iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New pickup shopping.

Started by hedgerow, July 23, 2023, 10:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Yep Resonator, I've seen some of those high mile hotshot trucks, too. I was tempted by a few, the bodies were clean. I don't mind putting money into something as long as it won't be a pile of dust before I get some of the investment back. 

The megacab rear seats do indeed recline. I might let my daughter drive on the trip and jump back there to recline myself😁

I have high hopes for the engine brake on mountain grades. We came down a 10 mile long, 10% grade with the 03 and the camper. The road was not good, either. No engine brake, I was in 2nd gear and I still had to ride my brakes. Pucker factor was quite high😂
Too many irons in the fire

livemusic

I have been truck shopping too long and hesitance has been price (and I can even afford it but it makes me mad, lol) and it will probably not be popular here but I hate the largeness of modern 1/2 ton trucks. It started several years ago. I would like to know the actual year; I have read where someone said it was 2015. All of them are big now. I find it ridiculous. What was wrong with the 1/2 tons prior to this bigness move? Nothing. I am seriously considering just buying a used truck from yesteryear, I hate how big these trucks are. Pain to park and just not fun to drive. I currently have a 2008 Nissan Titan. My brothers F150 feels like driving a tank. JMO. As far as price, it'll probably take a big crash to fix it.
~~~
Bill

Walnut Beast

What about a Chevy Colorado. I talked too a guy that has one and he loves it. Ford has one in that size also

Walnut Beast

That's exactly how I will order

Southside

I don't understand why they run 4:10's with all that torque.  3:73's would keep the RPM's down and increase fuel efficiency.  Help stretch out that "free" 5.5 gallons of diesel. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

The 3.73 is  standard the 4.10 is a option. I've got the 3.73 and absolutely no complaints just going a little deeper 

customsawyer

One thing I have a hard time adjusting to is the RPMs these new diesel engines can turn. My first diesel pickup had 185HP from the factory and 5 speed manual. I used it for pulling everything including my 20,000 lbs. dozer. I think it red lined at 2200 RPMs or so. My newest is a 2017 and I'm not even sure where it red lines at but I think it's close to 5000 RPM.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

livemusic

Quote from: Walnut Beast on August 28, 2023, 10:55:42 PM
What about a Chevy Colorado. I talked too a guy that has one and he loves it. Ford has one in that size also
It's a nice truck but I just prefer a 1/2 ton. The Colorado is a tad too small and, to my knowledge, only comes with 4-cylinder. Not so good for pulling loads.
On a sidenote, IMO, the bigness of modern 1/2 ton trucks is one reason they cost so stupid much. That and loads of bells and whistles, and profit. The government and automakers created these wasteful monsters. And the public has not rebelled. I suppose the public likes the bigness, it's the American way. Go big or go home. And I'm not even talking about tricked-out trucks. I keep expecting a big 'correction' but people got plenty of money. The current Taylor Swift tour is the largest in history, by far. The vast bulk of her fans are young girls/women. The average attendee spends $1,300 for one of these shows. Ticket, new outfit with boots, fancy beads and bangles, show t-shirts and other swag, hotel, meals, even plane tickets. People got plenty of money. The 1/2 tons will continue with their bigness.
~~~
Bill

hedgerow

Livemusic  Its funny you should talk about the size of the half ton pickups. Yesterday we finally went to a dealer about sixty miles away to look at a new Chevy high country in the tri coat white we want. You open the rear doors on the Chevy and the back seat room has increased a bunch. The sales guy said in years back he had lost a far amount of sales to Ford's F-150 because there were a lot more room in the back of the Ford than the Chevy had. Didn't buy one yesterday. Did like the Chevy. Now its time to go try out a Ford. Looks like we are going to drive 150 miles one way to drive a ford with the tri-coat white and a V-8.  

JD Guy

@livemusic I might suggest that you look for a work truck model with standard cab. It will be shorter in length and they used to come with vinyl floors (no carpet) and little to no whistles and bells.

Ljohnsaw

Looks like the Cyber Truck will start delivering very soon. I forget if that is one or two years behind the original date. Anyhow, I input my reservation number into a spreadsheet on the web. Says I should get delivery January 14th!  8) 

2025 ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chep

I'm about to buy a pretty sweet forwarder for a fair bit less then that pickup :D @Walnut Beast 
Don't you live in the land of no rust? What's wrong with your old truck? i know some people want the best and newest. But 114k for a pickup truck?  You got to be kidding me!!
This stuff is out of hand guys. Stop the train I want to get out!  :-[

Walnut Beast

Your right prices are insane. And very few dealers will move at all off sticker on a special order. The best I found was 2k off 

customsawyer

I had to drive my truck into town yesterday and checked to see where it red lined. 4000 RPMs is the start of the red but it goes on up to 5000.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hedgerow

So we had made a decision to try to buy the Chevy high country. We had gotten a price when we looked at it. Salesman said there was some room to work. So I texted him what our numbers were. This was to be a no trade cash deal and we had said that when we took a look at it. All of a sudden the price he gave us wasn't the price any more and they wanted another fifteen hundred dollars more than the quoted price. We won't be buying any GM products now. Done with them. Time to look at a Ford. Going on a road trip 150 miles Tuesday to look at one. 

