iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Traveling Forum Visitor...

Started by Resonator, June 17, 2023, 07:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

...stopped by my mill yesterday. Gerald (GAB) and his wife were makin' their way across the USA pulling a camper, and came by for a nice visit. His wife was nice enough to take the pic, and they gave me a bottle of pure Vermont maple syrup. Talked sawmilling for a while, and then he headed out lookin' for a town with a campground. He said he was going toward Minnesota, and to "Warn Andries, I'm a headin' his way." :D move_it
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

Great to see!  I imagine you haven't seen each other since the roast.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

Gerald and Mike stopped by here at the cabin for a bit, but the heavy rain made it impossible to give any kind of tour of the place. Glad to see they are making good progress on their journey. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Resonator

Actually wasn't too long ago (April) I saw GAB at Jake's place. Still it's always nice to see Forum friends. :)

GAB

Currently we are in Deer River, MN hoping to meet up with Barbender.
Through the UP of MI and WI we must of seen over 100 dead deer and remnants of dead deer.
Now I know why cars have to be registered.  So you can hunt deer with them.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

trapper

We also had the pleasure of them visiting us
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

Well I had the pleasure of some Sunday afternoon visitors, Gerald and Mike stopped by. We had a great visit and some good laughs, AND I ended up with some maple syrup too! They're pointed towards Canada now👍

Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Gerald, are you standing in a hole? :D :D :D ;D
 Holy cow Barbender is younger and a lot taller than I had pictured in my head.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Hmm, younger...well I guess I don't know what age you had me figured for. The taller part, yeah I get that a lot. I'm 6'5", kind of a big moose😁

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 18, 2023, 07:15:59 PM
Gerald, are you standing in a hole? :D :D :D ;D
Holy cow Barbender is younger and a lot taller than I had pictured in my head.
Tom:
Our shoe soles are at the same elevation.
The advantage I have is he will get wet before me, if it starts to rain.
The man has doggies, sand, logs, lumber, and of course sawdust.
So far I have enjoyed all visits.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Resonator

Good to see you're makin' progress and meetin' folks along the way! smiley_thumbsup

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GAB on June 18, 2023, 08:16:18 PM
The man has doggies, sand, logs, lumber, and of course sawdust.
What's not to like? ;D :D Sounds like home.
BB, I am embarrassed a bit to say when I saw that photo (Knowing Gerald, but never having met you yet), but the thought that popped into my head was "wow he is a good looking, young strapping dude!" I am not sure of the picture of you I had in my head prior to that but it was something a bit more crusty, shorter and wider. I don't know why and I apologize. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

chet

a bit more crusty, shorter and wider    :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

Gerald forgot firewood in his list😊

If I'm better looking and younger than what you expected, I see no need to apologize! 😁

I didn't realize, because the owners changed the name of the resort, that Gerald and Mike are staying on the other side of the lake behind our property.  So the directions I gave them had them drive ¾ of the way around the lake, instead of ¼ of the way. They didn't mention feeling like they drove in a big circle to get here🤦

Mike is Gerald's wife, a lovely lady that laughed at almost all of me and Gerald's jokes😊  

barbender

Okn so here's how my directions made them go, as I incorrectly assumed they were coming from the east-

And here is the way I should've sent them, about half the distance🤦 Whoops

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: barbender on June 18, 2023, 09:47:35 PM
Gerald forgot firewood in his list😊

If I'm better looking and younger than what you expected, I see no need to apologize! 😁

I didn't realize, because the owners changed the name of the resort, that Gerald and Mike are staying on the other side of the lake behind our property.  So the directions I gave them had them drive ¾ of the way around the lake, instead of ¼ of the way. They didn't mention feeling like they drove in a big circle to get here🤦

Mike is Gerald's wife, a lovely lady that laughed at almost all of me and Gerald's jokes😊  
Firewood is a given. :D
 The little faux paus in directions are easily understandable. You sent them on the much more enjoyable scenic route is all. :D
 Funny I have met a bunch of FF wives and partners and every one of them are smart, sharp, and independent people that can hold their own in a conversation or battle of wits. ;D I mean that as a compliment, because it can't be easy going through life with guys like 'us' unless you have the right mindset.

barbender

Yeah OG, I perhaps had Gerald and Mike under the impression that I was upstanding, intelligent and responsible until my wife got home and straightened things out😂

Stephen1

I think this post needs to be changed to the Adventures of Gerald......
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

teakwood

Quote from: barbender on June 18, 2023, 06:41:10 PM
Well I had the pleasure of some Sunday afternoon visitors, Gerald and Mike stopped by. We had a great visit and some good laughs, AND I ended up with some maple syrup too! They're pointed towards Canada now👍

Dang, you are one big fella, i imagined you as a tiny forwarder driver :D. happy birthday !!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

GAB

BB:
Well I hope your birthday is a great one.
FYI we are currently as I write this in Fort Nelson, BC, headed for Watson Lake tomorrow.
Saw areas today where they had toasted lots of trees.

OG:
BB's wife I "think" is over 6' tall.
In any case they are a tall and very pleasant couple.

GAB

barbender

Thanks GAB. My wife was 5'11" when we got married, I think we've both shrunk ½". But yeah I guess you could say we are "large" folks😊

I hope your trip is going well!

Resonator

Thanks for the update! smiley_thumbsup 
I was just wondering if you made it all the way to Andries place yet. move_it

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GAB on June 24, 2023, 03:47:31 PM........
OG:
BB's wife I "think" is over 6' tall.
In any case they are a tall and very pleasant couple.

GAB
Well handsome and beauty comes in all sizes, no doubt. The older I get I find beauty in people I would have 'bypassed' in my younger years through ignorance. Half my family (my side) had always been thin and of moderate to tall heights, and the other half (with a different set on ancestors) has been wider and shorter, then we have some in between, from both families (its complicated) but they are all blessed and valuable to me. 
 I was only commenting on the picture I had in my little head of what Barbender MIGHT have looked like. He's lucky if he has a partner about his height. The top of my wife's head comes up to about my chin. (I too, am about 5'11" now and have been shrinking for a few years.)
 Glad you guys are having a great trip and I hope the rest of it continues as well.

Thank You Sponsors!