iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

History of the Stihl 028

Started by gman98, May 20, 2024, 09:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Can anyone here tell us about the history of the Stihl 028's?  When they were built, what market/users were they designed for?  I got a couple of them a while back and they seem to be nice bulletproof saws.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Magicman

Sorry, no history from me except that I have had an 028AV since the 1980's.  It has to be one of the easiest cranking and sweetest running that I have ever had.  In a roundabout way it became my "farm property" saw and was replaced by my MS261.

For whatever reason I replaced the rim sprocket, bar, & chain to 7/32, which is something that I will not do on the MS261.

I googled and there is a good bit of information on the ArboristSite.com, for example;

Here are some 028 notes. There were three different bore sizes on the 28: 42mm (AV and WB), 44mm (Woodboss) and 46mm (Super, Super Woodboss, anything with Super in it). The ci are 2.92, 3.07, and 3.18 respectively.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Magic i just noticed this "traveling man " I too am one .Hard to say about the 028 history .I have a wood boss  .Little brother to the three models of 038 plus 042 and 048 .Decent saw for the size though I must say .Not exactly bullet proof so to say but in tune a good steady fire wood saw .Taken proper care of  should last about a life time . I will have to admit mine doesn't see much run time simpley because I have faster and lighter saws in that class .

sablatnic

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2024, 02:14:06 PMFor whatever reason I replaced the rim sprocket, bar, & chain to 7/32, which is something that I will not do on the MS261.

7/32, is that the file size?

Magicman

Quote from: sablatnic on May 23, 2024, 07:37:45 AM7/32, is that the file size?
Yes, file size.  At the time I was also using two other saws that used the same 7/32 file so I wanted them all to be the same.

That was not reason enough to change.  :uhoh:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I had one for 30 years or more, but it got real cranky many years ago, and I had lots of trouble getting spare parts.

It was a very good saw, used around here at the time as the preferred rental saw.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

I put a top end, boot, and carb that came from sponsor Chainsawr on mine.  :thumbsup:

old 030

IIRC the 028 came out in '77. I've owned a few over the years, my neighbor still owns and uses an early 028 that I repaired for him, it still runs strong. Here's a couple I re-did and sold several years ago.IMAG0031.JPG

Thank You Sponsors!