iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horizontal slab shaver.

Started by Dave Shepard, May 17, 2024, 07:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Many years ago I saw a horizontal slab shaver for sale on Sawmill Exchange. It was a slow speed, low hp (10 hp 3 phase) setup that would have been at the end of a conveyor. I have never been able to find another, and was wondering if anyone here had heard of them. I know there are Salsco machines today, but they are very expensive and too high hp to work in my desired application. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rusticretreater

I guess you mean a shaving mill for making animal bedding?

Try this.  Type shaving mill into google and get a page of results.  Then at the top of the page, click on the images link.  Voila! You get pages full of pictures of mills, new, old, on ebay, etc.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

barbender

Jackson makes them too, but yeah most I've seen are bigger machines.
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

This was not a shaving mill in the traditional sense. The slabs fed into it like a planer. It was not a complicated machine, and was low horsepower. It looked like it would be perfect at the end of a set of rollers. Anything that wasn't a board or flitch, just let it keep going to the shaver. This would make slab disposal happen without adding any additional time to sawing, and at 10hp, would not add much cost to the operation. Product would presumably be suitable for cattle bedding. My options right now for disposal are hauling then away at around $8-900 per tri-axle load, or hiring a large chipper a couple times per year, assuming I can talk someone into doing it. Owning a chipper plus spending the time to chip would be many years of just trycking it away. Burning is not an option. 

The Salsco machines look awesome, but they are actually too productive, too expensive for my purpose, and would add probably more fuel expense than running the mill itself. I think they would make sense for a higher volume mill than what I'm running. Disposal costs are only going to go up around here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I think he has a small brush chipper. He also has a market for chips, I don't. For the cost of a chipper, plus the time it would take to do the actual chipping, plus having to have a truck to haul the chips, I could pay to have them hauled away for years. Neither of those options is financially feasible. 

melezefarmer

Does it work like this one?

Hutto mini mill

Edit: There's also Salsco that makes a 40hp unit.

Dave Shepard

No, this machine was more like a big planer, the slab was fed through with some sort of roller system.

Southside

The Salsco's are not what they are cracked up to be, so yes, stay away. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mrfu

google japanese super surfacer might be what your looking for. 
Tom

Peter Drouin

You must have a debarker for the whole log then. Without that, you would be changing blades every day. With the planer thing.
I have a 12" Morebark.  When the rack is full I take the Lull and dump them in the one-ton. Bring it on the hill back it up to the chipper, and pick the dump body up some. So the slabs almost load them selfs in the chiper. ffcheesy
The load = a cord + of wood. Feed with the bark side down to save the chipper knives.  people love chips I now have landscapers, and farmers, too
That load I do takes less than a half hour to do. When people find you have some they will come I think. A good way to get rid of the mill waste. I move sawdust some not as much as I would like to. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nebraska

I would think organic undyed wood chip mulch would sell well especially in certain areas.  

Southside

Yea - but is is gluten free?  ffcheesy
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

I'm not looking to get into any other businesses. I just want my slabs to go into a metal box at the end of a conveyor line and and get blown into another dimension. Or at least blown into a pile somewhere else that isn't a pile of slabs.

Cedarman

When making slabs into small pieces, horsepower is your friend.
We have two machines, each 125HP and 30HP blower.  But we are making 1 to 3 box vans each week.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

nopoint

Equipment is fun but IS there a market for the product you will create?

Dave Shepard

Horsepower is not my friend. The whole point is to have something that converts the slab about five seconds faster than the time it takes to create the slab. Any machine that has more horsepower, more equipment expense, or more investment of my time, won't wor for me. 

I neither need, nor want, a market. If the machine I'm thinking of will make cattle bedding, then it'll go across the street to the freestall barn.

Southside

What about a hammer mill then?  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Andries

On YouTube, there was a well done series called "Linda's Sawmill Cinema" 

Linda would be catching lumber from the mill, feeding the resaw and a son would stack lumber or feed edgings into a "next dimension" machine.

All you could see on the video was the slabs or edgings going on a conveyor to a hole in the wall, never to be seen again. I always assumed there was a hungry hammer mill outside the mill shed.

Dave, is it reasonable to say that you want the slabs and edgings to be turned into sawdust or mulch without any additional horsepower or expense? You're one of the most practical and down-to-earth guys on this Forum. 
Just having a wishful moment? 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

That would be FF member ElectricAl and his wife Linda.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rusticretreater

QuoteThe whole point is to have something that converts the slab about five seconds faster than the time it takes to create the slab.
That requires a lot of HP and Torque or a big electric motor with three phase power.  Either way, HP is definitely your friend. Take a look at various wood chippers/shavers and see what kind of power they are using.  Low dollar equipment is slower, weaker, more prone to break down and more dangerous to use.

Sounds like you need to constantly sift through the auctions looking for what you need.  Or maybe you can just use a blaster! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!  :rifle:
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Dave Shepard

What I mean by it taking as long  to grind the slab as it does to make them is that there isn't a steady flow of slabs like a big mill. If it takes 2, 3, or even four minutes to grind up a slab, that is perfect. Low horsepower over a lot of time. If I have to  spend $50k on a machine, and spend my spare time doing it, then I'll just hire someone to haul it away. This discussion was prompted by the fact that I have seen machines that I think will do this, I just haven't been able to find one, or any information on one 

fluidpowerpro

A few years back I built a stump grinder for my skid steer so I was thinking that if built one of these I would use a wheel and carbide teeth in it's design.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

barbender

It should be doable, but is there anything like that available is the question? Just a planer head bottom mounted with power feed should grind slabs up. 

I've never watched a shavings mill in action, but the way they've been described is the log just sits in the box that feeds back and forth across a cutter head that is similar to a planer head. 

Too many irons in the fire

fluidpowerpro

What I'm imagining is a feed system that clamps the log like a wood chipper. It feeds the log past a stump grinder wheel that sweeps across the top of the log, shaving it down. The log would likely have to move back and forth multiple times depending on how much hp you threw at it.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!