iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pete's moving along

Started by Peter Drouin, August 12, 2023, 07:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

That's the thing, Make a meal add the salt from this, and that now your over the top. :D
With the BP and sugar problems I have, I can't eat anything.
I'm always hungry. ::)

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 19, 2023, 09:38:56 PM
Peter, I understand your pain and loneliness. I lost Karen six years ago and it never goes away but we just have to get up in the morning and do the best we can. Hang in there and keep in touch, we are in your corner.

Yes when you're with someone for 40 years you miss them a lot
I went out with some ladies, All they want to know is how big is your wallet. ::) ::) :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

Guys, what a tribute to those women you still miss.  you were blessed to have them.  It is certainly OK to wish they were still here.  Doc.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

life has more good than bad. Hang in there Peter there is always sunshine ahead!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

I try not to take in anymore salt if I can help it.
It's super hard 
But at my last Dr appointment my BP was way down.
It's tough you can't eat much but fresh stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

I just don't have a salt shaker. And don't buy salted nuts, chips, etc. etc. 
Food has a taste all its own without salt. Friend who salts everything can only taste the salt. If that is the taste he likes, okay with me. But I prefer more variety. 

BP three days ago was 124/62 at Dr. office. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I do not add salt to anything that I eat, at home or at a restaurant.  Not even Watermelon.

My Sister and her husband eat with a fork in one hand and the salt shaker in the other.  Also everything gets salted before they taste anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2023, 07:31:15 PM

My Sister and her husband eat with a fork in one hand and the salt shaker in the other.   
I've seen people do that. 
They don't even taste it first. They add salt first. 
I don't salt much of the food I eat. She may put salt in while cooking. 
But I do enjoy chips.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

I hate unsalted French fries.

Okay, hate might have been a Lil strong. :D

Ianab

A lot of that is the taste we were bought up with. If that was heavily salted, that's what you expect to taste, and a little salt does tend to bring out the flavour in many foods. I use very little salt in my cooking, except when it's really needed (bread for instance does needs a little). But I lean more into the spices, garlic, chilli etc to give meals some flavour. Home made fries in the air fryer come out good with a little oil and a dusting of herbs / spice, and light on the salt. 

I figure it's Excessive salt like MM mentions that's the problem. Doc wants you on a "low" salt diet, not a "No" salt one.  

Local guidelines are no more than 5g of salt a day (~2,000 mg Sodium). It's when you go over that amount that you start risking high blood pressure etc. That's about a teaspoon of salt. It's likely you will get that in your normal diet if you eat any processed foods. A pack of potato chips in the cupboard says 780 mg Sodium in the bag, so scoff a couple of those, and that's most of your day's allowance  ::)  A glass of diet cola ~10 mg, so no salt worries from a couple of them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

some of the ol-timers would go round the plate 3 times with salt before they ever tasted it.  some of it is iodized so you get your daily dose you get some of that as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

If we happen to eat out , which happens very little. 
I notice how salty the food is in most cases.
I'm into the water hard right after.
This spring I started drinking lots more water and I notice it when I don't .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Reminds me of a stern "talking-from" my grandfather back when I was prolly 10 or 11 years old (1950).. sitting at his table and salting down my tomato slices on my plate. The message about that much salt not good for me was very clear and have remembered it since (about 75 years now). 
   That was back in the day when salt pills were in dispensers around the industry plants, maybe to encourage drinking more water to keep hydrated. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Getting closer to getting the meds right, but I still have no feeling in the top half of my R-hand, Going on Friday for a heart MRI I think it's called
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

I hope they get your health sorted out my friend. 

Peter Drouin

Doing good now, my hand works, still feels like it is a sleep I can saw lumber ok. Now I have to work on my diet. And I hate to cook. :D But I am getting better not burning everything. ;D
I know low heat, but, I'm impatient. :D
Been looking for a good woman to cook for me and other stuff ;)
All I found were airheads or Gold diggers. ::) :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sawguy21

:D A gold digger would be sorely disappointed with me. I have a salt shaker that probably Karen last filled and she has been gone over 6 years. I have never liked it but my sister is like thecfarms, she generously salts everything. She is or at least was a heavy smoker so probably couldn't taste her food.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 21, 2023, 08:12:21 PM
 . I have never liked it but my sister is like thecfarms, she generously salts everything.   
I don't use much salt. Don't even salt my eggs. 
But fries and potatoes need some, steak too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Forget that low heat cooking and get yourself a good steel wok!. Season it like cast iron. Cook everything at max flame. Most stir fry cooks in minutes.

Throw in a thin sliced piece of tough beef or cube a pork chop or chicken breast or a handful of shrimp and flash fry it, set that aside, thin slice some fresh veggies (Carrots, onions, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, etc) and fry in a couple tablespoons of oil for a few minutes, add the meat/chicken/shrimp, season with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. Stir a teaspoon of corn starch in a cup of water and add and stir all over high heat. Takes less than 10 minutes for all. Serve over rice or noodles or such.

Or make a sweet and sour with equal amounts of sugar and vinegar cook your veggies in that 4-5 minutes, add pineapple or cherries or such with a handful of mixed nuts. Dried cranberries work well with most stir fries. Serve over rice.

Fried rice is another quick meal.

I started using my wok in Africa on a solo assignment and loved it for quick simple meals using readily available local items.

Clean up of the wok is real fast and easy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

Peter, another good option for a bachelor is a crockpot. Put something in before you head out for work and it's ready when you're done. Glad to hear you're doing better and still getting after it.

Peter Drouin

WV Sawmiller that's too much to get at the store  :D :D But fast yes! I can do 2 or 3 things in the mix. Maybe Ann has one ;)

newwoodguy78
I think Ann has one. Then I will be eating the same thing for 2 to 3 days right? But that is OK  :D Maybe she has a small one. I'll have to look and see.
Thank you guys for the ideas. I should have asked a long time ago. :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I'm not saying use all at once. Yes 1-2 items is fine like Beef and onions or shrimp with Carrots and peppers w/chicken. etc. Mix it up with what is in season or readily available. Take a half lb of tough round steak and slice it 1/8" thick and sear and mix with veggies and it is a good quick meal. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

The crock pot or slow cooker is a single guys best friend, I wouldn't be without mine. I am limited as a cook but kinda proud of my chili, stew is another meal that lends itself to this method. Have a good feed then put the leftovers packaged in individual portions in the freezer for another time. I am still trying to make a good soup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

For a good soup or stew, the meat should be seared a bit in the pot with some butter first. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

If you start using the crockpot then get yourself some liners at walmart or the the grocery store. Sure makes cleaning that thing a breeze.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

I tried the crockpot thing today. Chicken, onions, and potatoes, with chicken broth. Too many potatoes I think. :D
Tasted like shttt. But I ate it, Have some leftovers mostly potatoes. :D More chicken next time. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!