GRANITEstateMP

hedgerow,

I've been there before, wait a day or two and send an email to the sales manager explaining that there attempt at slide of hand just cost them a sure thing deal.  At the end of the month if they don't hit there sales number Mr. shady deal may feel the wrath...or they might all be that way!  If you liked the truck, contact another local dealer, explain what happened and see if they'll match the original deal?

Unless y'all like the Ford better, than ta heck with the Chevy
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

hedgerow

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on September 01, 2023, 06:02:56 PM
hedgerow,

I've been there before, wait a day or two and send an email to the sales manager explaining that there attempt at slide of hand just cost them a sure thing deal.  At the end of the month if they don't hit there sales number Mr. shady deal may feel the wrath...or they might all be that way!  If you liked the truck, contact another local dealer, explain what happened and see if they'll match the original deal?

Unless y'all like the Ford better, than ta heck with the Chevy
The sales manager was in on this deal. And our plan was to finish the deal yesterday the last day of the month. We did like the truck but not enough to pay more. I am old school I don't take lightly to this way of doing business. I just won't be buying GM at any dealer. If any Ford dealer tries some thing similar I won't be buying Ford. 

Old Greenhorn

Whether you buy another Chevy from a different dealer or not I would let them know, especially the manager, that their greed cost them the deal. They (he) probably heard 'cash deal' and thought he could squeeze more out of a buyer with that much cash. An agreement is just hat, and if he backs out, you should call him on it. Then go and let your neighbors know how they do business.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bradm

Quite often the dealers make more money on selling the finance contract than the actual sale of the truck.  I would also make sure the owner of the dealership knows that you will never be back because of how that sales rep/sales manager changed the price after he heard cash deal.

GRANITEstateMP

Bradm is right, the dealer makes money off the finance. side of the sale. That being said, you were quoted a price, them backing away from that quoted price is bad business!  I've misquoted jobs/deals before, it was a tough lesson learned on my part, but I did the right thing and stuck to my quote.

Tom and Bradm are also right, someone higher up the food chain should hear that the greed on the floor not only cost them a sale, nut caused you to go into a different brand
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mudfarmer

I needed a small truck to replace my ranger when it broke in half, right when the used market went stupid and ended up buying a new one because it was cheaper than a used one ??? :D It was very very very difficult to find a low trim work-truck style model, every dealer had rows of top of the line every option you can think of for 2x base price but it took most of a year to find a bare-bones model. 5x various trim levels showed up at a dealer in VT on a Thursday and I bought "the last one" on Saturday morning (the soonest I could make it there). They -refused- to sell it to me if I did not finance it through the dealer/manufacturer. 

They had also told me when I was on my 4 hour drive there that they still had two of the extreme base model left, which meant no rear seats, steel wheels, no running boards or other garbage. Those two trucks were still on the lot when I showed up but they shuffled me to a different salesman and claimed they were sold and if I wanted one at all it was the $5k more one or nothing.

I will name and shame them, it was Handy Toyota in St. Albans VT and I will never do business with them again.

chevytaHOE5674

So hedgerow your going to rule out an entire brand because you don't like the way a individual dealership does business?

If you think a Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc dealer won't do the same thing your crazy.

So if your local Ace hardware made you mad would you completely rule out say Milwaukee power tools because they are sold at Ace?

Old Greenhorn

I don't blame him, and I would (and have) done the same thing. I am getting near 70, and as it turns out, I can hold a well earned prejudice a long time. ;D It's why I won't even think about a Toyota truck anymore, similar deal. They lost me forever.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Finance the truck. Pay it off the same week.  Screw them all!

What rubs me wrong are the junk fees.  What is a "doc fee?"  Just dealer speak for $500 of pure profit.

I bought my wife a car for successfully defending her dissertation and completing her PhD.  I told the salesman my offer, I told the sales manager my offer.  It was $xx,xxx out the door.  They came back with my offer plus all the fees.  

I asked them both, "Do you understand that I will not pay more than my original offer no matter how you do the math?"  

It took two hours but I got what I wanted in the end.  They reduced the car price and added all the junk fees to equal my offer.   

Just for meaness, I financed it and paid it off at the bank the next week.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 03, 2023, 05:14:29 AM

Just for meaness, I financed it and paid it off at the bank the next week.
I like that Ted.
I did the dance with them and got the best deal I could.
Then I asked How much for cash.  :D The man did not what to say.
You got cash he asked? In my pocket I said. ;D
I saved 5,000.00 that day. :D ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!