iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I break down this burl to transport to a friend?

Started by burdman_22, September 07, 2024, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdman_22

I've got this big burl, ash I believe, that I want to save for a friend of mine to turn (likely bowls).

I am in Maryland, he is in Alabama. I don't want to transport this thing to him in one piece....so what is the best way to break it down into usable pieces for him, but also, how to a treat it to preserve it until I am ready to deliver it and he is ready to process it?

The burl is an hour away from me, so leaving it until he is ready isn't really an option.

The burl goes all the way through to the other side, so probably about two foot through.

doc henderson

well 3 feet long.  could start cutting from the other side and get to the burl.  but if it is all the way through, can split it in half.  talk to your buddy and see if he has an idea of what he wants to make.  Is it flat or oval?  might get 4 to 6 chunks.  split in half the long way then 1-foot sections to get 6.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

burdman_22

Doc, split in half with the blade going through with branches of the fork, or rotated 90 with the blade passing between the two branches?

And after I cut them, do I cover all cut sides with several coats of anchorseal?

rusticretreater

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/wood-figure/how-to-find-pearls-in-burls

I am undecided how to cut the burl based on the one picture.  Definitely contact your friend with full measurements LxWxH as he might have some other ideas.  I'm thinking trim the wood from the outside of the burl.  Other than that, I don't know.

Anchorseal yes.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

cutting to get both branches in one cut, will get crotch figure, but hard to know on the burl.  I am no expert, but I think the turner would use the outside curve of the log, as the base of a bowl that flares out.  It is possible the burl is primarily on the surface on both sides and not all the way through.  If the two branches grew together further down the tree, it is possible that much of the "burl" will include bark inclusion and need to be stabilized with epoxy or the like.  I have cut all of two burls and if you get lucky, it is so intense that it matters little how you cut it.   Or is ho hum and is not that impressive no matter how you cut it.  If you are sending all of it, then you could seal the ends and send to your buddy to decide and live with whatever it is.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!