iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Well, she's not strong enough to remove any bolts, so she would have had to have help.  Maybe its a conspiracy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Having an accomplished successful spouse is usually a really good thing... :)  I have referred to myself as a trophy husband before in front of my wife.   Sometimes i hear "yeah a participation trophy" after I've said it.... ;D

chickenchaser

Quote from: Nebraska on November 30, 2023, 07:24:38 AM
Having an accomplished successful spouse is usually a really good thing... :)  I have referred to myself as a trophy husband before in front of my wife.   Sometimes i hear "yeah a participation trophy" after I've said it.... ;D
Nebraska 

In 1982 after just turning 20, I married a gal 3 years older than me. She was pretty quick witted and during our first family Christmas, my uncle inquired of us as to when WE were going to start a family. Before I could even think about answering she immediately pointed and said "I've gotta get him grown first."

He began his haw-hawing and proceeded to repeat it to everyone old enough to understand what he was saying. At 97 he still brings it up occasionally. 

I did get some payback for a couple of years when I would ask Grandma for her senior discount grocery card- when I didn't qualify for my own. 

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Wlmedley

Had some walnut that most people wouldn't bother sawing but I have more time than money so though I'd give it a try.Got some pretty good bench material out of this beauty.I've got a couple nice logs left but am saving them for last.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

RiveRRanch

First post,always figured it would be in the did something dumb topic but wanted to add some photos to this post since it's been slow. Sawed a few firsts for me dogwood, & sourwood. Couple birch, poplar and pine in the photos as well. 

SawyerTed

Welcome!  Great first post 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Wlmedley

If you don't have any special plans for the dogwood it is good to use to make felling wedges if you stay away from the heartwood. I think I got the idea from Howard and made some.It's pretty tough wood and wedges held up well.Welcome and hang around awhile!
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Click your user name and there you will be at your profile. Also, see the "my gallery" to go there and see the duplicates that you probably have already figured out why. If any are not "upright", you can turn them 90° to make them right. 

Prolly will ask why the tooth marks are showing up on your sawn lumber. Or you may already know the answer to that.   :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chickenchaser

Well...I pulled off of a job a year ago to the day due to mechanical issues and weather. The intention was to repair and return with better weather.
Anyone that is smoking/drinking/shaving/sawmilling age - we know what a year can do to intentions.
BTW, my wife says I only qualify for the sawmilling category - and just barely.

The job started last year as yellow poplar 1x12 and batten strips for my then 98 years old uncle. Also pine and white oak 2xs for his son.

The last two white oaks waited a year for me to return. You know WO. They can wait a long time. My uncle was not as patient. I guess at 99 he's quit buying green bananas.

I returned a couple weeks ago. Knocked out the WO without any problems.

I was also given a nice SYP for my own use, as well as a small black walnut. Both were blown down prior to my arrival last year but had to wait for me also.

It was decided more poplar was needed for another project. Salvage logs were acceptable and some more pine are probably coming as well.

I'm only able to hit a lick here and there and the weather is about to turn wet...but only for the weekend they say.

I think I have another surprise waiting for me...

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Southside

Hey - we found someone with more chickens than me!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chickenchaser

Quote from: Southside on December 01, 2023, 09:25:55 PM
Hey - we found someone with more chickens than me!  :D
Well I need to edit my info. Still got 'em but the head count is under 10K now. 
WoodMizer LT35HD

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

chickenchaser

Quote from: Stephen1 on December 02, 2023, 07:32:12 AM
Now he needs a kiln !
Stephen

Being applicable to more than just my post, I'll risk a reply. 😉

When I was sawmill shopping, I mentioned to Nathan at WMGA that I was going to put the mill in an out-of-production poultry house...his eyes wides a bit and he said that was ideal for sawing and air drying. 
Still working toward that setup (long story) but I've even had thoughts about a solar collector addition to step up the drying. 

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

Southside

How much experience do you have with Santeria?  You may be well positioned to expand your business.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

chickenchaser

Quote from: Southside on December 02, 2023, 08:42:05 AM
How much experience do you have with Santeria?  You may be well positioned to expand your business.  :D
Well...I had to look up the definition - if that answers your question.  :P
WoodMizer LT35HD

chickenchaser

My surprise log!

Rainbow Poplar 

:D
WoodMizer LT35HD

caveman

There is metal within that log.  
Caveman

Southside

That was my first thought too, but look near the top and you can see the green. May or may not require a sacrifice ceremony, time will tell.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

GAB

From the picture, I can't tell if he is planning on sawing top down or bottom up.
If the picture is of the bottom, is it possible that the metal is in the stump?
If there is a "sacrifice ceremony" I'd like to know what was the cause of the stain.
In any case better to sacrifice a blade than the four blades in a 24" planer.
Best of luck to you,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

chickenchaser

Yep. That is the butt cut. 
I recognized the stains immediately. At least they resembled what I had found on other occasions. 

The otherwise straight log has a pronounced crook the first 3-4 ft. 
I cut 6" off with my chainsaw. Well almost. I think I hit some metal and stopped. I wedged off as much as possible and the two opposing stains (approximately 11oclock and 4oclock) are both situated at the same growth ring. I'm thinking living fence post. 
That also might explain the bend. 

I'm not sure how I will saw it. I don't intend to use a new blade. 
WoodMizer LT35HD

SwampDonkey

I swear mister sawmiller, there's never been a fence on that tree, nor has there been a tree house with nailed on ladder up to it. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chickenchaser

To my surprise...

I hit no metal. YET. 

I did shorten the 12' to 8'6" and lost most of the crook. Maybe I lost the non wood??

The cutoff. 

The only thing I found in the finished product. 

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

Stephen1

Chickenchaser, if you had put on a new blade you would have found that metal. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

chickenchaser

That was my exact words to my cousin yesterday. 

He retired from a paper mill and worked in the wood yard so he recognized the stain also. 

I'm going to split and burn the cutoff...eventually. Just to satisfy my need for confirmation. lol 

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

Resonator

And if you own a sawmill, you own a metal detector. Just saw into the log and listen for it... Zing!  :D
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!