iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The word is that we got over 5" of rain last night.   :o
Quote from: Resonator on January 09, 2024, 11:08:18 AMUm... is anyone sawing any lumber? ???
Yes, I sawed today.

I started my New Sawing Year with this 23" top X 16' Cypress log.

16' X 2X8's.

Various beams & timbers.  Total scaled, 1555 bf.  There were two other whacks that I did not picture nor scale yet.

I'll be back at 7 tomorrow morning and hopefully we will finish this job Thursday.  We have rain Friday and 14° weather predicted for next week, so I would rather warm the fire.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scogar

I am sawing when weather cooperates. Here's a 10 foot length of SYP...started out at 26 in. And squared it to 20x20. Cutting 40-1X10s (of course with some later trimmed to eliminate wane)

Southside

3" here and had a tornado warning came across the phone earlier, ironically when it was calm out.  I was closing up birds thinking - oh this is great.  As far as accents go - Maine has quite the variety.  You go Down East and one would swear they have marbles in their mouth, far north and it's Franglaise, half Canadian-French, half English, Allagash however has the most unique accent of all.  The town is 30 or so miles west of Ft Kent, but you would never know it with the "twang" a native "Moosetowner" has, it's ummm... interesting.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I prefer the cold to the nasty ice storms that many of you get in milder areas.

I have a couple thousand feet of pine I'd like to saw tomorrow. The high should be around 20°. I think it is good sawing weather, aside from getting machines started and warmed up. Softwoods saw better frozen, down to the point around 0° where sawdust starts to freeze to the blade😁
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

I had foot surgery last month.  Just before that, I removed the loader and backhoe subframes off of my Mahindra so I could take it to the local dealer for a clutch R&R while I was recuperating. 

Hopefully I will get in back in a few days.
I did manage to saw a ERC bar for my log supplier's new house.   

It will go into the pool table room as a narrow bar.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

I went into my gallery and rotated the photo upright, but how do I save it like that?  It keeps coming out on it's side.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

You might have to delete the photo in the post, and re add the edited one from your gallery, Brandi. I'm not sure- a tech whiz I ain't ☺

TimW

I deleted the photo from the post, then rotated it 90 degrees, then put it in the post again and it came out back on it's side.  I am missing something after I rotate it, but can't find what that is.

alecs

When I first moved to Massachusetts in the 1990s, I was so fascinated by the accent.  I made up my own linguistic theory about Rs, though.  It's common knowledge that Rs are like energy- they cannot be created nor destroyed.  They just move from one word to another.  So every time someone pahks the cah in Hahvahd Yahd, those displaced Rs reappear in other words.  For example, I worked with a guy whose wife was introduced to me as Linder.  (Linda)  And if you multiply a rectangle's base and height, you get the airier. (area).  I think you get the idear.

Local trivia knowledge - Harvard Yard is surrounded by a tall wrought iron fence with pedestrian-only gates.  Yuh cahn't even drive yeh cah in theyah, nevahmind pahk it. 

Re: Sawing in 2024- nothing yet.  I was thinking about an unusual sawing project but I decided against it.  I made some slide out drawers to fit inside a cabinet.  I failed to account for the drawer slides so my drawers were a little too wide.  Well, deep actually, because the drawers are going to be mounted sideways.  Anyway, I got the drawers (like miniature bookshelves in shape) all built and realized they were too deep.  How to make them the right depth without taking them all apart?  I was thinking I could mount them to the sawmill bed and slice the fronts off of them.  In the end I redesigned the mounting system to avoid the need to do that.  Has anyone got any good stories of sawing things other than logs on their mills?

See picture, the miniature bookshelf was 6" deep but needed to be 5.5".  I thought I might be able to just sneak past all the finish nails that hold the shelves in.... probably a bad idea!

barbender

Brandi- sorry, I'm not much help with this stuff. Someone else more adept will be along🙂

alecs, I think your theory on r's is spot on. I notice speakers of British English do the same. "Presenters" on the BBC sounded a little silly saying things like, " it was fah, fah, out on the peninsular"🤷

Ianab

Quote from: Bindian on January 09, 2024, 11:14:33 PM
I deleted the photo from the post, then rotated it 90 degrees, then put it in the post again and it came out back on it's side.  I am missing something after I rotate it, but can't find what that is.

Keep the photo you have, but go back into your gallery and use the "Rotate" function there. Then go back and refresh your view of the post, and it should have changed.

There are some weird things that seem to get added into the .jpeg info by modern cameras, where a picture is tagged with portrait  / landscape as it's taken. Then different software may or may not act on that info, and may or may not rotate the picture automatically. But if you get the picture looking right in the gallery, it should look right in the post.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Two (of the engine/front wheels) are right, and one is on its side. Selection may be the problem. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TimW

Quote from: Ianab on January 10, 2024, 12:29:21 AM
Quote from: Bindian on January 09, 2024, 11:14:33 PM

Keep the photo you have, but go back into your gallery and use the "Rotate" function there. Then go back and refresh your view of the post, and it should have changed.

