iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Headers and Trimmers for stairs

Started by Jpd, April 24, 2024, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpd

Greetings all

I am continuing to make progress on my 30x40 bank barn.  Engineering is mostly complete, a few small changes to beam sizes but I was pretty close in my first go-around.  The engineer won't do my design, he is just checking for engineering strength etc.  I need to design my headers and trimmers for the stairs.  I have searched the forum and have not found any information about this area.

In the following screenshot, It is my first draft of placing headers and trimmers in my quarter turn stairs.  It is not complete, but I was wondering if any of you have thoughts about this.  Specifically, I have highlighted three areas in red that could use some thought.  

The header and trimmer joist joints- what is an acceptable joint to accomplish this?  On the left side, there are identical loft stairs directly in line and above these stairs.  I am assuming I need a beam across to the sill for those.  

In the middle, should the post be continuous from the slab footing to the loft, and the beams let in to the post?   Or should the joists join, and the post be discontinuous?  

And on the right, I am adjusting the tread width to hopefully meet the existing next joist, so there will only need to be a header there.  

This frame is mostly traditional, no steel as of yet, and I am not opposed to fasteners like bolts or timberlok, if needed.  

Thanks for your consideration.  

JP
Headers and trimmers.jpg

Coastallogger

I don't know the answer to your question but have you checked you won't bump your head on the way up? I have a house where they didn't check and boy, those bumps will shatter a disk and for some reason I need a quarterly reminder. 
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

Jpd

Coastallogger

I have pretty much only ever lived in old houses where this is the norm...  I'm 6'2 and even in wide open stairs, i'm conditioned to duck for cover...

Code allows 6'8, I'm just slightly over that.

Jpd

Ok, here's a new wrinkle and a few screenshots to illustrate:

Thinking ahead to assembly, I'll assemble sills and first floor, then raise the bents, then loft joists and flooring.  Would be very difficult if not impossible with a ~20 foot tall post off in one corner.  So, how would you guys approach these problem joints with a discontinuous post?  

stair post 2.jpgstair post 1.jpg

Jpd

280 views, nobody has run into this situation?

Here are some proposed joints that ill run by the engineer... Please feel free to comment.   Drawn are timberlok screws, but open to other ideas. 

Discontinuous post view 1.jpgDiscontinuous post view 2.jpgDiscontinuous Post view 3.jpgDiscontinuous post view 4.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!