iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tooth de-setter

Started by fluidpowerpro, July 28, 2023, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawilson

While you're at it invent one that mounts to a bench beside my sharpener so it desetts just before it gets pulled through. I've made a couple feeble attempts at it and will gladly pay. Lol.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

fluidpowerpro

What has been the challenge?
Does the sharpener have enough power to also pull the blade through the de-setter? 
Also, I have found it works better to push the blade through my de-setter, not pull it. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Crossroads

Any thoughts on why it would work better pushing instead of pulling? It seems like the opposite would be true because there would be no side to side deflection when pulling. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

fluidpowerpro

It seems that the blade wants to ride up a little if I pull it. When I push, it stays down. I'm thinking if I build more, using larger diameter ball bearings would help. Currently they are 1 3/8" diameter.
Change is hard....

tawilson

The advance mechanism pushes downward so I don't think it would be a problem with the blade riding up.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

terrifictimbersllc

The blade moving up or down depends on roller tilt.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fluidpowerpro

My rollers are parallel with no tilt. Just to see if my theory is correct, I already ordered some larger diameter bearings to modify with and try out. 
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

So I just manually pull mine through. If it starts riding up, I tip it up which pulls it down as it enters. Picture it, it seems backwards but it works.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....

fluidpowerpro

Terrific, considering what LJ said, did you mean tilted towards the entering blade? When you said tilted. I was thinking in relation to each other.
Change is hard....

Ljohnsaw

So as the blade is passing from left to right, the right side is up just a tad higher. The entering side is a little lower and continues to want to go lower as it passes by.

If it doesn't go quick enough, I sometimes reverse the tilt and direction for a few inches and resume.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fluidpowerpro

So that would mean if the rollers are tilted slightly towards the entering side, that would be the same? Correct?
Change is hard....

Crossroads

Try rotating the tool 180° and see if the blade still wants to climb 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dan R

When I set a blade before sharpening if the dial indicator shows more than the desired amount I simply bend the single tooth back and then reset that tooth. Can't take credit for that way saw it on YouTube Mr Robert in Mississippi if I remember correctly 
Dan

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on July 30, 2023, 08:12:15 PM
So that would mean if the rollers are tilted slightly towards the entering side, that would be the same? Correct?
I suppose. Seems easier to put things on straight and plumb than some precise but very small angle.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Case 16+4 Trencher

Chuck White

My desetter is set up so that when I pull a blade through it, I pull with my left hand and my right hand raising or lowering the blade will determine if the blade stays down in the rollers or rises!

Lowering or raising the right hand determines what happens at the rollers!

Pulling the blade, you'll have more control of the blade than pushing, and pushing the blade can cause you to kink or break the blade or get yourself cut!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on July 30, 2023, 06:30:28 PM
Terrific, considering what LJ said, did you mean tilted towards the entering blade? When you said tilted. I was thinking in relation to each other.
Tilting, as in The bolts that the bearing are mounted on, are not exactly at 90° or maybe that under the forces operating, that the bearings are not quite parallel to the blade being pulled through. Tilt, also as in raising the blade up or down, while pulling it through, as has been suggested above, or as crossroads, suggested, turning it around and pulling it through the other way and seeing then that the blade wants to move down. If one does want to use the setter in the opposite direction, it might be necessary to invert the blade, so that one can continue to pull it through the teeth pointing backwards.
I was not suggesting fabricating a setter With adjustable angle or drilling the holes for the bolts that the bearing bolts are on at an angle. I was just pointing out that bearing/roller tilt can determine whether the blade wants to move up or down as it goes through the rollers. I agree that you have to adjust your pull so that the blade wants to stay between the rollers, that you need to be pulling, rather than pushing, and that you had better have gloves on.
Also, I don't think that the motor or pusher on the BMT 200/250 are robust enough to stand up very long to the force needed to de set teeth, by pulling rhe blade  through one of these desetters mounted in-line. At least not on .055 blades.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fluidpowerpro

You guys were right. Just a little tilt of the blade and I can pull it through.
Thanks!

Change is hard....

Cedarman

To see if the desetter will bring a wayward tooth back with the rest try bending a couple teeth about 5 to 8 thousandths out.  Then pull through the desetter and see if the set on those teeth match the normal teeth.  You could do this with an old broken blade and try different amounts of overset.
I've had an old WM desetter for many years. Rarely use it.  Like to use my hand setter with the dial to check the set in my blades before sharpening.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

fluidpowerpro

Ok, I tried what you suggested. I used a piece of broken blade and bent one tooth so it was way overset. I then put it in the de-setter, snugged up the rollers and passed it through 1 time.

I didn't measure. As a visual, I used a small machinist square held up to the blade. In the one picture you can see that it's overset.
In the other picture you can see that the tooth has been bent back.
Sorry, I know the pictures are at slightly different angles. It's hard to hold the phone and square at the same time. Either way, I think you can still see the difference.

I know using the square is not precise, but I have found this method to work well to spot irregular teeth.
I think as a rule of thumb, the set should be about 1/2 the blade thickness, so if you hold the square right, I can gauge the set to see if it's about 1/2 the material thickness.

* I would welcome any comments about using this method.

Change is hard....

terrifictimbersllc

It's a very interesting method. Might also work well to identify a bad tooth while the blade is still on the bandsaw.

Thank You Sponsors!