iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Just knots.  Ignore them and saw the log.  Get whatever the log has to give and move on to the next log. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Thanks Lynn!  That was my plan.  Saws'em and leave'em.  No wait,.... I gotta stack them.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

I visited a repeat customer 13 miles away today and sawed 2263 by of Poplar and RO for him. It was all full thickness framing lumber including some 3X6, 4X8]s, 6X6 posts, and lots of 2X4, 2X6, 2X8 and 2X10s. We were briefly interrupted by a rain storm around 3:00 pm I took some before pictures of logs scattered all over the lot but the lumber was scattered at several places as it was cut so I did not get an after pictures.  They say they will have me back after the concrete work is done on the footers for the 2 cabins they are building there on the Greenbrier River.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Over 2Mbf says that you had a good day.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NewYankeeSawmill

Got into a walnut tree today!

And used a scrap piece to try making some 'cookies'. I guess they sell...

Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Wlmedley

I've got a fellow wanting me to cut enough poplar boards to cover a 16'x60' ceiling and he wants them 6" wide and 8' long.I quoted $1.00 a bf and really didn't care if I got the job or not but he came up and looked at a stack of poplar sheeting I have in the shed and seemed to be impressed so he is going to buy all I already have for another project he has going.I have around 300bf.The ceiling boards he wants cut 3/4" thick.Was hoping for 1" because bf goes down from 960 to 720 with the same amount of cutting and handling but I guess that's the breaks.I've got a large,straight poplar tree by the barn I've been planning to cut anyway so I guess this will be a good use for it.240 boards is a big job for my little operation.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

KenMac

Most everyone, including me, charge for 1" fo anything 1' and down. Nobody has ever complained about this practice. Just saying.....
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Kent. Anything under 1" I sell by the square foot at same price as bf. I like cutting 3/4 and half inch sheeting now. I have have one customer who gets 3/8" boards for crafts. Same price as 1". My sawing rate is same way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I would be concerned with movement in 3/4" green poplar. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dan R

Cut OG 2x6s and 2nd growth 2 1/2 x8s Thank goodness for the old JCB to load with. 

Dan R

More photos

barbender

I'll cut 1/16" thick if the customer wants it, but it will be charged at the 1" rate.
Too many irons in the fire

olcowhand

I also charge full BF price for 3/4"
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

GAB

Quote from: barbender on May 27, 2024, 01:14:50 AMI'll cut 1/16" thick if the customer wants it, but it will be charged at the 1" rate.
Sawing 1/16" thick with a 1/8" kerf means you are making sawdust as 2/3rds of the log ends up as sawdust.

I've sawed 5/32" and 5/16" cherry for making shaker boxes.  It is slow going.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

sawing by the hour I get the same and if I can set up a cant, it really does go fast.  I do a bunch of 5/16th for myself for the engraver.  I also test the mill set up and blades doing a skim cut.  fun to hold a slice up to the sun and look through it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I realize that GAB😊 I've never actually sawn 1/16" thick, I'm just putting it out there as a theoretical situation. And if a customer wanted me to, I would. Just so long as I am being paid for the work the mill is doing.

Resonator

Might get a bit tedious edging those 1/16" boards... but sure would bet they'd dry on stickers quick. :thumbsup:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Actually you can edge them with a shop knife and a straight edge. ffcheesy
 BUT, you had better get them stickered and tied down fast because you can watch them cup as you stand there thinking about it. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

1/4-inch maple dries in 4 days just in my airconditioned shop.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I was picturing a crafter that wanted to make a display of wooden potato chips😁

Machinebuilder

I've been slowly working on my log pile. mostly Red oaks, a decent ash.

Today I cut up this log

American Hophornbeam, 15" small end it puts the little one I cut a while back to shame.
If you haven't ever worked on one I learned a couple things
they are not easy to cut down, the hinges do not want to break.
on the mill its not easy, I had bowed boards off my cant 90degrees apart

Opening cut

Just a little stress, both ends are up about 1/2"

I did have some wavy cuts, and then the next would be straight :huh?

I got 9 boards 6/4 x 6-8"

I have some 739 blades coming, I thought I would try them instead of the 4 degree I have been using.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Machinebuilder

I think I have an idea on my wavy cuts.

a little reminder from the LT50 thread.

I had heard the drive belt moaning on a couple cuts.
My mill is an Older LT15 with the 15hp Kohler and 1 drive belt. When I get into a wide cut it usually just slows the engine down, until I slow my feed down.
With the hophornbeam being a tough wood, maybe it started to slip the drive belt.

My next log up is the 2nd log from the same tree. I will check my drive belt tension and replace the blade before I start it.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Magicman

A bit of "not so normal" sawing today.  A friend called last night asking if I could saw a few Cedar logs for him.  Yup, I am set up in my front yard so bring them on:

IMG_5826.JPG
He failed to mention that he had this 2' Cherry block that he wanted to slab.  He had already found out that his chainsawing skill were not good enough, so we built a "nest" on the sawmill and loaded it.

IMG_5827.JPG
The fact is that it worked very well and we slabbed it 2" live edge.  It is seen below in the front of the trailer.
IMG_5828.JPG
Oh my, what are we gonna do?

IMG_5829.JPG
We sorta manhandled it between the Oak logs and the sawmill, and got-er-done.

IMG_5830.JPG
It was mostly sawn 2" live edge.

So he asked how much and I was already prepared for that question.  I said give me $20 for my blade and put whatever he thought was fair in his Church's collection plate Sunday Morning in Honor of a Mutual Friend.  He understood and we shared a quite moment together.

So now it was on to sawing the largest (16') of the 3 logs that were staged at the sawmill.
IMG_5831.JPG
Full dimension 4X4, 2X4, & 2X2.  Weather permitting, I will saw the 12' Cherrybark Oak log tomorrow.  It's tough handling that heavy stuff my myself 'cause it's heavy !!  This is all for my deck/porch railing.

IMG_5832.JPG
And then there were 2.  The Post Oak on the right will become 2" bridge decking for the farm.

WV Sawmiller

Whatcha using the 2X2s for?
Howard Green

Magicman

This is all for my porch railing, etc.  They will be the balusters.

Thank You Sponsors!