iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got this sad 2013 TK2200

Started by thegoodlife, January 10, 2024, 03:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegoodlife

Quote from: Rocks4U on January 12, 2024, 07:30:45 PM
Whats going on with that asv rc100 in the background

Replacing all the hubs, wheels, & sprocket rollers.
As can be seen in photos below the old hubs are totally worn.
Waiting on parts from Oz & have chosen to go with aftermarket grease filled hubs & solid aluminium wheels.

thegoodlife

Quote from: chickenchaser on January 10, 2024, 06:38:51 AM
Wow!

I'd say just the price difference between 2013 and 2023 gives you quite some room to play.

Out of interest sake does anyone remember the 2013 price?

thegoodlife

Quote from: thegoodlife on January 11, 2024, 02:49:16 PM
On my LT40 all the chains get soaked in ATF and brought them back from a semi seized state.  But most the chains on this one are a bit far gone & besides already broken from the previous guy trying to move things without a decent soak first.
I'm thinking to forget the log loaders and fabricate a log loading deck ran off the loader hydraulics.

Has anyone ran a log deck off the TK log loader hydraulics?

thegoodlife

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 12, 2024, 06:51:03 AM
The guy that had it before must have died to let it that bad.

I am not 100% sure if this is the case but most likely.

thegoodlife

Quote from: barbender on January 11, 2024, 04:20:57 PM
I hope you can salvage the Kubota, that's about as good of an engine as you'll find in that size.

We will run it again & get up to temperature if the oil pressure stays up.  Drain the oil & then have a good look inside the sump.  Possibly the oil pickup is getting blocked by sludge or scale or something.
It was real surprising that she fired up after how stuck she was.  Seems to run real smooth too.

thegoodlife

Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 12, 2024, 11:29:18 AM
That's quite a project. It amazes me how such a useful machine can be let go so far. I know of about 6 mills sitting in the condition of yours or worse. Tried to strike deals on several of them to no avail.
One plus to rebuilding a let go machine be it a sawmill or something else you get real familiar with how they work and what to keep an eye on once they're up and running. Something that's worth a lot to me.

I totally agree.  For me knowing the mechanics helps me to know how to use it properly.  Of course helps to diagnose issues & maintain her too.

thegoodlife

Quote from: barbender on January 12, 2024, 01:22:52 PM
Sawmills seem especially prone to this level of neglect, for some reason.
My LT40 had been left standing for many years.  But it had a lot more than 77.6 hours on her before getting parked up.

thegoodlife

Quote from: chet on January 12, 2024, 08:13:16 PM
I've had really good results with stuff I could fit in a jar with ATF and run it through my ultrasonic cleaner.

Wonder what the largest size jar & ultrasonic cleaner we can get?:)

barbender

A diesel engine is amazingly resilient. Still, if it is at all accessible I would pull the oil pan so you can see the oil sump and screen. And also pull the valve covers off and have a look. That is way too valuable of an engine to wing it, IMO.
Too many irons in the fire

Rocks4U

Rubber wheels better then alluminum unless you in ruff stuff also they have double bearing and double sealed that are greased check out vine and branch out of California they have aftermarket stuff for this machine that is upgraded and really good. Like out board bearing that is greasable.. I have the same machine and have pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up if you need any help with anything

thegoodlife

Quote from: barbender on January 13, 2024, 06:00:05 PM
A diesel engine is amazingly resilient. Still, if it is at all accessible I would pull the oil pan so you can see the oil sump and screen. And also pull the valve covers off and have a look. That is way too valuable of an engine to wing it, IMO.

I agree 100%.  I will not take risks with the engine.  More than likely the pan & tappet cover will come off.

thegoodlife

Quote from: Rocks4U on January 13, 2024, 06:34:39 PM
Rubber wheels better then alluminum unless you in ruff stuff also they have double bearing and double sealed that are greased check out vine and branch out of California they have aftermarket stuff for this machine that is upgraded and really good. Like out board bearing that is greasable.. I have the same machine and have pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up if you need any help with anything
Thanks for the offer for the ASV RC100 undercarriage.  The aftermarket parts are already on the way so a bit late to change now.  Why do you say rubber is better?  Most of our rubber tyres are chopped out.

