Sponsors:

Cutting a circle

Started by kkcomp, November 20, 2023, 06:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Does this count?

Side of the stump.

Top of the same stump.  

The whole stump is in the background and you can see the diagonal cut on the left side.  The tree splinted off and fell toward where the log is and no one was killed nor injured.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DHansen

I had been using the Husqvarna version of the 2 in 1 file system and was happy with it.  But I also have several Husqvarna roller guides for different chain configurations that I was not using very much.  With the responses in this thread about the roller guide I decided to do some comparisons.   So, I switched to using just the roller guide for a few days on a 32" Oregon 75LPX Chisel chain. I think using the roller guide system makes it easier to keep and or correct the proper angle on the cutters and the horizontal or 10° up angle.  The guide is 25°, 10°.   Previously I had been sharpening this chain with the 2 in 1.  It would drift left in long deep cuts.  The roller guide eliminated this issue for me.  So, this tells me I need to practice more and pay more attention to how I am filing when I use the 2 in 1.  I think my issues were with the right-hand cutters.   

beenthere

DHansen
I concur with your observation and results. Roller guide much better and I like it because I can see better what is happening.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

I think I've tried them all and the roller guide works best for me also. I have a chain on my 372 that the teeth were obviously shorter on one side and still are but after using roller guide it cuts fast and straight which tells me length makes little difference as long as they are sharp and dogs are cut down the correct height for the tooth.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Arcticmiller

I have had plenty of troubles with this off and on over the years. I can get a couple hand sharpenings in before things sometimes start getting wild. My dad on the other hand can sharpen a chain its whole life and that thing cuts like a laser every time...

I carry a couple extra chains and files, usually I can touch up the chain 2-3 times when cutting before things get weird. So, what I started doing was carrying 2-3 spares and if I'm truck based that day I have one of these in the saw box-I actually have the stihl version that looks basically identical: https://americanforestry.com/products/oregon-557849-professional-bar-mount-filing-guide?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvWrBhC0ARIsAO4E6f9zkTjvPgn3Yd9aLlSCS9Kv9piQziPKzBjtMTUDj1CGK6GXPrOQGncaAlCgEALw_wcB

If I'm further out in the woods I just take the extra chains and files.

Now I have an Oregon 620 grinder and it makes it easy to lightly touch up the chains resetting all the angles. Learning to use that tool well did take awhile though til I began understanding what all the adjustments did. The side angle adjustment was the worst for me to figure out, but now that it's dialed, man it's like throwing on a new chain every time. It's a big investment, but if it makes cutting more efficient and fun it's worth it if a guy can swing the purchase.

Throwing fat chips is way more fun than powder, and it's easier on the saw too!

Thank You Sponsors!