iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheaper Chain

Started by Magicman, May 22, 2024, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I know cheaper may very well be cheaper, but I just bought a Stihl chain for my MS261 e/w an 18" bar and it was ~$37.00.  It is not like I am in some kind of production, just need replacement chains.  My usual is not to stop and resharpen while on a sawing job, just stick a sharp one on and go.  I have a "2 in 1" plus the saw shop will resharpen them for $4.

What I bought was: 3639 005 0074.  I don't mind ordering online, but I don't want to order the wrong one.  I am not brand sensitive, just want it to fit.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Otis1

I found a local store that sells Stihl chains for a buy 2 get 1 free deal. It is called Grebes and they have everything from appliances (just bought a new washing machine, that's how I found the deal) to kitchen and cooking supplies to power equipment. Not sure if they do mail order but you might look into it. 

Old Greenhorn

Well, once I switched from Oregon LPX over the X-cut (husky) I just bought from my dealer and didn't care what it cost (within reason of course), but then he retired closing the last local saw shop we had. I try to buy the chains I need for the year at the Boonville show in August. But I messed up last year and when I needed a new chain for my 18" .325 bar, I had none. I have spares for all my other combos, but was missing that one. So I just got on Ebay and started price shopping. A husky OEM chain is just that, and with no dealer to support, I don't really care who I buy it from (as long as it isn't amazon) I will still get the same chain. So I got one for about $20 bucks that will last me quite a while. In August I will do a more proper inventory so that I can buy a year's supply at Boonville this year and get squared away. I like to have at least and extra new chain for each setup, but for 20" I like two. I don't swap chains unless I have an issue. I put a chain on and sharpen it until it's done on that saw, then replace it and save the take-off for a root chain..
 I keep a tool bag that is just spare parts and tools for saws and when I open it, it looks like a mini Husky warehouse. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I think Oregon should be cheaper.
Or they are for me.
But I don't use Oregon.
I did for years.
Then a small dealer turned me on to a Sthil RS chain. Cost more but I can sharpen it better.
What I mean by better is, I can hit a rock with it and put the saw on the ground and sharpen the chain on the ground. I can get it back to where it was before I hit the rock.
With Oregon it takes about 3-4 filing to get it back and then by that time I have hit another rock.
I am claiming back fields and I cut my stumps very low, into dirt at times.
So paying the extra money is worth it too me.
In fact I just had to put an Oregon chain on. Made me realize why I spend the extra money.  the auto parts store I work at sell Oregon, but after using that chain a few times, it made up my mind to go back to Sthil.
I know your situation is different.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

I like WoodlandPro(Carlton) chain from Baileys. Not as much as Stihl, but if I had to pay list price like you are, that's what I'd use. I got a couple reels from ebay pretty cheap, and my newer dealer is reasonable on chain, so I buy Stihl. I'd suggest looking at different local dealers, and trying a chain from Baileys. It isn't an expensive gamble.

Southside

I have had good luck with Forester branded chain for several years now. No idea who makes it but it's a quality product.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I only use a couple of chains per year so it's not going to make me go broke, but I did suffer from a bit of sticker shock.  :shocked2:   I went to Bailey's and was overwhelmed by the options.  I suppose that I should have allowed the online helper to help.  :uhoh:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

If the part# you gave was correct, this is what Baileys gives using their selector...

https://www.baileysonline.com/selectors/chainsaw-chain-selector.html?find=stihl-ms-261-18---45cm---325--063---1-6mm--chisel-134927&sid=WyHLrf5oTV

They have 10packs of WoodlandPro on sale, but you might want to try a single loop before committing to any quantity. These are the specs of the chain you linked, and can be compared to other brand chains...

Drive links - 74
Pitch - .325
Gauge - .063
Cutter type - full chisel

The first 3 specs are hard requirements. Any chain you get must match those to work. The cutter type is more flexible, and can be adjusted per preference and work type.

Magicman

Thank You.  I read the part# directly from the box so it has to be correct.  :thumbsup:

Magicman

Using the above information I found one on eBay for $15.07 with free shipping.  We shall see and I am sure "China".  :uhoh:

lxskllr

I've had 0% luck with Chinese chains. I've gotten them on used/found saws, and on other people's saws. Every one had hardness issues where some teeth/rakers were hard as diamonds, and at least one had weird geometry, where it looked like the designer went off a verbal description and a pencil sketch to design the chain.

Magicman

Yup, I risked 15 bucks just for giggles.  The "brand name" was Longer.

