iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln floor insulation???

Started by Nebraska, May 23, 2024, 10:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Leaning towards 3/4 inch foil faced polyiso..  Just wondering what feelings were and others choices had been.  I could go 2 inch if need be.  Building on top of 5/4 recycled deck boards. 

Southside

Isn't that the while open pore stuff?  I would be concerned with water getting into it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Well I didn't think it was, I thought it kind of looked like spray foam between aluminum foil. My plan was to sandwich it under some plywood then maybe use a cheap waterproof closeout click vinyl for the floor if it will take the heat. Or maybe cheap ceramic tile on cement board. At the rate I am moving maybe it will be done by next year.  :wink_2:

blackhawk

I would go with the 2" thick foam.  That is what I used beneath the concrete for my DH kiln.
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

K-Guy

@Southside
@Nebraska
It is moisture resistant, so I would recommend a vapor barrier between it and the floor. Use 2" of the polyiso.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

scsmith42

I used 6" of closed cell insulation in the floor, walls and doors of 3 of mine.  They get hotter in the summer than my 4th solar that has 4" poly-iso insulation.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Nebraska

6 inches may (ok will)...require me to noodle on my design a bit more. I was thinking 3.5" in walls etc. 

scsmith42

Re wall thickness, it depends upon how cold your climate it.  In my area I'll have solar kiln temps over 100 degrees in all but 2 months or so of the year (in my 3 kilns with the 6" insulation).  In the kiln with 3.5" insulation, it's more like 8 months of the year.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

Do your thing @Nebraska.  as you get thicker there is less bang for the buck.  as Gene W told me, "It is only a solar kiln".  I think he knew I was making it too hard.  I have still not built my first trying to make it harder than it has to be.   ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

farmfromkansas

I used a welded pipe frame for a base, put some straps sticking up to bolt the floor to, then used 2x6 floor frame, turned it over and put plywood under the floor frame, turned it over and bolted the floor to the pipe frame, put 2 layers of r-11 insulation in the floor frame, put plastic down over the top, then layed t&g flooring.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Nebraska

Well my base is two REA poles squared up, with laminated 2x10 beams on 16" centers with a layer of recycled 5/4 deck board that were too good to haul to the land fill.  It's over kill, then insulation with some sort of plywood floor. Walls haven't been decided yet. 

Nebraska

Nebraska

Well it was underlined in the preview.   :wacky:

Thank You Sponsors!