iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fiddlehead Season is here

Started by Mooseherder, May 10, 2023, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

They're coming up in Northern Maine on the banks of waterways.  :)

Southside

That means so are the smelt! Get the ployes cooking! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wudman

I made it up to Northern Maine once.  All the country stores were advertising fiddleheads so I figured I had to give them a try.  Believe I'll stick to GRITS south of the Mason Dixon. :D

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

thecfarm

Should be selling them in town then. There will be someone on the side of the street with a big sign.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Just shows how much I know - I opened this thread expecting to see a plate full of fried catfish. (Umm - I guess those are bullheads. Oops.)

How do you cook/prepare (Repair? :D) a fiddlehead?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mooseherder

Most people boil or steam them then butter.  My favorite is a dish we call Mess Pork.  It's a salt brined pork roast or chops. Like a boiled dinner with potatoes and whatever you like in it.  Viende Salle.

The foraging for fiddleheads is the fun part.

K-Guy

I have a bunch at my place, pick all you want. i leave them for you!!  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Mooseherder

Okay, but if you're ever starving you're gonna have to wait until next May.  :D

sawguy21

I'm not familiar with them but had my first feed of steamed local asparagus with butter and pepper. Oh my oh my! 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

peakbagger

My friends uncle would head up to the Golden Road with camper and big freezer in the back. They would head into a few favorite spots and fill the freezer. One of them had them out of the freezer year round as one of his primary veggies. He did not can them, just kept them in chest freezer. 

WV Sawmiller

SG21,

Sorry but I think a good old plate of properly/lightly salted grits and butter will beat a plate of asparagus any time. (TEHO).

PB,

I wonder how they would be stir fried? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

We've been eating some this week. Add butter, some folks add vinegar. The ones up at the woodlot have all gone to fern stage now.

I've picked and ate them from the Skeena River near Prince Rupert. The Indian folk were picking them to out there. Ostrich fern is what we eat here. No one in the west that I knew ever ate them, except the Indians. Some were down right skeered to eat'm. Too much listening to government experts not wanting you to eat natural stuff. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I picked enough for one meal.  There's probably one more coming up.  There's not a lot of them on our property but 2 meals will suffice.

SwampDonkey

We blanch the fiddles heads here before freezing, otherwise you have black fiddle heads. Still edible black, but not inviting to eat. :D

I have a species of wood fern (Dryopteris austriaca) on my place that the winter never kills. It of course in flattened by the snow, but totally green, the cold doesn't burn it. I noticed one this spring beside a fir that broke off in the wind.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Reckon this one is 'bout ready??  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Andries

Coconut fiddlehead?
:D :D :D 
In one end, out the other - 'got ate already'.
Some folks benefit by more fibre in their diets. arg-smiley
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of the cat that consumed a fur ball. You know what became of the fur ball. :D ;)

Mooseherder

Had them for the 4th time tonight.   The foraging part is fun also and it also signals the start of the summer season.   :)

Southside

Smelt running in the cove? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mooseherder

Last I heard about smelt was Long Lake had a healthy population of them but that was a few years ago.  I know they're stocking trout in the waterways now.  WAGM showed that clip over and over for a couple of days. :D

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

Smelt fishing is always a thing on the Miramachi River here in New Brunswick in May. Grandfather used to go over there and dip net them. But you can get them in the store now to. They are a tasty little fish. They come from the sea and run the river. :)

Mooseherder

We used to dip net by Mud brook which is a tributary of Long lake.

fluidpowerpro

When I saw the picture I said that looks like a fern just coming up in the spring. Look it up and sure enough, I was right. Didn't know you could eat them. I see one pick that says "the kind you don't eat" .
I've got ferns growing every where on my land. How do I know which ones I can eat?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!