The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New saw adjust  (Read 941 times)

Offline minesmoria

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
New saw adjust
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »
I have ran two tanks of gas in my new husky 359, i have a techometer and plan on setting the high  speed to 13 500 per specs

But i have one of those walkerized mufflers would this mean i should set it less say 13200?

Offline fishhuntcutwood

• I love the smell of two-stroke and wood chips.
    • Share Post
Re: New saw adjust
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:28:11 AM »
But i have one of those walkerized mufflers would this mean i should set it less say 13200?

Quite the opposite.  Opening a muffler, via an enlarged port, a dual port cover, or via Walkers it allows the saw to run faster, which is one of the benefits...but not too much faster.  This is where a guy needs to know how to tune a saw by ear, and in a cut.  After the muffler is opened, the baseline RPM numbers are no longer valid, as you're now allowing more air through the saw.  There's a good tutorial on Madsen's website.  Do a search on here, and you'll find the link.   

If you just open the muffler and don't adjust the carb, it'll be running lean and fast.  This is where you need to richen it up, but you need to richen it relative to the opened up numbers, and not the stock numbers.  Say it runs 13,5 stock, and now it runs 14k opened.  You'd richen it up relative to the 14k, which would put you somewhere around 13,7 or 13,8. (These are all just random numbers I'm throwing out for examples sake.)

You'll need to tune the saw by ear and in wood to get it running right.  If you set it to 13,5 or 13,2 with an opened muffler, you'll be way rich, and way rich is bad on a saw too.  Tune it by ear, and then use your tach to make sure you aren't screaming along at 15k.  Tune it, run it, and then check it.  If you try to tune an opened saw to a certain number with a tach it is a shot in the dark. It really is with any saw, but more so with an opened one.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Why adjust bar oil?

Started by Hawkshoe on Chainsaws

23 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 12:00:54 AM
by chucker
xx
Help me adjust my mill

Started by Engineer on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 05:10:57 PM
by Dave Shepard