iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather 2024

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

No snow here and haven't had any this winter.Just cloudy ,cold and damp almost every day.Kind of depressing and can't make myself go outside and do much of anything but spring will be here before you know it.The weeks seem to go by pretty fast the older I get.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

thecfarm

I just did the driveway. I like to do it during daylight.
There is no more then 6 inches of snow.
But it is still snowing. Snow showers until 7 tonight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Wlmedley on January 07, 2024, 04:49:18 PM
No snow here and haven’t had any this winter.Just cloudy ,cold and damp almost every day.Kind of depressing and can’t make myself go outside and do much of anything but spring will be here before you know it.The weeks seem to go by pretty fast the older I get.
im a rookie by this forums standards but I am friends with a few old fellas, one said “I’m so old Christmas comes two times a year” . I laughed even myself can sense that can only imagine at his age(72)

Anyway, the cold has been good to me, frozen ground.

In the summer you got lots of biting insects and ticks are big here, only a tiny window maybe 2 weeks fall then spring of perfect weather to cut in 4 weeks total a year, the rest is annoying or painful imo 

twar

Below 0°F again this morning. "Warmer" days later in the week. When the sky is clear, there's no wind and the ground is covered with snow, well, it gets cold.

SwampDonkey

16F here this morning and nary a snow flake. Too cold and dry for snow to be significant. When it snows we get hardly anything anymore. I can walk anywhere here and the snow doesn't even cover the toe of my boots. The deer are hanging around longer here, no snow to drive them south. Seen one deer track yesterday. There's hardly a deer to begin with. The bears are all in bed though. The woods is full of coyote and rabbit tracks. Been a porcupine around my winter shelter, he has a nice packed down path to the wood pile. :D Rain in store for Wednesday. ;D

Like Wlmedley said, clouds, clouds clouds, hardly a sunny day. Usually Dec-February is mostly sunny and cold, like closer to 0F cold. And normally when it warms up to the 20'sF  a big snow storm comes through. :D

As you can see from the data the warmer days have the most snow in a storm. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

12" here. I can see the snow coming down  :D And I don't care, the mill is put away for the winter. I might plow today--maybe not  ;D
I do have to get some firewood out for next year's winter, Will see. ;)
Maybe with the rain coming, I won't have to plow. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodroe

Temp needle hardly moved in two days. 10*, might have gotten to 15 yesterday. Been poking the wood to the stove(s).
Nice snow, dry and dense, about 6" total. Driest snow
we've seen here in a long time. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

WhitePineJunky

The snow never amounted to much, maybe 4 inches. Blew pretty hard though

A new weather alert for Wednesday says 8c and buckets of rain

woodroe

9* this AM . Still poking the wood to it.
This next round looks to be rough sledding.
8 -12" snow with big wind finishing in rain.
Batten down the hatches. Gas up the gennys.

doc henderson

wind at 22 with gusts to 26 mph overnight with snow.  many highways closed overnight due to visibility and snow.  half-staff at hospital essential worker.  One ambulance crew stuck in Wichita after transferring last PM.  Many east of here without power.  A nice pretty snow. 

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Was 12F here this morning, 16F now. Wind from the NW, but light. Sunny for a change, but clouds moving in from the south.

Mentioned the weasel in the chicken coup the other day. Saw one today in my travels, crossing the road with a mouse in his mouth. ;D

The woods up here is full of mice. Was walking along the road a couple weeks ago when the dead grass was all bare without snow. Happened to step off the road into the dead grass in one spot and there were at least 4 mice running out of that into the woods. Lots for the weasels. ;D

Willie's got his wood stove going these days in the frigid cold. Darn cold on a heat pump system and he's only got a trailer. That heat pump is only 4 years old, so it's not like it's 15 years old and out dated.  I see real world evidence every day that debunks their praise. :D  Good to -25C? You wish!!

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Snowed a bunch here blowing hard. Had to drive the tractor to the office. Calving season has started.

Old Greenhorn

We were supposed to get a little snow before the heavy rain started. About an hour ago it started to snow like mad and we already have a fresh inch on the ground and car accidents all over the place (PD and FD are running ragged). I have to go to town for needed supplies, but I may wait just a little bit here. I don't think DOT saw this one coming in the way it has. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

Currently snow sticking at the summit with chain controls. Looks like snow/rain mix at my property (5,800'). Snow level to drop down to 2,500'-3,000' by this afternoon with 6" accumulation.

Tomorrow night the big storm to dump ~18" on my cabin. Guessing that will bring the total up to 2 or 3 feet? I'm on a weird pocket for snow. Then more over the weekend. I'll have to pick a good day to go up and snowshoe/sled in.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Yup suppose to get snow then rain here to. With a repeat coming on Saturday. :D

Seems like 20 minutes daylight gained in mornings and night now. ;)

Last night was a green meteor zooming by my bedroom window, and it wasn't all that high in the sky. Flew across the north and went by Mars Hill. Radio just reported on it today, someone else sighted it and called it in. I thought I was seeing things, but I have seen them in that area of sky before. A year and a half ago I saw one blow up to bits in that area of the sky. I thought maybe Rocket Man was testing rockets. :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Well the snow is underway here, 22F at the moment. Some wind out of the SE.

Nebraska

Just a couple pictures of snow.. First one is looking out the office door at the snow piles, ours and the neighbors across the street....  The  second is the setting sun after I had quit pushing snow and headed inside, probably not going to saw any wood for a while. 

doc henderson

SD when do you sleep? :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

red

I think everyone is getting a very cold Artic Blast between Sunday and Tuesday temperatures as low as 8 degrees
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

Quote from: doc henderson on January 10, 2024, 08:52:47 AM
SD when do you sleep? :D :D :D

24hr operation around here, Doc. :D :D  Made bread starting at 5:00 am. Now, I just came in from 2 hrs of shoving wind driven snow out of the drive way. Only had two big drifts, rest bare pretty much. But takes a while with a snow scoop. ;D Now it is raining and the snow is too wet to be moved by the wind any longer. Hopefully be down to bare gravel after the rain.  Carry on Amigos. 8)

Already had them cold temps this past week, Red. The coming week no colder, highs around 20F has been the trend. The small creeks actually chilled over this winter. Last winter they was wide open.

woodroe

We got 6" snow then an inch of rain on top of that so
big mess. almost 50* now with sun out.
Stuff is gonna have to drain before getting on it.
Will clean up tomorrow in prep for the next one Saturday, a similar
mixed bag.

red

Bomb Cyclone blizzard could cause an Artic Blast courtesy of the polar vortex in the Midwest next week as well as the first real East Coast snowstorm in years

SwampDonkey

40F here with wind and rain. From what I could tell of the snow, since it blew around so much, we got maybe 3" here.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: red on January 10, 2024, 01:23:41 PM
Bomb Cyclone blizzard could cause an Artic Blast courtesy of the polar vortex in the Midwest next week as well as the first real East Coast snowstorm in years

Red, at first I wondered if you were writing in english, but then I read it 3 times and it starts to make sense, :D but where are you getting this forecast? I am not see it around us at all for the next ten days anyway.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

red

Forecast is for the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania . . but I really hope they are wrong

Thank You Sponsors!