iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We were logging today.

Started by Jeff, September 11, 2005, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My wheels stick up a lot higher then that, but we easily got two rows of logs on. THe second row goes on easiest.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Not trying to tell the boss what to do or nothing, but your your design some recievers for some fender brackets to set in and then you have bolts to anchor them in tight.

Then, whe you are loading logs remove the fender from the bracket recievers.  

for easy loading over the tires, install some secondary brackes of 2" tubing that is 1/3" wall, use these brackets for a loading framework somewhat like a beavertale on the end of a equipment trailer.  You could even install a roller or two to ease the loading over the tires.
Frank Pender

Furby

Top of the telephone poles is over 10" off the deck.

Rec room looks good! ;)
They just sold one about that size yesterday, didn't catch what it went for but they built it on runners to be moveable.

Jeff

Frank, I have the steel bought and in the back of my truck for doing just that. 8)

Here is a photo of the 2 by 10 floor joists we cut a week ago.

Jeff

Furby, this one is 12 by 16 with the loft it takes up 16 by 16. Tammy plans a porch under the loft.  To big for going down the road, but we built this heavy to be moved around the property as we need to.

Furby

Yeah the one I saw was 12x20 plus the eaves.
Thought about it as we need one up at the lake, but decided I'll build one........someday. ::)
Actually wanted to make it log cabin style.

Are you going to match the house siding?

pigman

Jeff wrote "We are building a shed/poolhouse/guesthouse/doghouse."   I am now making my resevations for the next piggy roast. I want the guesthouse portion. I don't want to  run the dog out of his portion. ::) :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

I was wondering about that last part too. Hope the dog is on good terms with the guests. BTW. I love the smell of fresh cut pine but the pitch is a bear to get off :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I would be the dog. Currently I have no place to escape to if needed. :)

Bro. Noble

Frank,

You better watch out telling the 'Big Guy' what to do :o-----------that's Tammy's job ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DonE911

I was considering setting up a trailer to winch logs up like that....    what size winch are you using? 

Frank_Pender

Bro. Noble, ZI am sue to that sort of behavior , I do it around here all of the time.  I feel rather safe, as I have my whining room attatched the the main part of the house and do not even have to leave into the dark or dank weather. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

Quote from: DonE911 on September 12, 2005, 10:03:30 AM
I was considering setting up a trailer to winch logs up like that....    what size winch are you using? 

Its a 1700 lb.  I got it a tractor supply. Here is a link

Seemed to have plenty of power. Even after winching on 9 logs the battery showed no signs of weakness.

DonE911

Thanks for the inff Jeff.   

The farmer down the road has a 2000lb ATV winch still in the box he wants to sell cheap....  bought the winch before the ATV and never got the ATV...   it should work for me I guess.

Jeff

Don, I would sure think so. Chet has a winch that I think is a tad smaller then mine and he manages to load some pretty big red oak with it.  I bet the one I saw on one of his loads was 30inch plus.  His fenders look good too. :)

timberjack240

jeff
you cood do like my pap did when he was a kid cuttin pulpwood load em by hand   :D just grab ahold of em and throw em on youll feel good till the end of the day  ;D  :D  ::) maybe

Furby

Well I do load logs like Jeff had by hand.
A chain and a strap, down and around and my body weight off the fender and it's done!

Have also done end for end (lift one end on and then try to lift the other) and I REALLY don't like that!!!

pigman

Quote from: Furby on September 12, 2005, 08:06:28 PM

my body weight off the fender and it's done!

The thing is Furby, most people do not have  the body weight that you have. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

By hand?  THose larger logs are over 600 lbs.

ohsoloco

Were the logs all that sappy Jeff  ???  I like cutting red pine...white pine is one of my favorites, but it has a little more sap than the red from what I've milled.  Blue spruce in the other hand....  :-\

Tom

That's why I like Southern yellow Pine.  It's not sappy at all. ;D

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Jeff B on September 12, 2005, 08:44:59 PM
By hand?  THose larger logs are over 600 lbs.

that's nothing, get to it!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Green they are a little pitchy but It's what I would expect.

Furby

Quote from: Jeff B on September 12, 2005, 08:44:59 PM
By hand? THose larger logs are over 600 lbs.
Don't tell me I need to drive up there and show you! ::)
I can see it being a problem with your shoulder though, so I'm not suggesting you try it! ;)

DonE911

OK.... got me a new winch ..  2000lb ATV winch for $50.   Well I will have it when I go get it... even comes with the correct mount for my ATV... just lucky on that part.

How do you have your winch mounted.  Looks like its mounted on the tongue and maybe a block on the other side of the fender you're smash'n.  Is it solid mounted or on some type of swivel?

Thank You Sponsors!