iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New job site, same old pics. Oh well, its what I got.

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, September 10, 2023, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Started a new job about a week or so ago.   Its a side hill cut.   Timbers not marked, which I hate cause I have to throw a tape to the trees that are iffy, but I'm to cut everything 14in. DBH and up.
  So its pretty much a clear cut.  

Rough ground here.   I have to cross a swampy area that will never dry out, then its up the hill. Whole job is pretty much a side hill cut.   But its not to steep.     Im putting slabs in the ruts every day trying to stay on top the mud.

Some decent red oak. Nothing to write home about but its work and there's plenty of it.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Walnut Beast

WhitePineJunky

mudfarmer

Do you know if they are trying to force a specific type of regeneration? Sounds steep ish so I guess it is not getting fully cleared when you are done but you said basically clear cut so just wondering. "None of my/your business" or no response is perfectly good answer  ;D

B.C.C. Lapp

WhitePineJunky  Ill be fooling around on this hill till mid Oct. Maybe even late Oct.

Mudfarmer I don't think there really is a "plan" for this.   Its pretty much a take everything that can go over the mill cut and the land owner wanted every penny he could make. ::)   I don't always agree with what I'm paid to do but it ain't up to me and truth is there is more harvest ready timber in Pa now than there was 50 years ago.    So I just log and don't think to much. :D

mudfarmer

Thanks, I got ya, a man's gotta eat 👍 and this wouldn't be my login if there hadn't been a little slop  :-X

barbender

Not directed at you B.C.C., but I've always disliked those diameter limit, "leave room for the little ones to grow" type of cuts. It just encourages trash to grow. I say that having done some of them, too🤷
Too many irons in the fire

mudfarmer

BB I looked at a white pine plantation today that needs an @BargeMonkey haircut 🤣

BargeMonkey

It's actually a medical condition known as "Buncher blindness". I made the joke a while ago, DEC said I wasn't allowed to own a hotsaw. Not much left when everyone's high-graded everything for years, no diff than Maine down here soon, all mechanical and 5 tier trailers, it's coming.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: barbender on September 10, 2023, 08:47:27 PM
Not directed at you B.C.C., but I've always disliked those diameter limit, "leave room for the little ones to grow" type of cuts. It just encourages trash to grow. I say that having done some of them, too🤷
I could not agree more barbender.    This cut will result in a hillside covered in low grade red maple and quaking aspen.   This job is a landowner straight to mill situation with no consulting forester involved.  Common here in Pa but sometimes doesn't result in what we would call the best cut for the future of the timber tract.
But having said that I will also tell you that Ive done jobs like this on the same property two and even three times so some tracts do come back strong.  But usually it ain't so good.

Thank You Sponsors!