iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with a dig pattern.

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2023, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Here I go again. I'm afraid if I stop I'll die. ffsmiley 

It's bone dry will be for at least another week and offroad diesel is as low as it has been in a long time. For $50 in fuel I can get me more fill for trails and create my debris collection pond using the rock pile that was put there I would say over a century ago. I'm  removing the rocks, digging the new part, then adding the rock back over the edges. There will be a shallow bedding area in between that is already there.  When we get big rain the runoff can be torrential. This will also help with erosion near the pond I hope

I CRASHED MY DRONE SURVEYING MY POND PROJECT 2
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Sounds like plain. Too bad about the drone. ffcheesy ffcheesy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Always something to do on the old farm.  :sunny: :thumbsup:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of an old lot I was just working on. Old diggings near the 'now road', but you could see where the road was shifted at least 2 other times and a real old road way back in that the only evidence was an old ditch and 3 old 40's car tops abandoned on it. I told the boss, someone was digging for gold out here. I think you might find some gold after awhile up at the cabin, Jeff.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcool  

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I somehow noticed this in the clay, under the pile of rocks. If I had to guess it could be close to 100 years since it was lost near that rock pile.

Magicman

So now you find out that you really did not need da backhoe afterall.  You already had everything, except it was hidden.  :wacky:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

looks like a wall hanger.  send it to me and I will put a saying, poem or scripture on it for you.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I've never seen a riveted spade before. Got to be old.   I've been around old tools to, places like mom's uncle's old shop, where he was meticulous about tools and where they hung. Dad's tools, were more like in a heaped pile, always knew where that old jute sewing needle was for sewing potato sacks to, could put his hand right on it. It weren't shiny stainless steel neither. :D

doc henderson

How long would a modern shovel from Lowes last in wet soil... not that long.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Yes for sure, but there are better made garden tools out there. Some are stainless steel. Of course the wooden handles would be long gone sitting in the mud, or even on a rock pile.  ffcheesy

Magicman

I agree about da rivets Donk, it's old.  It is obvious the previous owner buried a Pot-O-Gold there and left that shovel as a site marker.  Da Gold is deeper......much deeper.  smiley_smug01
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Oak Tamarack Island. Im going to flood the treasure!

Jeff

Its hard to tell thats around 9' or so deep from the edge

doc henderson

tell us about the new picture.  

Jeff

Basically it is what I described in post 500 above. I still have some clean up around the edges and some material to remove on one side but it's basically close. ffcheesy it's a little over 9 ft deep to the edge but that does not translate to the water being 9 ft deep. It's going to be over 8 I will bet. This clay was hard once again the teeth marks from the bucket are left.  I'm going to leave the bottom craggy I've got rocks where the water comes into it and they'll be rocks where the water passes on out of this and into the existing ponds. There are also rocks piled in the bottom.

If I hadn't already known that I can maintain the depth of the pond Without Rain I never would have attempted this. But knowing I can run the well down there and easily maintain full even through this drought we've had, I knew it was time to expand the pond if I was going to. So rain starts next week I suspect this won't fill until spring and then it will just naturally start flowing across as it floods over into the other pond. But my plan is the way I have it laid out is to take the topsoil that's going to basically all that's dividing it now strip that out of there and it should be perfect for Bluegill bedding between those ponds

I haven't measured it yet but I'm going to see that pond extension is probably 80 ft long so there's quite a bit more water there you would have to walk around if you want to get to the other side of the pond, so I can see the next project already. I'll need a foot bridge across that narrow spot where it's shallow. Hopefully I can find a couple poles some place. I don't have any tamarack trees I'm willing to sacrifice.

Jeff

doc henderson

what about your picture with the bigfoot carving?

Jeff

Magicman

Or maybe........da missing link.   :uhoh:

doc henderson

Nice to see your evolution!    ffcheesy

Resonator

Like the sunrise between the trees! :sunny:
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jeff

NE Woodburner

That is some pretty! You've really changed the place for the better.

Jeff

Quote from: NE Woodburner on Today at 12:54:07 PMThat is some pretty! You've really changed the place for the better.
Thank you. This place is my canvas. 

Thank You Sponsors!