Rocks4U

I had aluminum ones before and they wore really quick and was constantly having to increase track tension that company told me about the rubber ones and have been much better and alot smoother ride

Rocks4U

Also there is a mount bolt on your hydraulic pumps if it breaks it wears your coupler and tandem pump shaft out so I would recommend changing it.its like 10 bucks to change versus 10 grand for coupler and tandem pump

farmfromkansas

A friend left his IH tractor set outside till the motor stuck.  I helped him put diesel in the cylinders to break it loose, and he knew a guy that worked with junk who said put some brake fluid in the cylinders, and sure enough the added brake fluid helped.  Said some type oil in the brake fluid really cuts through the rust.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thegoodlife

Quote from: Rocks4U on January 16, 2024, 05:18:21 PM
I had aluminum ones before and they wore really quick and was constantly having to increase track tension that company told me about the rubber ones and have been much better and alot smoother ride
What sort of ground are you tracking the ASV through?

B.C.C. Lapp

Yup I was going to post just about what newoodguy78 said, by the time you finish this mill up and get it sawing you'll know every bit of it.  Lots of work but the end result in a nice mill and the knowledge you'll gain is a good deal.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 12, 2024, 06:51:03 AM
The guy that had it before must have died to let it that bad.

Hope not Pete.    Maybe he inherited a pile of cash and went to live on a beach somewheres.  :D

I bought my mill 3 months ago and its STILL not under a roof.   I'm disappointed in myself for that but I been pretty busy and the weather has been worse than usual for these months around here.   That's not a good excuse though.   
I do have a new tarp wrapped around the motor, a second tarp wrapped around the whole head and then a third tied over  most of the mill.    But I cant wait to get it under real cover. 

chet

If ya got yer mill wrapped up in tarps, it may not be a bad idea ta check to see if mice have taken up residence before they can do any damage.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

B.C.C. Lapp

Chet they already did. The motor was full of mice when I bought it and I had to do a lot or rewiring to even get her started.   They made a heck of a mess.  Only defense I have now is its parked between two barns and there is maybe a dozen barn cats, or more I can never quite count them, roaming around those buildings.   The rodent population is low and nervous.  But I keep checking.    Hate mice.   They can be as destructive as rats.

thegoodlife

Quote from: chet on January 21, 2024, 09:29:15 AM
If ya got yer mill wrapped up in tarps, it may not be a bad idea ta check to see if mice have taken up residence before they can do any damage.
Here in Northland NZ if we wrap equipment in tarps the trapped moisture becomes a big rust issue.  If I have to resort to tarps I tend to make a roof only and not cover the sides.  Then the wind & sun destroys the tarps in a few months anyhow.

thegoodlife

Quote from: Rocks4U on January 16, 2024, 05:24:11 PMAlso there is a mount bolt on your hydraulic pumps if it breaks it wears your coupler and tandem pump shaft out so I would recommend changing it.its like 10 bucks to change versus 10 grand for coupler and tandem pump
Have you got more specific details to help me find this mount bolt/s?
Thanks

Rocks4U

Lift the cab up and center under the hydraulic resvoir its a 1/2" bolt thats about 8inches long goes from a mount on your second hydraulic pump at a angle to a bracket bolt on the back of the engine. They have a upgraded mount that I recommend getting that is suppose to correct issue I have it and haven't had a problem since.

thegoodlife

Quote from: Rocks4U on January 30, 2024, 08:26:07 AMLift the cab up and center under the hydraulic resvoir its a 1/2" bolt thats about 8inches long goes from a mount on your second hydraulic pump at a angle to a bracket bolt on the back of the engine. They have a upgraded mount that I recommend getting that is suppose to correct issue I have it and haven't had a problem since.
Found the 8" long bolt thanks.  Will have a good look at it later.  Have you got any details on the upgraded mount?

DocGP

Wow, to my untrained eye, that mill looks like it was neglected as much when it was working as when it was set up.  I haven't seen that much wear on mills with several hundred hours on them, much less 77!!

I bet you get it whipped back in shape.  It will be a beast when you get done!

Good luck.
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Thank You Sponsors!