iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Machine rounded poles

Started by dquest, July 20, 2024, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dquest

Hi all,

Looking to see if there is a homeowner type setup to turn 4x4 poles into rounded poles. I'm  in eastern Canada btw.

I have a lot of cedar that I can mill into 4x4 then turn into 10ft horse jump poles.

Is there a pto version or hydraulic setup for a tractor. 

I can only find machine rounded poles online to purchase not a setup that I could make / buy.

Appreciate any info you can share. 
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250
Chev 2500 HD /Load Trail/4 Star

Southside

The Lathemizer comes to mind. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dquest

That's not really what I'm looking for.
Looking for more of a system that would feed a pole into it and round it as it is pulled through.

I guess like a delimber that would size the diameter as well.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250

Southside

You are basically talking about a Rosser Head debarker, there is a pole plant not too far from here that uses a modified one to debark and shape telephone pole blanks.  Not really PTO sized equipment. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TreefarmerNN

Quote from: dquest on July 20, 2024, 09:42:47 PMHi all,

Looking to see if there is a homeowner type setup to turn 4x4 poles into rounded poles. I'm  in eastern Canada btw.

I have a lot of cedar that I can mill into 4x4 then turn into 10ft horse jump poles.

I can only find machine rounded poles online to purchase not a setup that I could make / buy.

Wood Mizer sells a set up to basically turn the cant multiple times until you end up with what you want.  The only issue I see with making one is that you will need middle supports to prevent sag. 

dquest

Quote from: Southside on July 20, 2024, 11:20:02 PMYou are basically talking about a Rosser Head debarker, there is a pole plant not too far from here that uses a modified one to debark and shape telephone pole blanks.  Not really PTO sized equipment.
Thanks for the info. I can buy large amounts of 4" diameter. Hoping to make my own. Appreciate the starting point.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250

dquest

Quote from: TreefarmerNN on July 21, 2024, 06:40:13 AM
Quote from: dquest on July 20, 2024, 09:42:47 PMHi all,

Wood Mizer sells a set up to basically turn the cant multiple times until you end up with what you want.  The only issue I see with making one is that you will need middle supports to prevent sag. 
I saw that in an earlier post. Not quite what I'm looking for but thanks for the post.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250

doc henderson

If you watch some of the YouTube stuff, there are simple machines show.  they are mostly in foreign countries and most likely have a learning curve (not OSHA approved).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXyqYnMuTc0

this is not what you can build at home, but I found it interesting.  what length and what will be the use?  what kind of volume?  I have seen a video with a machine and hand rounding the post.  Homemade stuff with lots of power can be a man killer so think about safety.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

small scale you could use a router lathe.  depends on your fab skill as to making the router automatically move along the log as it turns. I made a small scale one.  like a sled but suspends a log so it can be turned.  I would use it for a half dozen or so, not production.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

her is a jig for small rounds stuff in the shop.

small scale.  you could incorporate your pto to turn the poles.  a knife type lathe would prob. flex the pole and it may get a death wobble and self-destruct.  Might be able to use a gear reduced tarp motor to turn a log slowly and use a router.  you could arrange a cable to pull the router motor along at a prescribed rate based on the rpms of the log and make it semiautomatic.

dougtrr2

My thoughts tend toward a custom shaper cutter. Four passes through a shaper might be faster that a lathe.

Doug in SW IA

dquest

Quote from: doc henderson on July 21, 2024, 07:43:56 AMIf you watch some of the YouTube stuff, there are simple machines show.  they are mostly in foreign countries and most likely have a learning curve (not OSHA approved).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXyqYnMuTc0

this is not what you can build at home, but I found it interesting.  what length and what will be the use?  what kind of volume?  I have seen a video with a machine and hand rounding the post.  Homemade stuff with lots of power can be a man killer so think about safety.
Thanks for the input and pics. I'm looking to make jump poles for horses. 10 to 12 ft long and 4" diameter.  We have a tonne of cedar and paying 35 to 45 bucks a pole doesn't make sense to me.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250

dquest

Quote from: dougtrr2 on July 21, 2024, 10:41:43 AMMy thoughts tend toward a custom shaper cutter. Four passes through a shaper might be faster that a lathe.

Doug in SW IA
Thanks  I'll look into that. 
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
TYM 574
Woodland Mills HM122
Blacks Creek 1250

doc henderson

I think you may have mentioned it. but for that length a shaper sounds better than a lathe.  how much to spend depends on how many you need to make.  if you sell them, will there be liability?  People with horses, tend to love horses.   :wacky: smiley_smug01 ffcheesy :wacky: ffsmiley

Nebraska

Magicman

Quote from: dquest on July 21, 2024, 01:47:20 PMWe have a tonne of cedar and paying 35 to 45 bucks a pole doesn't make sense to me.
A 4X4 - 12' is 16bf, so about $2.5 per bf for a finished product is not out of line.

I would be looking for a 2" radius round over bit.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

there are some in videos online that show a square going in and round coming out in one pass.  top and bottom cutters, with rollers in and out.  not sure how big they go.

SwampDonkey

Small local mill here turns round 6' long cedar posts. Don't know what he uses, I've bought his posts though. The posts follow the taper of the cedar as well, he's shoving debarked rounds into it, not squared wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riwaka

Morbark post peeler. There are other versions, some are quite basic, tractor powered etc.

https://youtu.be/XLnFC9s2dTU?si=1OhX_hCeygTFQgiz

And posch with north american dealers.
https://www.posch.com/en/products/debarking/schaelprofi/

Riwaka

There are also a few chainsaw peeler type attahments, Might be one way of potentially meeting nurses. Bozeman etc

https://www.loghomestore.ca/product/log-wizard-debarking-chainsaw-attachment/

maineshops

Does a horse know the difference between square and round? Jus curious why round?
Phil:4, 13

beenthere

Likely when a horse doesn't quite clear the pole during the jump, the square corners leave more of a mark. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed_K

Do you have a saw mill? I've seen jump poles that were 6 an 8 sided poles. if you have or can get a saw mill try that an see if the horse people would buy them.
Ed K

GAB

It is nice that they are using a renewable material.
Why couldn't they use a 4" drainage pipe with no holes in it?
For longer lengths it may require glueing two pieces together.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ljohnsaw

PVC would be too light. The rail should stay put if a horse just brushed it. The rails typically sit in a shallow curved cup on the standards. 

Yes, round will be more kind when hit. Also, IMO, removing the corners reduces the weight significantly. Both for the horses sake and the grounds crew. I've seen plenty of octagonal rails.

I would make a jig to sit on the log bunks to hold one or more 4x4s at 45°. Make the Vs deep enough to touch the full 4" face of the 4x4. Clip the point, rotate and repeat without having to adjust the head height. If need be, a screw through the jig into each 4x4 to hold steady for the cut.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!