There are some weird things that seem to get added into the .jpeg info by modern cameras, where a picture is tagged with portrait  / landscape as it's taken. Then different software may or may not act on that info, and may or may not rotate the picture automatically. But if you get the picture looking right in the gallery, it should look right in the post.
That worked, Ianab!  Thanks!

olcowhand

Quote from: Resonator on January 09, 2024, 11:08:18 AMUm... is anyone sawing any lumber?
Sorry @Resonator I didn't mean to start a whole new "Meandering" on this thread related to the pronunciation (or lack thereof...) of the letter "R". I just didn't see anything positive that could have resulted in the fact that we started with a mis-spelled word, then immediately went into a discussion about our wives. My bride sometimes reads these posts, and I didn't want to answer any questions about how that transpired.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on January 09, 2024, 10:47:32 PMI did manage to saw a ERC bar for my log supplier's new house. 
That is an awesome bar top, and you hit the mark sawing it.   thumbs-up

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: olcowhand on January 10, 2024, 07:32:54 AMI didn't mean to start a whole new "Meandering" on this thread related to the pronunciation (or lack thereof...) of the letter "R".
But you can't leave the R out of lumber, just don't work.  There is no R in food and we did not even get there yet. 

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2024, 07:39:02 AM
Quote from: olcowhand on January 10, 2024, 07:32:54 AMI didn't mean to start a whole new "Meandering" on this thread related to the pronunciation (or lack thereof...) of the letter "R".
But you can't leave the R out of lumber, just don't work.  There is no R in food and we did not even get there yet.

Well, Lynn- the new thread is young, and I'm sure we'll get around to all that other stuff. I was just hoping to steer the discussion into a different tack. Sort of like putting a little "English" on the ball......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Resonator

No worries, just good to see some lumber being sawn to keep those not sawing inspired. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Back to sawing Cypress this morning:

A very nice Cypress, and how 'bout by tailgunner?  He stands 6' 7".   :o

I think that this one has a problem.   ;D

And it did.

Ready to saw a whack of 2X6's.  I sawed forty  1 9/16" X 6"from this log.

1117 bf of 2X4's & 2X6's.

Misc 8' and 10' lumber that I have not scaled yet.

We had to stop at noon today but tomorrow should be a full day.  I have seven 16'  logs left and will be sawing 2X8's, 4X4's and random width 1".   

WV Sawmiller

No pictures because I lost my camera. (I later remembered it was in my hunting gear I had put away on 31 December when our deer season ended so all is well.) I dragged down one previously bucked 12' poplar log. It was about 24" in diameter SED and I cut 268 bf of lumber from it. All 2X4s (Actually I saved 3-2X2s) and 1X12's. I should have cut more 4/4 and less 2X4s.

My hydraulics were very slow and weak to start with. I had to use the FEL to help load the log and had to turn it by hand the first time. As it got smaller the hydraulics seemed to work okay plus the whole engine and hydraulic oil warmed up. It was actually a real nice day out there. The weather was cool but there was some sun. The ground is still muddy and it was scary dragging the log down but I kept it pointed straight and it did not try to roll away on the steep hillside.

I stacked and stickered the 2X4s and took the 1X12's to the barn and put most of them up today so I can use a few more bins I built out there last week. (Did you know Siding goes up real fast when it is 12" wide?) I see I will still have to cut another log to have enough sheeting to make 2 doors. One is 48" and the other is about 45". I only have one set of hinges now so I'll make one frame and partially sheet it and worry about the other one later.

I don't know what is up with my hydraulics but I see did not replace a gallon of the hydraulic fluid yet for winterization as I am supposed to so I will try that first. They worked but slow and weak and killed the engine at first and I had to jump it off so I may be looking at a battery in the not too distant future.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I used to have my belt slip on the hydro pump when cold.  tightened that up, and then it shredded next time it was cold.  now I put an engine block mag. heater on the tank hours before I saw, and everything works great.  Katz.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

No belts on the WM system that I can find so that's not going to fix my problem. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

the belt is the evidence that you need to warm the fluid if it is cold.  that is what I assume killed your engine and made it run slow. the cold hydraulic oil.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I use the bigger one on the hydraulic tank. even if on overnight, the tank just feels warm to touch.  runs like summer.  be sure and remove it before milling legs off a bench, especially if they have wedged through tenons!   :snowball:   :D :D :D

Magicman

My Cypress job is out of the Schedule Book and into the Invoice Book.   :)

My tailgunner bringing the last two 16' logs.  All of the lumber is dead stacked and will be moved to an open shed for stickering. 

4118 bf sawed in 2½ days.  Certainly not a record but not too shabby with only one tailgunner.

I parked the sawmill at home and will tighten the drive belt and replace a LubeMizer check valve before I saw again, which will not be next week with 14° forecast for a couple of days....Yikes !!!

Thank You Sponsors!