iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you cutting 2024? - pics welcome

Started by Ianab, May 09, 2024, 12:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I'm just cutting junk with abit of size to it . Nothing special 

mudfarmer

Small junk here all day (now there is an opportunity for ball busting)

Chucked a lot of it in the mud holes. Driest it has been all year but still some bad spots and hate dragging logs through the mud
uBlock origin is a free extension for Firefox that makes YouTube and other sites usable

nativewolf

So cutting the junk small stuff now too...but the butts are still decently sized

Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

A lot of wood moving past me on the woods road I use to get to work. So dry the dust off the road needs wipers to remove from the windshield at the end of the day as I park on the road shoulder. I bet there are at least 6 loads a day off one block moving by. Been hauling for weeks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ehp

Not alot of grade in this stuff , I'm on clay/sand soil but makes good stuff for big long timbers , only pretty much need 1 choker on skidder as its got some weight to it 

BargeMonkey

I've gotta get the junk out of the way to get to the good wood, 1 spot to get down over the ledges, not even close to flat. Moved yesterday,
Messenger_creation_A086BFCD-2E20-4A6D-B04D-591F0E9A73F6.jpeg
Messenger_creation_DA2B2E86-D963-43C5-B5BE-DA0574896412.jpeg
It's close to a mile in from the town turn around, it's DROPS OFF in the ledges.
Couple days have this stomped out, other side is 4-5 jobs together. My boats headed to Boston, chase it till Thursday till they get back. 
Messenger_creation_C7BD0FE7-D53B-40B9-9871-E92F388042B3.jpegMessenger_creation_EA15BA91-83CB-4104-BA34-689B1009605A.jpeg

BargeMonkey

Wondered where my skidder operator was at, went and caught himself some ankle jewelry 🤦😆.... Bartender jokes I'm gonna have an interlock device on the skidder... 🤦😆.... 
Messenger_creation_54CD56CE-94C8-46AF-847D-8855FF910650.jpeg
 Girl at tractor thought I was joking, ALL they had. My buddy took 25, I took 50. For 30.00 a pail that's cheaper than drums for ISO 46. 
Messenger_creation_2BC5723E-E6A8-4BAA-B1C9-102339D3BC2D.jpeg
On a more serious note, and not to make it political, but I don't know how people are making it ? There's a formula shortage in the country, the plant was hit by a tornado, that's what almost 500 bucks looks like, how does the average person do it ? Girl looked at my wife like she was nuts last night when we cleaned target out of formula. I don't get it anymore. 
Messenger_creation_C6498C83-8A12-4A90-A101-ACA05C110769.jpeg

thecfarm

I'd rather be looking at hyd fluid for that much money!!!!  ffcheesy
I hope that one wearing the ankle hardware got a work release. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on September 14, 2024, 11:07:10 PMWondered where my skidder operator was at, went and caught himself some ankle jewelry 🤦😆.... Bartender jokes I'm gonna have an interlock device on the skidder... 🤦😆....
Messenger_creation_54CD56CE-94C8-46AF-847D-8855FF910650.jpeg
 Girl at tractor thought I was joking, ALL they had. My buddy took 25, I took 50. For 30.00 a pail that's cheaper than drums for ISO 46.
Messenger_creation_2BC5723E-E6A8-4BAA-B1C9-102339D3BC2D.jpeg
On a more serious note, and not to make it political, but I don't know how people are making it ? There's a formula shortage in the country, the plant was hit by a tornado, that's what almost 500 bucks looks like, how does the average person do it ? Girl looked at my wife like she was nuts last night when we cleaned target out of formula. I don't get it anymore.
Messenger_creation_C6498C83-8A12-4A90-A101-ACA05C110769.jpeg

So we need some help on the harvesting team, trying to free us up to expand.  However, don't need help that has so much jewelry.  

Liking Walnut

Nebraska

Eggs were 6.33 in town a couple days ago fwiw.  Oddly enough i saw a logging truck on the road here with what looked like a load of so so Green Ash logs, it was strange   to see in this neighborhood. Once in a while you see one, almost always it's a load of cottonwood headed to be pallets or once in a blue moon a load of Walnut.  Otherwise lots of fairly large farm equipment.. ffsmiley

Resonator

Years ago I drove truck hauling Christmas trees for a guy that hired immigrants with a green card, and prisoners on work release from the county jail. He'd pick them up and return them each day on time or they'd be considered escapee's. When he'd give me a choice who to take along as a helper to load the truck, I decided I'd rather learn a few words of Spanish than have a guy that could try to make a jailbreak. ffcheesy
I've also seen job ads recently that say: "Those with criminal records are encouraged to apply". I suppose for 2 names of reference they can always put down their bail bondsman and parole officer. ffcheesy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple pics when I was cutting maples by my customers lake cabin. Not a big tree, but was plenty exciting when I saw what looked like dirt coming out the saw instead of sawdust. Luckily there was enough solid wood to wedge it over, and not end up having to fish it out of the lake.

Had a bigger hard maple I cut also, was able to wedge it over where I wanted it to go too (ignore the fiber pull). ffcheesy
Ended up getting a couple decent saw logs and some good firewood. One of them had tap holes that made nice lumber (see the wathcha sawin' thread).

Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

I've been filling in for a friend in his forwarder, he's out elk hunting in Colorado😊 We're harvesting what we call "soup can" aspen, because the diameter is similar to a soup can😬 Not high production wood for sure, but it's contract cutting on paper company land. They pay decent per cord. 

This stuff probably runs between 6-10" dbh.

The mill lines to harvest their aspen at this size, between 30-40 years old. They get more cords per acre, and this small diameter wood feeds through the mill well. 

Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Eh, there's probably another 75 good sticks on this piece, firewood and some pulp / hemlock. Finish this one up and move around to the other road, alot more wood to cut over there.
Messenger_creation_785A20D2-6A3E-4B12-A4C8-E33D1F32E98B.jpegMessenger_creation_AB9A37B2-4260-46C3-8295-0F8C50844FA8.jpegMessenger_creation_2A6A1A0A-0EAC-4F5F-A75E-EAB333A11B27.jpegMessenger_creation_0B202EC3-7476-4EC1-84BB-8863B6CFEFE2.jpeg
Not alot of room, put up a decent wall, back the slasher in, would like to be done here by Wednesday. 

mudfarmer

A couple triaxle loads of firewood out and half a load of saw logs, getting into a good pocket now.

Sticking with workflow from this winter, drop/top/lop and bunch to the trail all weekend only bringing out hitches at lunch, end of day and if I need something from landing. The skids get shorter every turn but are still long. Skid until dark after work on weekdays.

It must be cool to hand cut ahead of a grapple skidder doing whole tree  ffcheesy
uBlock origin is a free extension for Firefox that makes YouTube and other sites usable

g_man

That's a tough schedule to keep @mudfarmer - hats off to you. Good thing you are young. Dark is coming quicker now but it is drying up slooooowly. At least here anyway. Skidder and woods you are leaving look good.

gg

mudfarmer

Thanks g_man! Your crane and trailer setup are just the ticket for keeping a nice woods though. There is an old forwarder in my yard that needs a drivetrain and loader that would make this all easier and probably nicer in the end. Doing what I can to keep this job nice but also get it done. It will rain soon and that will shut it down again so get it while I can. Feast or famine I will choose feast every time and work 8 days a week to get there.

Thank You Sponsors!