iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickleball Dugout Sealant Recommendations

Started by mattlynch, May 11, 2023, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattlynch

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a sealant for this oak frame that will not significantly alter the color but preserve the wood well since it is fairly exposed to the elements in this small two-post pavilion.

Any suggestions?

Planeiron

With the nice overhang you'll probably only worry about UV damage. Not sure its easily available in the states and costs a small fortune but I used one coat of Sikkens cetol HLS plus followed by 2 coats of sikkens cetol filter 7 plus (who comes up with these names) on a set of double doors I made for my small barn. Granted the doors aren't oak (nice naturally oily iroko rails and stiles with siberian larch panels from material left over from siding) but I'm sure this stuff would do the job. Took this photo of the doors today. Been in situ for a couple of years and they are wearing well. For comparison the door frame is also iroko and has been left in the natural state. Still beautiful to my eye but UV faded. The barn is clad in untreated larch. I'm sure this sikkens stuff comes in a completely neutral finish (mine has a little tint in it)... silver wood is nice too ;)

mattlynch

Thanks DBoyle. I did a quick google search and it looks like they have a transparent finish available. 

The doors look great btw!

Thank You Sponsors!