chains on skidder or tractors. Make'm fit. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fluidpowerpro

I always put chains on my skid steer in the winter. The first few years tried various things to keep tight, bungees, springs, cables, etc and nothing worked. The last few years I learned to remove the wheel and install the chains good and tight by using speed links to take up any slack. Haven't had any issues since.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!