iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving south

Started by Bruno of NH, March 13, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I have heard this story before.  her southern accent made it sound like she was asking if he wanted some... think back side.  other name for a mule, rhymes with what is left after you let a fire burn out.  last part of the word glass!  this is regarding the ice story, not the chicken feet story as to not cause more confusion. smiley_smug01
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Now Magic, I remember seeing a clip of a fella named Lynn from Mississippi, on a Woodmizer promo video, saying how happy he was with  and what a fine machine his Woodmize-uh was🙂

I can say with a high degree of certainty that Minnesota is in no danger of becoming non-rhotic in this century.
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

You'uns and your'n are common not too far from here as well - mostly rural western NC.

Ice and asz are like the difference among tar, tire and tower - some places they are all said the same way-tar. 

Far is something that burns you as well as a long way to go.  Then there's vin nay ger- a form of fermented apples used for pickling cucumbers. 

Context is important...Southside!  ffcheesy
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

One thing I noted back when I drove truck is just as there is a "Mason-Dixon" line, there is also a "Hun" line that I would cross. That being once I got past southern Illinois and stopped at restaurants, the waitresses were apt to say: "What can I get you hun?" (As in "Honey"). Maybe it was just southern hospitality, or maybe they just figured I leave a good tip (always did). ffsmiley
The one thing I had to get used to is they referred to all soft drinks as "Cohhk" (Coke), even if I ordered a Pepsi. ffcheesy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Machinebuilder

Ted I'm 22 miles from the NC border Western NC and East TN are about the same.

Another thing to point out about living in the south
When someone says "Well Bless your heart"

what that really means is you are not an intelligent person (edited to FF standards).

It's commonly considered an insult
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Machinebuilder

And tea is sweet tea, ie sugar water with a hint of brown. you have specifically order unsweet tea, or just unsweet.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

beenthere

Machinebuilder
I don't believe that my wife's Aunt Bessie who lived in southern Iowa and used that phrase often, meant it as you have implied. just sayin... she had a heart of gold and said it with feeling. She's been gone for 40 years, so maybe interpretation of the phrase has changed (for you anyway).

Just saying the word "sorry" can convey many different feelings, depending on the inflection of the voice while saying it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerTed

Used to be I never had to specify my tea as "sweet", there was only one kind.  Never knew anything about tea any other way but sweet.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

B.C.C. Lapp

Now I'm tracking. Thanks doc. ffcheesy      You guys gotta splain stuff more, some of us are loggers ya know. ffcool ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

If someone in Albany offered you coffee and you said yes, please, it would come with cream in it, even if you specified "regular", as that was regular.  I think if you put "little" in the phrase "well bless your little heart" it may be implied.  most time the people in the surroundings catch it but often not the intended target.  We went to Virginia to visit my uncle and cousins I had never met.  My aunts name was Toots.  they would ask if we wanted a "drink", and that implied a carbonated beverage.  a log was called a stick.  there browning 10 g pump was called big Bertha, and they got a real kick out of letting us shoot it.  so did WE.  Toots' mom made a big family dinner and still cooked on a wood stove in a regular log cabin.  She had an Eletric stove and oven out on the back porch and used it to keep things warm.  for some reason Toots called me Brown instead of Bryan.  guess I had a tan that summer. ffcool   :usa:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fluidpowerpro

Back when I had a real job I had a factory rep I worked with a lot. He was from Arkansas. At first it was quite challenging for a northerner like me to understand him. I swear he was the voice of Boomauer on King of the Hill.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 23, 2024, 03:46:49 PM........  for some reason Toots called me Brown instead of Bryan.  guess I had a tan that summer. ffcool  :usa:
Would that be Yankee brown? ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

gaspasser

Bruno...we would be sad to see you go. You were very kind to me when I visited your setup and gave me great advice. If you do go, we wish you well sir. 

Best....

doc henderson

i love accents.  I had a 4-year-old abuse patient in the burn unit at KUMC while I was there as a student doing plastic surgery.  She referred to me as Dr. Brown.   :usa:

Southside

Hey, she seemed like a real friendly gal.... ffcheesy  When we bought our place a neighbor who has since passed but lived here his entire life stopped in, it was like an accent time machine. He asked what we were going to do with the land and when I said we planned to dairy his response was that we were going to "have Q's".  I stood there for a minute trying to figure out what he meant as he was being very serious.  My chicken paw wife at the same time was actually thinking "and R's and T's and WHAT?"  - she told me so later, fortunately we didn't have another chicken paw incident at that moment.  

Every now and then in memory of Spencer we look out over the pasture and will remark about the "Q's" we have, that accent became extinct when he passed.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Well... not THAT friendly!!  :wink_2: ffcheesy ffsmiley :usa: :thumbsup:

Wlmedley

MRPIGS.      MRNOT.      OSAR.    LIBMRPIGS.      Two West Virginians talking about pigs.Figure it out  ffcheesy
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

barbender

It amazing how many of those pronunciations go way back in time. Coo (like too) was the Old English pronunciation, I think it is still pronounced that way in the Frisian and Dutch languages.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

I have a cousin in Norway who married a Canadian. They met in Denmark when he was working for BP out of England somewhere. They married and settled in Tønsberg Norway and he got a job with Statoil. Those first few years he had to learn to speak Norwegian in a professional business like manner because he made a lot of executive presentation. He is a petroleum engineer working on exploration work and surveys. SO they decided to speak only Norsk in the house until he got natural with it. The Norwegian word for 'cow' is pronounced something like 'kew'. They also have a a word 'queue' which sounds similar, but not quite. "Queue" is used to describe a waiting line like at the movies in much of Europe

SO one night he comes home from work, dog tired, and they are chatting while cooking dinner.. He apologized for being late, explaining that he had got out of work late, then got stuck behind a HUGE KEW entering the roundabout that took forever to get through. She stopped what he was doing and looked at him very confused and started asking questions about this 'KEW" like just how big was it? what was it doing in the roadway? What breed was it (she comes from a farming family)? He is staring at her now and trying to 'think in Norwegian' and understand these questions and wondering if his new wife was just a little but nutso. Quickly it dawned on her, he didn't mean 'cow' he meant 'queue'. ffcheesy
 AT the time they were both so tired that neither of their brains were sharp enough to catch it right off.  It was so funny to them that they were still sharing that story 15 years later.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

barbender

I may have shared this one before, but I saw a video where a Brit, knowing that Frisian is the closest language to English and much closer to Old English than modern English is, went to Frisland and tried to buy a brown cow (brunne coo) from a Frisian farmer, by communicating in Old English. It was intelligible enough that they were headed to pick out a cow😂

https://youtu.be/OeC1yAaWG34?si=N3qyaimpo9f0_Ggx

Dave Shepard

I read a story about a German that moved to Minnesota to work in the woods. He figured he was going to be thefts a while, so he might as well learn English. He picked up on the language fairly fast, and was eager to get to town at the Spring breakup to try it on the townspeople. Well, when he finally made it to town, he discovered that he actually spoke pretty good Norwegian.  ffcheesy
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

Now that is DANG funny and I HAVE to remember that one, it's a keeper! ffwave

Thank You Sponsors!