iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HEY THE PIGROAST IS OVER,WHERE'S DA PICS!

Started by Paul_H, August 07, 2005, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ernie_Edwards

Well Darla was back at it again today, putting on a show for the visitors to the Buckley Old Engine Show. Unfortunately the rain came on strong and hard in the afternoon. We built her a new brick forge but didn't get the chimney done in time for the show so had a metal chimney/stack set up to get us thru the show. Well the rain was so hard it blew down the stack and put her fire out about 4:00 pm. But she got in a pretty full day. Lots of folks like to watch a blacksmith working and having a gal do it is just icing on the cake.

Jeff and Tammy are going to be here at the show displaying their dragsaws so we look foward to seeing them.  Be sure to bring a good framed tarp as there is still rain in the forcast.

Hope all FF members stop by  the blacksmith shop to say hi if you get to the Buckley Show.

Ernie edwards

beenthere

What types of blacksmithing are Darla's specialties?

Say hi to Jeff and Tammy for us. Hope JeffB is feeling better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie_Edwards

beenthere,

Darla started out 13 yrs ago as a farrier and got to tinkering with making things on the anvil. Being artistic she does make a lot of nice things for someone to use in their house. Fireplace sets to candle holders. Custom handles or anything a customer desires. She also does a lot of freehand plasma torch cutouts, mainly of animals. But her skidding tongs are in great demand with the loggers. She could work full time just making tongs but that is not her favorite job so just makes a set from time to time.

At the Buckley show she get called upon for various things needed for the show. Today it was some simple brackets for the folks running the prony brake. Tomorrow she will probably build a mechanism for the steam whistle on the steam trains engine. In between she just makes things that visitors request. I get real tired just watching her swing that hammer for 9-10 hrs. I just stand around trying to look useful. She tells everyone that I am her Vanna White.

Makes for long days by the time we feed the animals, do the show and come home and feed again. At least the show is only 4 days long. But there are a lot of nice people coming thru and it is great when you see them enjoying the blacksmithing.

Ernie Edwards

beenthere

Thanks for the info on Darla. What talent.
I'm impressed.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

DanG, forgot about that show!
I think my Aunt and Uncle were heading up there too.

pigman

Charlie listening to a good "Chet" joke. The way Charlie is smiling, it must be a good one.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Chet telling a "Chet" joke ??? smiley_headscratch
I guess it's possible, but I'm thinking he was telling Charlie about some nuts he tightened one time. ;D

Bibbyman

The girls are back in school.  Alex stared the third grade and Brooke in first.

Last evening Mary was going through her routine of looking through Brooke's backpack for notes from school and book she needed to read that evening and if she remember to turn in her lunch money, or if she'd put a dead rat in it some place.  You just never know what you'll find.

She felt something in a little pouch that was attached to one of the straps.  Looks like it was intended to carry a cell phone.  In it she found stuffed about 20 tickets from the pig roast.  Somehow Brooke managed to collect these at the pig roast and then stored them away.  Why?  She's a kid.  That's her job!

I asked her about the tickets this morning and she dug them out and handed them to me.  When I asked why she kept them, she said she thought we would need them again.  I guess in her mind they always had value and could be used anywhere – to see a movie,  a ride at the carnival.

Brooke has a number of little hidey places.  When she was really small we noted her working at something behind a double rocking chair that set next to the wall.  She'd hung a plastic grocery bag there and had all kinds of little items hidden in there.   

We'll often ask her where something went to and ask her to look for it. She'll go off and come back with it.  She knew where it was.  The nail clippers are always disappearing.   She is fascinated with them and uses them like a Swiss Army knife for all kinds of small jobs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D Keep the stories coming, Bibbyman. Those two are priceless.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!