iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Id help

Started by Bruno of NH, May 22, 2024, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

These logs came in on a tree service load with no bark on them.
I thought it was Basswood but sawed hard unlike any Basswood I have sawn before and don't look like it 
Any thoughts? 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Definitely not basswood. Elm maybe.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, not basswood, its distinctive even without bark. The outside of the log is fluted. Possibly a poplar or elm. The large amount of knots should be a clue, but not for me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

Somebody looking over all of us has spit out the answer using big flowery words, many of which were past my grasp of the English language. Just ran through my head.  ffsmiley

My guess was Elm. It sheds its bark after it dies fairly fast. 

Don P

This page shows some distinguishing differences in grain between the elms,
and good end grain pics of the distinctive ulmiform grain  ffsmiley.

Elm Wood: Hard and Soft | The Wood Database (wood-database.com)

esteadle

I'm going with Poplar. I see maybe some blueing and greenish yellow tint like poplar will do.
Something about the knots being small and inline seems poplar-ish.
In a yard I see them develop branching on the sunny side.

Magicman

There are too many determinations yet to be answered.  Is is ring porous, diffuse porous, or semi?  If ring, is it wavy?  Did the outer edge have flutes or was it smooth?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Can't see the grain, just the ring outlines, but not enough to see pores individually. Lighting may be off to. If I could see those clearly I could tell if it was elm immediately. At this point for me, it could be elm or cherry. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Since it came off of a  tree service truck, I would think it is a tree that grew near a house.  Softwoods, elm, maples and oaks are the main ones that people plant for landscaping purposes.  I'm thinking its some sort of elm, like a Siberian or Chinese elm. 

A lot of times you can tell just by what it smells like when you cut it.  Elm has a distinct smell.  I have some Siberian elm in my yard, and have cut a bunch for firewood. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

duffdav

Catalpa ? They are in bloom now.  I am surprised how many are scattered around here.

Bruno of NH

It was smooth not fluted like poplar 
The end grain isn't like the red elm logs that I have 

woodroe

No bark on the wood. Elm does shed its bark quickly when dead. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!