iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two stroke oil ratio's- Saber,Castrol,, Red Max, and Stihl

Started by Keepfixin, May 11, 2024, 09:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

I use Amsoil Saber at 50 to 1 in my 372 on my firewood processer . In the cut every 9 seconds up to 20 inch wood . I go through  a lot of gas .  The 372 is in its second rebuild the last time it lost a wrist pin bearing and we could have saved the jug . I said after a hundred gallon of gas it deserved a new jug and piston .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Jack jr

I run gulf Western at the moment but no matter what oil always 25/1 and am yet to foul a plug.

Cheers Jack jr

TreefarmerNN

Quote from: Magicman on May 12, 2024, 08:56:35 AMAnd then the 'skeeters can't see you through the fog.  ffcheesy

My chainsaws cost too much for me to experiment.  I use the little "Ultra" silver Stihl bottle and mix one bottle per gallon as instructed.  I also pour a bit of gas into the empty bottle and rinse it out.  ffsmiley

Ditto

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

lxskllr

My switch to RedArmor has been positive so far. I was using Stihl Ultra, but it was really burning my eyes, and the fumes smelled bad. My eyes don't really burn with the RedArmor, and it smells better burning. It makes up for that a bit by stinking in unburned form. Smells kind of fishy, but I only notice that when mixing. Too soon to say if the saws like it any better, but everything runs fine.

barbender

Amsoil smells pleasant. I ordered some Klotz Techniplate. That smells like fabric softener. Good stuff. It costs about 2x the Amsoil for the same amount though, so I'll go back to the Amsoil.

YellowHammer

I'm running Cotton Picker Spindle Oil.  It works great for everything. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Gearbox

Quote from: barbender on September 09, 2024, 06:50:22 PMC'mon Gearbox, live on the edge and go to 100:1!😁
I don't think so .Jim Detlof would kick my butt 
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

doc henderson

How about used fry oil from fast food restaurant.  then the saw will smell like French fries!  ffcheesy smiley_beertoast food3
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Have at it, Doc! The only question I have is, what mix ratio?

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DHansen

I wonder how many of these companies manufacture their own motor oils verses just having them bottled and packaged by a oil company.  I'm thinking Amsoil, Mobil,  Lucas, Valvoline and Pennzoil are manufacturing and blending their own product.  But Stihl, Husqvarna, O'reilly, FMP, and a host of store brands are repackaged products or maybe made to order based on requirements from the company wanting to sell the oil under their brand name.  I think back to products by Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Johnson and Evinrude.  All were repackaged products from major oil companies.

lxskllr

Yea, it would be interesting for sure to know who makes what. I find it hard to believe a tool company would refine and blend their own fuels/oils.

DHansen

I think Red Armor is made by the Phillips 66 corporation.  And has been sold by two chainsaw brands.  Tag with the names of Echo and Shindaiwa, at different times.  Oils today seem to be very high quality, and we have plenty of options.  Most important is to remember to use the stuff!

Fishnuts2

I've run Saber since trying it at 100-1 in our race sled in 1977.  No longer running the lean mixes, but never had a failure.  With over 100 2 stroke engines of various age and designs, they all get Saber and E-free gas at 32-1.

Thank You Sponsors!