iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post yer' biggest log you sawed up! PICS PLEASE - here's mine

Started by woodbowl, August 09, 2005, 09:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TexasTimbers

This is my biggest so far - it started out as a 30ish" Live Oak, and after whittling on it, it ended up as you see it here as roughly 24" X 5/4 flitches. I have bigger logs waiting to be cut, but haven't got them on the mill yet ...

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

UNCLEBUCK

Holy smokes Teen Swinger thats not a log that things a DanG dance floor  :o 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

BW_Williams

DanG, thanks for the how to in "Behind the Forum", I've forgotten how to post pics

Here's my largest, 54" at the widest spot, milled right where she fell.

Got alot of lumber out of her, but some rot and of course nails!

At this point I was able to move it with a tractor, took it home, flipped it over and got a real nice slab out of it, still drying.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

woodbowl

I finally got this wonker sided log on the mill. It was 48" at the widest point. Now making a notch so the blade guide will clear.  BW.............your log sure looks a lot bigger than 54".                                                                       
One more cut and the notch will be finished.                                             
Now the blade guide will clear.                                                                 
Barely able to get by.  Made some very nice 20" boards.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

UNCLEBUCK

Its all impressive ! What good is a heavy old circle mill ? Must be for mass production of common logs . You guys are doing some cool stuff here !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Arthur

Pics of Douglas Fir 48" and Red Rivergum in Victoria, Australia.  The butt log needed the mill at full extention and sitting on blocks.

Milled longer but no camera at the time

submarinesailor

Arky,

Wasn't that the log that ate your leg?  BTW, how is the leg?

Bruce/subsailor

BW_Williams

Woodbowl, you're correct, I should have said 54" across after chainsaw whitlin'.  It was very fluted, never measured it across the widest part.  Note the step in the 2nd pic, I walked right down that log (about a hundred times!)  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

ARKANSAWYER

Some logs are just happy to be sawn on a WoodMizer.  That was a natural stain on the bottom of the log.  Yep that was the log that broke my leg and I am fine now.   For a spell there I would be just walking along and it would go out and I would just fall down.  People was beging to think I took up drinking.  :o
ARKANSAWYER

woodbowl

Forgot about this one........... Deadhead Cypress, 40 + inches dia, Choctawhatchee river Fla. 2005.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

This is not THE biggest, but it is sure the kind I like! 8)

Time for that swingblade.  If you are wondering, Yes I have cut these with the chainsaw mill.
And if your wondering, yes I do have brain damage.
:D :) :D
PHil L.

[/img]
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

rvrdivr

Hey Woodbowl what part of FL are you from? My mill is set up in Branford.

Here is a 32" pecan I gathered from Lawtey Fl after it fell from one of the many hurricanes we had last fall.

[/img]

[/img]
I ended up with a 21" wide cant.

woodbowl

rvrdivr,
  I'm located in the panhandle close to where Fla, Ga and Ala come together. It sounds like you're way down south.   Did you hit any nails in that pecan? It looks like a real good candidate for them.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

FeltzE

Red Oak, not the biggest we've cut but near too it, we have had logs too heavy for the mizer to pick up or roll, resorted to using additional equipment to maneuver the log over on the mill. Joy...  ;)

submarinesailor

That sure is a pretty red oak.  What was the final BF total?

Bruce/subsailor

rvrdivr

All the Pecan I got was yard trees but so far no nails. I haven't cut it all up yet and its coming up on a year. The old saying is true...cut it soon after its cut down. It gets hard as nails if you don't.

Below is a red oak I got from my neighbor. Luckly I didn't have far to travel cause it destroyed my trailer. I had to replace 5 of the deck supports and one of the axles. The other axle still has a lean to it. I can't remember but I think it is over 40" in diameter. I am going to quarter this one.

[/img]

Dan_Shade

ouch, how did you load it to cause that kind of damage?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Holy Road Sparks, Batman! :o :o  That thing done a number on your trailer!  Looks like the tail-light is ok.  Maybe ya oughta put a new trailer on the front of it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

DanG,  :D :D :D :D :D

How'd you onload that monster?  Looks like that log laughed at those wooden stakes too.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

FeltzE

bruce,

That was a 10 ' by just over 36" oak, yield of 500 some odd feet, I don't remember exactly...

Found 3 monsters to take to Vass for the forestry / logging event that GaBoy is comming to visit over, with his swing blade to demo...

Better check for nails... hmmmm....

Eric

rvrdivr

We loaded it with a track hoe. The operator didn't listen when I said, easy :D It also took out the rail and fender on the other side. I unloaded it by pulling it off. That also caused more damage :D :D It's all fun and games aint it ;D

Part_Timer

"A friend of mine says if it aint broke you ain't having enough fun".   Looks like you had about more fun than you could handle ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Thank You Sponsors!