iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what I did today

Started by maple flats, May 14, 2005, 04:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I own a rental house about 1  1/4 hr drive from my house. Last year my wife's cousen's son (not sure what you call that) lived in the house and I marked some trees for him to cut for firewood to heat the home and gave him specific orders not to cut certain trees. Guess what, he cut a forbidden tree kind of like Adam and Eve. He however left the tree (a 22"dbh cherry) part of the way down a steep bank with about a 50' drop at about 60 degree angle. Guess he couldn't figure how to get it out. Today I went ant retrieved the first 2 but logs 8' long and winched them onto my trailer. That was about all my Bravada wants to haul weight wise. He has since moved out (my idea) and I am ready to sell the property. May go back for 2 more logs next weekend. I'll try to get pictures if I remember the camera, forgot it today.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ernie

"Last year my wife's cousen's son (not sure what you call that)"

How about IDIOT

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

old3dogg

Maybe he just ran out of fire wood? ???

maple flats

No he still had more of the approved trees to cut. They were smaller and crouding the good cherries I wanted to save. He cut a few of them but left about 6 in the size range of 8"-14". The ones I told him not to cut were all over 20" dbh and rather straight and sound. The approved to cut ones were either broken limbs, crooked or smaller. The one I retreived today still had the flag I put on it saying DO NOT CUT. Many of the approved trees would have been easier to cut and process. My fault, I had even bought him the chainsaw, bet I don't do that again for him.
My wife and I had purchased the house just for him and his family.  He was out on his luck. The plan was to rent it to him for about a year or two and then sell it to him for just what we had into it. HOWEVER, he didn't pay the rent even though he worked about 60-70 hours each week. The rent was just what our mortgage payment was, no mark-up. He loses.   The trees were just the straw that broke the camel's back. He looked a gift horse in the mouth and wouldn't do his part.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sawguy21

Sounds like  curlywood's neighbor Jon should have a little chat with that boy about attitude and opportunities. No wonder he is down on his luck as you put it.
Last summer, my sister hired a tree service to cut back a maple that was crowding the house. They did the job satisfactorily. We went to mom's funeral and when we returned the cleanup crew had removed the tree!! Sure glad I was not on the other end of that phone call.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

maple flats

I finished off an OLD batch of cherry and loaded the smaller of the ones I hauled yesterday and got ready to saw. Realized I didnt have my metal detector with me as I had shot trap earlier and after that I went directly to the saw mill. Didn't have enough time left before an appointment so I will scan it next time and then saw if it is clean. This was a yard tree but grew on an almost impossibly steep bank. Hope it is clean of metal.

maple flats

During the week I used the detector, found no metal and sawed up the smaller log, loaded the larger butt log on the mill and checked it for metal, none yet. Only started a top layer and had to go back to work, and then it rained everytime I had off.
Today I went back and pulled out the rest of the tree, measured the stump height left (he cut it at 56" above the ground on the upper side of the slope, I would have cut it about 18-24" tall). I loaded the last sawlog and pulled some firewood up and left it in a pile. I am selling the property and have the closing before 5/31 supposedly, at a handsome profit too. The log I hauled home was about 16' long, 17" at the butt, however it has a crotch at about 13.5' and has a slight crook to it. Might make a 8, cut the rest off at the very top of the crotch and see how interesting it looks when I open it up.  I got a couple of pictures before starting to pull it up the bank, but then forgot to get pictures of my winch and pulleys to pull it up. had cables and chains all over the place. I put a block behind the Bravada tires but it kept sliding. Then I cut a 2 x 4 the right length to prop against the brake pedal which also set the trailer brakes and the log started moving up. I loaded the entire thing as 1 log and will cut it later when I decide where. I will take some pictures tomorrow before unloading it and then I'll need to study how to post them. Still need to order some end sealer, would have helped on this one I'm sure. I'll get pictures of some of the lumber too.  8) 8)

maple flats

maple flats

This is a pic of the butt log from the cherry I salvaged after being cut by my ex tenant. I have just opened it up. Will let you know what I get. So far no metal detected.  8) 8)
http://home.earthlink.net/~dklish/P5220036a.jpg
Maple Flats

jerry-m

Nice Log. bet you get some great cherry boards...

I'll keep my fringers crossed for no metal ;D
Jerry

maple flats

So far my metal detector hasn't failed me. On one log last weekend I kept getting a read at 8"+ so I sawed 1 x 6's out and then got a read at 8"+ again, sawed another layer 1 x 6 out and again the same thing, but I didn't have only a little log left so I finished it and checked again Then I found a quarter on the ground under where my log had been in the sawdust. As most of you probably know I run a peterson and therefor have only wood bunks under my logs and no frame or track. I thought this really showed the detector was good at doing it's job. Next time I get a chance to saw I still have a short crotch log from my salvaged cherry logs. Hope to make some nice wide boards from that and one full width live edge board if the log is as good as the rest when I open it up. First I've got to do some more work in my blueberries to get ready for spraying in about 10-12 days. Sorry guys, tried to avoid spray for 20 years but the yield just wasn't there and those bug got too many and ruined my whole crop 2 years ago.

Corley5

Nothing at all wrong with some pesticide 8) ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!