iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Maintenance/Repairs

Started by Magicman, February 23, 2023, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I thought I had remembered that the LED's were a mod but I had to go look at my mill anyway. I would have been terribly embarrassed if they had been there and me not to have noticed after all these years.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dad2FourWI

As we continue our mill maintenance.... having great success with the new speed pot replacement. We decided to clean out the area by the Up/Down Assembly.

Took both front and rear panels off and wiped down and blew out.... it was really dirty, quite embarrassing!  :-[

When my son found a grease zerk fitting on a bearing... looks like the Bearing, Flanged Up/Down  part no: 014090 in the parts manual - even though the manual does not show a grease fitting in the drawing.

Well, I have to admit that we have never greased that bearing.... and I have asked other sawyers here if they knew about this grease fitting and they too have not been maintaining this fitting.

I just thought I would add this to the list because there might be other sawyers who don't know about this well hidden zerk/grease fitting! LOL!

Cheers! 
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Magicman

That is a very slow operating bearing and a good greasing will last many years.  Sometimes during cleanup I may even remember that it is there and give it a few pumps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dad2FourWI

LOL!!!!!! OK, I will not worry about that but I will add it to the yearly maint list!

Thanks @Magicman , your experience is much appreciated!!!!!

If you ever get to central Wisconsin, let me know and lunch is at my place!!!!!  8)

-Dad2FourWI

WV Sawmiller

Dad brings up a good point that I wish came with the operator/maintenance manual for the mills - a simple chart showing/listing the locations of all the grease zerks so when we grease the mill we don't miss one. I grease every fitting I know of but if I am missing one I don't know it. I cant imagine it would be hard to generate one at the factory by doing a simple search on Grease fittings. Maybe the mill makers are reading this and can generate one in the future.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sod saw

Some of the old, old tractor manuals had those lube locations on a picture  of the machine.  Many manuals had multi pages of different views showing locations of grease fittings and fill caps for oils etc.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Chuck White

IIRC that zerk is to be greased every 1,000 hours.

On my mill, I greased it any time the shield was off!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dad2FourWI

Yes, I still refer back to my old Ford manual for the locations of the zerks... that is exactly what I wanted for my mill. 

I said this same thing to the tech support at WM.... and he said to "Get to know your mill better".  

OK, he is correct, but gee, not exactly what I wanted to hear! LOL!  :D

moosehunter

Started my " I wish it was yearly but don't think I got to it last year " in the garage maintenance. 

Stainless bunk caps off, ground off the rust, rust converter, black equipment paint. I'll wait a week for the paint to dry then put the caps back on.
Changing all fluids and filters. Control boxes all open to check for loose connections and green goonies.
If anyone knows, tell me about pulling the idler side band wheel. The bearing has always had some side to side play, not worried about that. Now to seems loud when I free spin it. I would like to get it off so I can feel the bearing with my fingers. I may have to borrow/ rent a large puller.
Next weekend the bunk covers will go back on the I can go through a complete adjustment on the band / head / setworks. 
Off to see a movie with my 7 yo grand son this afternoon.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

doc henderson

what movie?  My daughter and I go to all the new great animated movies.  the same ones have been shoeing here for 2 months.  she is 24 with a degree in animation.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Smallmill

"If anyone knows, tell me about pulling the idler side band wheel.."

Take the bolt out and it comes right off. No force necessary to remove in my experience. I've replaced the bearings more than a few times and they always seem to have some play in them. 

GAB

Quote from: doc henderson on March 05, 2023, 10:48:50 AM
what movie?  My daughter and I go to all the new great animated movies.  the same ones have been shoeing here for 2 months.  she is 24 with a degree in animation.
Doc:
Thanks for the education.  I had never heard of a degree in animation.  
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

many of the classes are also in game design or graphic design, but only one college in Ks offers that bachelors degree.  they do the computer style.  My daughter like the old 2 D.
Thanks GAB, Doc!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moosehunter

Smallmill; it won't just slide off. Tried some pressure with a hammer and brass drift. It ain't movin.

Doc, Puss N Boots. Some of that computer animation is impressive!

mh

OlJarhead

(15) How to Replace a Bandwheel Bearing - Wood Mizer LT40 - YouTube
Sure didn't slide off for me! LOL

and I learned to leave the C-Clip on and let a machine shop deal with it :o ;D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

moosehunter

OJ, thanks for the video. I was pretty sure that is what I would need to do. mh

OlJarhead

moosehunter

OJ , I like the sign on your mill! It looks familiar

mh

Stephen1

Quote from: caveman on February 23, 2023, 04:49:05 PM
That is not a bad price to be back in the saw seat.

When I removed the blade after sawing on Monday, I saw a oil fill line I never noticed before. I did not see anywhere to put oil or even check it near the sticker.  Please provide me some guidance on this.

This is on the drive side behind the blade wheel.
I am going to say it is the oil level for the drive side main bearing.
Sorry I replied before I read the whole thread

I check my Drive belt Tension 1st of the week, ATF everything at the same time, chain, felt, all nuts and bolts. I have a small pump oil can that I fill and go around the machine until it's empty. 
I do need another chip deflector, I am on #3 on this mill. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

OlJarhead

lol @moosehunter I think a lot of us use that one 😉

barbender

I don't remember how I got the idle side bearing off. It may have just slid off once the retaining bolt was removed, or I used a 3 jaw puller. Either way it didn't fight me enough for me to remember it🤷

I've changed those bearings several times, now I upgraded my idle wheel and it has a much larger single single bearing.
Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

I used some Anti cease after replacing the bearing on mine at the advice of WM.  I'm hopeful it goes smoothly next time LOL...and I don't plan on taking an eye out next time either, so I'll let the machine shop take care of that...er the C-Clip :P

wisconsitom

@barbender, on that idle side upgrade, I see you used a large single single bearing.  I take it that's a double bearing?😉
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Magicman

Not much to write home about but today it was "find the insulation worn" ground (pulsing) wire that feeds the LubeMizer and repair the insulation.  A bit of rerouting and couple of zip ties will prevent this from happening again.  The pivoting motion of the engine when the auto clutch is engaged was the culprit that caused the problem.

So afterwards it was change the engine oil & filter and also both of the fuel filters.  Fueled up, filled the blade box, and I should be ready for Monday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

My recent adventure manifested itself in a massive oil leak on the top end of my kohler 25hp engine.

I changed out the breather gasket

and the breather filter, and I think I fixed it.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!