iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with log tongs

Started by Nealm66, September 09, 2023, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nealm66

I'm looking for some log tongs that will pick up 8' x 32-36" ( middle of the log roughly) diameter logs. I've been stacking up my long butts off of my logging jobs to saw up this winter and afraid it will be to muddy for my tractor but I have a truck with a knuckle boom crane that I believe I can move the logs around with if I can find some good tongs. I see some decent looking 36" tongs on a google search but not sure if they would get a good bite on a n actual 36" log. Anyone have any suggestions?

WV Sawmiller

Have you looked at the ones sold by LogRite? Sponsor on the left. I saw them at the Paul Bunyan show and they looked real good to me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

I have a pair I got off eBay years ago. I pick up some big stuff with it. It Tops out around 40". I picked up a cheap smaller set at auction and twisted them up a little. Mainly got them for small stuff because the bigger ones won't grab smaller than about 12". I'd look at Logrite for a quality pair. Will your truck crane be able to lift that much weight? Probably in the 4,000# range if you are moving 36" stuff.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I do not see where LOGRITE lists the size tongs that you need.

There is a huge difference between skidding tongs: Skidding LINK

and lifting tongs:  Lifting LINK

I would not consider any less capacity nor quality than the above.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nealm66

Ya, my crane will lift. I'm wondering if maybe just using straps on the big logs and maybe using the tongs to roll the logs over the straps to get them under. 

Magicman

That certainly would be much cheaper.  Good high quality tongs are $$$.  Yikes !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nealm66

My log weight calculator says an 8' coastal Douglas fir 32 small end, 48 large end, is 2980#'s. So not too bad. I wonder how realistic the 3000# weight rating is on those china built ones I see on google search 

Magicman

There is much more wrong with those than the weight rating.

Stephen1

Lifting tongs are far different than skidding tongs. I would use straps to lift the logs. far safer. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nealm66

Ok. Really appreciate the advice. Thanks all. Dang though. Would sure save a lot of time picking them with a set of tongs vs strapping them. I might try the 32" heavy duty set from Home Depot for the smaller ones. If nothing else, should work for rolling them around. Will be mid October before I get done logging and start milling but I'll give some feedback for any interested

Magicman

If you were closer I would give you one for free.

It is very easy to return stuff to HD if it does not work out.

charles mann

I took 2 logrite cant hook replacement mega hooks, a swivel rated at 7000lbs each and 2 crosby 1/2" grab hooks and attached the swivels and hooks to the mega hooks. I use a 6' length of 3/8" chain to connect the, now skidding/lifting hooks, and so far, the heaviest iv dead lifted with the hooks is about 5000 lbs and i use 1 hook to rotate/flip those 5000lb ish logs on my mill. 

The 6' chain allows me to grab logs, well, around 5.5' if the need arrises. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

beenthere

charles
Have a pic or two to show us of that combo? We like pics.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

charles mann

Quote from: beenthere on September 10, 2023, 10:24:18 AM
charles
Have a pic or two to show us of that combo? We like pics.  8)
Actually, i dont for some reason. I do have vids of them in use, but this site isnt vid friendly unless its using youtube and i have not been able to do video editing bc my mac is to old and the free apple vid editing software isnt compatible with my 12 yr old laptop and i am far to blind and ignorant to try to figure it out on my phone, and my temper being what it is, my 12 yr old ipad ended up looking like taco after it decided to not cooperate one night. 

Only thing close to it would be the magic hook, only with a swivel instead of just a grab hook. 
Temple, Tx

WV Sawmiller

I'd still call LogRite. They make log arches with lifting tongs. I bet they sell the tongs as replacement parts and if you ask they may be able to sell you just the lifting tongs they use. They are super nice folks to deal with.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

What I call cheap tongs are the one that have be set by bumping with a hammer while applying lift.  The good ones can be opened when dropped on a log, immediately bite into the wood when lift is applied-all from the operators seat.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nealm66

I think even the cheap ones would be quicker than strapping everything. I'm hoping the ground has enough rock in it to just use the tractor on one job but definitely the job I'm on will be too soft but I should be able to stage it with the crane truck feeding the mill with a helper. Will be interesting for sure 

Stephen1

When I built my log cabin 20 years ago I was able to purchase a set of logging tong from the west coast of Canada. They had a CSA plate on them making them legal to lift over head with. About a year I went back for a larger size and was told they can no longer make and sell them under the CSA stamp as being safe. I am to sure they what your Standards are in the USA. I suspect if you're only lifting to the height of your mill it is safe enough, but to unload a logging truck with them would be a concern. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Blueknife

Quote from: Nealm66 on September 09, 2023, 05:04:40 PM
Ok. Really appreciate the advice. Thanks all. Dang though. Would sure save a lot of time picking them with a set of tongs vs strapping them.
It would. Sure suck though if it failed while you had the log hanging over your mill. You could use a log dog to lift one end of the log so you could get the choker under it. Pick a bunch of logs that way and shove some dunnage underneath.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 10, 2023, 04:28:52 PM
What I call cheap tongs are the one that have be set by bumping with a hammer while applying lift.  The good ones can be opened when dropped on a log, immediately bite into the wood when lift is applied-all from the operators seat.  
Ditto on that. I bought tongs that wouldn't open when descending on a log so I welded a stop to keep them from closing too much. Now they work perfectly fine. Bought them through Amazon and left a review that ended with "don't buy these unless you can weld". 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nealm66

It would definitely suck to have a log drop on my mill. Years ago I chased on a landing with a cable loader with tongs. He'd get that thing swinging and throw the tongs out a ways and grab logs sometimes. 

beenthere

Quote Sure suck though if it failed while you had the log hanging over your mill.

Not a good plan to load your mill that way. 

Use either forks or a log deck to set logs on so they can be rolled onto the mill. 

Tongs shouldn't be trusted to keep a grip on a log. More of an issue than the log tongs failing. Always plan for tongs to fail, as with anything suspended in the air, be it a car jack, a loader or boom, or whatever. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

My opinion is that I would trust a strap but not tongs.

Actually I may even trust end tongs more than logging tongs but I have had them to tear out.  This one is 20'.

My end tongs are made from broken logging tongs and are also very useful for moving and adjusting logs at the sawmill.

Erik A

I picked up these, they looked decent and was local. I picked up logs that i had to drag one end because of the tractor limitation 2800# lift. I dont think they have bent any and the tips have not deformed at all!

https://www.baileysonline.com/timber-tuff-swivel-grab-log-skidding-tongs-32-with-rotating-teeth.html

Not quite the size you want but something to look at

When rolling a big log on the saw, i will use a strap and cinch it up on the bottom so when i lift the strap it turns the log.

charles mann

As magic man's pic show ls tongs in the ends of the log, that is how i load my logs onto my mill. BUT!!!, i have had them tear out of the log, esp logs that have been dead for a while. 
Temple, Tx

Nealm66

postville

Consider 2 hooks with chains. Hammer hook in to each end , lift with chains. You won't have to worry about balance point.
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

slider

Don't be afraid of logright good quality in all they sell.
al glenn

charles mann

Quote from: postville on September 20, 2023, 09:26:42 AM
Consider 2 hooks with chains. Hammer hook in to each end , lift with chains. You won't have to worry about balance point.
You mean like what magicman posted
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!