iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Circular Sawmill Conversion

Started by AEM, September 01, 2024, 04:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEM

I am wanting to set up an old circular sawmill converted to have a hydraulic driven carriage with no belts.  It would really help me out if anyone has pictures or information on this process.  Thanks 

rusticretreater

Sounds like a lotta long hoses and stuff.  Prob better to go with chain drive.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

AEM

What I'm wanting to do is drive the cable drum with a hydraulic motor.  Either being chain sprocketed or direct coupled.  I have found a hydraulic motor as low as 140 rpm's. 

Gearbox

The drawback to hydraulic drive is that your speed will be the same both ways . With belts the return speed is very fast . I just ran a hydraulic done with a cheep Greesen valve with a long handle . it was hard to control the feed speed and the return was slower than I would have liked  
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Mooseherder

I have pictures of my hydraulic deck in my sawmill gallery.  It's also for sale in the commerce section.  

old-man-on-the-mountain

I worked on a mill many years back that used a hydrostatic transmission that originally came from a lawn and garden tractor. The carriage speed on that unit was infinitely adjustable, both ways.

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ron Wenrich

I've run several mills that have hydraulic feed.  I'm far from being an expert on hydraulics.  But, sawing with them is no different than using belts.  Probably better.  As long as the motor speed can be controlled and can be reversed to give dynamic braking.

I had a hand mill that we converted over to hydraulics. We had a pump, a 5 gal tank, and a motor with a sprocket.  The pump was run off the mandrel.  We used a chain to another sprocket.  We got the speed we wanted by driving from a smaller sprocket to a larger one.  Worked great.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!