Sponsors:

POLL Bird flu

Started by Ernie, September 22, 2005, 03:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

This is the most recent thinking here in New Zealand

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3419499a11,00.html

Thanks for your vote
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

I have not voted as I can think of an answer I would choose. In actuallity, if an avian super flu becomes a pandemic, closing the borders is simply not even possible in this day and age.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Ernie I added an option to your poll.

Ernie

Thanks Jeff,  I should have thought of that option
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Interesting reading from this link. I actually did some research into this one night after watching an interesting National Geographic spot on the subject. Had this link in favorites.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/

Bro. Noble

I'm a little confused,

Even if the birds see the 'closed, do not enter' signs,  what if they don't read english or don't give a DanG?

;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

I've been giving this some thought, Br'er Noble.  I think that what the Government would do, not being able to control the birds, would be to make everybody who gets sick go sit outside of the border till they got well.  :)

Onthesauk

A book worth reading is "The Great Influenza" by John M. Barry, about the 1918 influenza, (read bird flu,) attack.  Interesting, frighening, gives you a greater appreciation of our health care system.  Had aunts and uncles who went through it and has been interesting to me how little has been written about it and how few stories there were about it.  

As a result, I've been following a lot of the international news stories about the current bird flu and it is not reassuring.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

you're right, onthesauk.  Influenza is a terrible disease, for the young and the old especially.  It seems that the only real combat is identification and vaccination though.

Onthesauk

Oddly enough, the version that went around in 1918 was toughest on those in the prime of their lives, 17 through 30 years old.  Their immune system is what eventually killed them and their system was the strongest.  The young and the elderly fared better.

With much smaller populations in thoses days, there are still estimates of 50 to 100 million dead over about 18 months, no one really knows for sure. 

Need something to lay awake and worry about at night?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

Nah.  there's too much of that running around now.   I'll lay awake looking for something to make me smile.  :D

CHARLIE

It would be impossible for the U.S. and the European countries to close their borders. But small countries.....especially those that are already isolated (ie: New Zealand, Iceland etc) might be able to.  I'll just try to wash my hands frequently, keep my hands away from my face and not get to close to others. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

NZJake

Thanks for the info Ernie. Bird flu is seriously spooky stuff. It's good to know a little about it.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Thank You Sponsors!