I am presently dealing with some side distractions that are causing me to have too much idle time.  Hopefully I can regain my sawing schedule next week and not think about such stuff.

With customers and tailgunners trimming logs with my chainsaw, they will hit dirt and muddy logs without a clue.  It's quicker for me to replace a dull chain and drop it off at the saw shop for resharpening.

lxskllr

If you do a lot of dirty wood, you might want to consider semichisel instead of full chisel chain. It'll hold a cutting edge longer, though really filthy wood will still dull it fast.

Old Greenhorn

There's nothing wrong with your process regarding chains, especially given their usage and the shop doing the sharpening. If you do get hard teeth, you will never even know it. You focus on getting the job done for production and time is money, not to mention working hours lost while sharpening.
I used to get mine done by a local old guy that only did sharpening, but I found I only got 3 to 4 resaharps and it was done. He would just let the machine go. That got expensive replacing chains. Since I now hand sharpen, I am a lot more careful, get better cutting, and better control and am more particular on the chain type/brand. It also takes time, but its time that I have. But my application is very different. I have also found working on my skill level helps make a chain go a long way by not hitting dirt, which means better bucking practices. I still get the occasional piece of shale that is growing up inside a stump and you can't do anything about that.
You gotta refine a technique that works for you and stick with it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: lxskllr on May 23, 2024, 09:46:09 AMIf you do a lot of dirty wood, you might want to consider semichisel instead of full chisel chain.
Yes, I read that while I was searching.  

My help is generally clueless so I watch the chips and listen to the saw when I can and get the chain replaced. 

hedgerow

Quote from: lxskllr on May 23, 2024, 07:58:04 AMIf the part# you gave was correct, this is what Baileys gives using their selector...

https://www.baileysonline.com/selectors/chainsaw-chain-selector.html?find=stihl-ms-261-18---45cm---325--063---1-6mm--chisel-134927&sid=WyHLrf5oTV

They have 10packs of WoodlandPro on sale, but you might want to try a single loop before committing to any quantity. These are the specs of the chain you linked, and can be compared to other brand chains...

Drive links - 74
Pitch - .325
Gauge - .063
Cutter type - full chisel

The first 3 specs are hard requirements. Any chain you get must match those to work. The cutter type is more flexible, and can be adjusted per preference and work type.
I have been running Woodlandpro chain for years and have had very good luck with it. I run semi chisel as we have more than our share of dirt around here. I just ordered some ten packs during the sale. I like Stihl chain saws but not paying there price for chains. 

Machinebuilder

I get my chain at the local coop, which is also the Stihl/Husqvarna dealer.

The pricing on a single chain is about what you saw.
They have deals where if you buy a certain number the price drops dramatically.

I bought 7 chains at 1/2 price. Now that I've gotten better at sharpening them (thanks to you guys) I should be good for a long time.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

chet

Cheap sawchain never seemed like a financial winner for me. While running my arborist bussiness I always carried multiple freshly sharpened chains for each saw. Time was money, and much quicker to flip a chain than to take the time to file, especially on da long bars. Also could quickly switch to a mostly used up chain for stump flushing or wood that was saturated with metal. Filing was mostly reserved for evenings or rain days in da shop.    
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

I have no idea whether it is any good or not but:

IMG_5811.JPG
The cheap chain came today, $16.07 delivered and at least it is the correct size.  That is $21 less than the new Stihl chain that I just put on the MS261 so this one will have to wait a bit. 

barbender

I haven't had good luck with cheap chain either. I've always ran Oregon and Stihl, Stihl chain definitely stays sharp better. I waffle back and forth whether it is worth the extra money😊

Member Gearbox likes Tri-link brand chain that they sell at the local fleet store. He said it is almost too hard to file. Maybe I should try a loop.
Too many irons in the fire

OH logger

What would a proven  Oregon chain cost that same size magic?  I use mostly 24" Oregon EXL chain and I think it's about $20 now.  Used to be $15
john

Magicman

That is a legitimate question.  I have never used anything other than Stihl chains and I experienced a bit of sticker shock when the new chain was $37.  

I never considered an option and the saw shop has Oregon chains.  It's not like I use many chains so the cheaper question was more out of curiosity.  I am not necessarily a cheapskate, but I suppose that I do qualify as a penny pincher.

I always pay with a CC because I get Cabela's Points, but when the shop started charging 3.5% for CC use, I now pay with cash. 

Thank You Sponsors!