iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock out of square - ideas to get back in square

Started by T4R11, Yesterday at 08:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T4R11

Loaded a 23" x 14' hemlock on the mill last night and after the first cut went 180 degrees for second cut no problems. Tried to rotate again to make the third cut but could not get the log to sit against the stops perfectly square...off just slightly. The log had some nasty damaged bark on it from handling. Anyway, made the cut and the fourth cut. Any suggestions on how best to get it back in square? Mill is a Timber Harvester.

Digger Don

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will chime in, but my suggestion would be a couple wedges under the cant to bring it up flush with your stops. Then flip it 180 and it should be square. I think. Don
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

moosehunter

I agree with Don, sometimes you gotta get that knarly bark out of the way before you square it up. If you have hydraulics you should be able to square it without wedges. I put my back stops at half mast, clamp with the clamp the bring the back stops up to level the cant.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

doc henderson

I have plastic speed squares out at the mill all the time to double check if things are wanky.  can be used after you have a cant if being square is more important than final size.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Digger Don

Quote from: moosehunter on Yesterday at 11:17:01 AMmh
Moose, I'll have to try that. I'm not sure it will work though, because I doubt that the stops are strong enough to move the log.
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

beenthere

Make the third cut a bit heavy, and just be sure the two-sided log doesn't move while making the cut. 
Then rotate to make the 4th cut, using shims or wedges to square up the 4th cut. Then return to the 3rd cut face and it should lay square if the shims and wedges were true. The last cut will true up for final cant size and be square. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have a 12" aluminum "carpenter's" square that is always available for me to check for squareness.  As was mentioned, saw a bit oversize and then true it up.  Try to always give yourself a half inch because if both sides of the blade are not in the wood you could get a raggedy surface. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

I use wedges, Ihave half a dozen various types around the mill.  I wish my mill had hydraulic backstops, but they weren't added for a couple more years. 

Thank You Sponsors!